• May 06, 2024, 06:48:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero and "dumb" J1772 charging  (Read 7235 times)

09Klr650

• View Profile
Zero and "dumb" J1772 charging
« on: January 07, 2019, 10:27:16 PM »

I plan on purchasing a Zero early this year for use as a commuter. Unfortunately I will need to charge at a location that, while they have L2 chargers, have stated I cannot use the 120V receptacles for charging. Crazy I know as they are providing free L2 charging but will not allow L1? My question is in regards to the type of charging adapter to buy. I believe the standard J1772 adapter sold by Zero and Tucson do not provide the two levels of "signaling" resistance that some chargers look for. Is this an issue with the typical charging station? Or should I step up to either the Tucson model with the generator box or just build my own? Looks pretty basic with a simple switch, a few resistors and perhaps some indicator LEDs if I want to get fancy. 

Thanks.

caza

• View Profile
Re: Zero and "dumb" J1772 charging
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 10:39:10 PM »

My experience with the zero j plug adapter is that it works with all the charging stations I've tried. Mostly charge point stations.
2015 Zero SR + Power Tank

09Klr650

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:45:17 PM »

My experience with the zero j plug adapter is that it works with all the charging stations I've tried. Mostly charge point stations.
Thanks. I did reach out to Clipper Creek (the manufacturer of the stations at the location mentioned) and they stated there are no issues with their chargers. Add in Chargepoint and that covers 90% of the stations anywhere near me. I expect I will order from Tucson and get the version with the extra plug in it just in case I upgrade to a second charger.

Just got to lose a few more lbs as I am at the upper limit of the weight range for Zeros. Sort of a "incentive" to get the weight off!

MVetter

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 03:57:32 AM »

Ah yes I remember your post on /r/zeromotorcycles.

Still set on getting the single 3.6kW short brick?
Pages: [1]