• May 05, 2024, 01:22:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Damon Powertrain Secrets?  (Read 1227 times)

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
Damon Powertrain Secrets?
« on: February 08, 2022, 10:41:31 AM »

Saw this on Facebook.

Under the amazingly made plastics of the Damon we have what appears to be a Zero drivetrain.

You can see they put a lot of effort into building the prototype since they didn't cut the extra off the zipties. It also appears to be partially held together by a door hinge from Home Depot (or is it Canadian Tire?).

This makes me question the reasoning behind using a Zero drivetrain. Is it normal for manufacturers to use entire drivetrains from their competitors in their own designs? Would seem to me that this is a lot of extra work without a clear purpose.

Curt

• View Profile
Re: Damon Powertrain Secrets?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 11:40:25 AM »

A few of those body parts look 3D-printed, don't they?

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: Damon Powertrain Secrets?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 12:59:53 PM »

I'm certainly not here to defend Damon, but in this case I will step in to say those photos are from like the very very first prototype at CES in like 2019 or something before they were talking about making a new motor. The models they showed at CES 2022 appeared to have an entirely different motor design. But yes they've been super snarky the entire time, trashing other manufacturers like Zero so I do love the hypocrisy.

As for the 3D printing, they're still doing that shit. While the photos you linked may be quite old, these are quite fresh from CES Vegas 2022:

As someone else said, "They couldn't even get a lackey to run a craft knife down the edges to clean them up. For fuck's sake. I've seen better results from people using one of those those filament doodle pens."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 01:01:47 PM by MVetter »
Pages: [1]