• May 05, 2024, 03:58:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: CES interview  (Read 3334 times)

wavelet

• View Profile
Re: CES interview
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2022, 06:42:45 PM »

I'd disagree about the notion of there being no such thing as a frameless motorcycle. At the very least the BMW Telelever boxer bikes use the engine as the "frame". There are subframes attached to the front and rear to hang things on but that's all.
Frameless design is pretty much a certainty and I'd say even a necessity for EV motorcycles to ultimately compete with ICE to get the pack large enough and light enough.

Cas :)
That's just it, and I explicitly said so -- that's not frameless. On those boxers, the engine also serves as the central part of the frame, and the front & rear subframes that attach to it are also part of the frame. And of course there are other designs like this. "frameless" does not mean "lacking a separate load-bearing-only frame".

Anything which is required to bear external loads is by definition part of the frame, no matter what other purpose(s) it serves. Which is why there can't be frameless motorcycles, at least not in non-zero gravity  :D

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2022, 06:52:19 PM »

Ok but I think you might win the pedantry award here! I think when we say "frame" in this context we mean a structure that conducts all or part of the load from one wheel to the other that has no other primary function. Many bikes these days use engines as stressed members of their frames but still have a single structure that joins both ends of the load. The boxers do not - there is only an engine between the wheels.

Cas :)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2022, 07:12:53 PM »

Wavelet, there is no frame.
Don't try to split hairs with some "technical " definition to save face.  There is no outer tubular or Zero style structure that serves to hold the bike together.
By attaching the swingarm and rear seat section directly to the Hyperdrve unit, which contains the battery and most all of the electronic components in one sealed unit.  You avoid the extra weight of a FRAME.

Feel free to look over their website and read about the features.  After that you ask me any questions you might have.

It's easier than correcting a misstatement.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 03:23:47 AM by NEW2elec »

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2022, 09:17:11 PM »

Just for you because I had to dig to find it .  There is music in the background but you get an idea.
From the Yotube channel Electric Vehicles Space.

I was playing this video and watching from second 6 to approx second 30 the frames per second and the rotational speed of the sprocket and the spokes of the rim go opposite ways at times.  Perhaps there is a one way clutch in the hub?

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2022, 09:32:50 PM »

I was playing this video and watching from second 6 to approx second 30 the frames per second and the rotational speed of the sprocket and the spokes of the rim go opposite ways at times.  Perhaps there is a one way clutch in the hub?

that's just an optical illusion caused by the frame rate of the camera. Similar to the pulsing headlights in that time.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2022, 10:00:06 PM »

When the wheel speeds up the sprocket and the wheel do the same thing.  When he lets off the sprocket appears to go one way while the rim goes the other way.  Or appear stationary for an instant while the other is moving.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2022, 03:25:16 AM »

Fran K it's just what Staples said.  You would need a high speed camera to see it spinning the way you would watching it in person.
Pages: 1 2 [3]