• May 06, 2024, 09:56:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rear brake noise (clunk)  (Read 696 times)

Luke2718V

• View Profile
Rear brake noise (clunk)
« on: May 13, 2016, 08:13:17 PM »

So my new SR has a rear brake assembly that doesn't sit exactly right. The channel that sits against the swing arm and keeps the assembly from rotating is wider than the round nubbin/bolt/bit/thingy that is welded to the inside of the swing arm. The result is that when I apply the rear brake, the assembly rotates a little and hits the thingy with an audible clunk. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, and I have figured out that if I never stop rolling forward it won't reset. However, once I come to full stop, or roll backward, it unsets and will clunk during the next brake application.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does it ever go away? How have you dealt with it (shims, ear plugs, ignoring it)?

Thanks

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake noise (clunk)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 06:30:01 AM »

This has never happened with either of my bikes - there's a fair amount of friction holding the caliper retainers in place.

For now, you might try a heavy duty tie-wrap through the retainer & swingarm - I've seen this done to hold the brake in place during wheel removal.  At the next tire change, you could cut a small piece of thinwall clear tubing and hammer it onto the peg, maybe with a little heat and possibly some adhesive if you're sure it fits properly.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

Ndm

• View Profile
Re: Rear brake noise (clunk)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 04:39:01 PM »

Electrical heat shrink tubing does the trick
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike
Pages: [1]