• May 08, 2024, 12:31:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First error, probably due to the cold temp  (Read 2529 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: First error, probably due to the cold temp
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 03:53:05 AM »

On my last EMS GPR-S, the contactor would fail most of the time when I braked to a stop.  Everything would work, but the motor was not getting any juice.  The bike had an old Sevcon controller and I had a programer for it that indicated a "contactor error" when these failures occurred.  If I waited exactly 3 minutes, the bike would start up again and run for a few more miles until it happened again.  It wasn't long after that that the BMS failed and took out all 24 batteries in the bike's pack.   :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 04:44:53 PM »

NoiseBoy
If the contactor wasnt throwing you wouldnt have any power, so you wouldnt see anything on the dash at all

Are you sure? or do you reckon it is so?

My heated grips and headlight don't work until the contactor throws, unless there is a secondary circuit on the DC-DC with a separate relay?

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 05:28:22 AM »

Strange, I know that the headlight on my ZF9 will come on even if the contactor fails to engage.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 10:27:01 PM »

I had the same issue. My dealer told me that they had a fix for it.

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »

Well my dealer did the fix (bike software upgrade) and ... I still have the same issue.
It does not seem to be temperature related (it happends when I'm starting the bike outside as well as after one day at the office's heated parking):
    - no "click" when you turn the key on
    - red light flashing twice quickly, a pause, then one
    - if I turn off and on several time i finally hear the click and am able to start

Zero S 2013

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 02:13:34 AM »

Well my dealer did the fix (bike software upgrade) and ... I still have the same issue.
It does not seem to be temperature related (it happends when I'm starting the bike outside as well as after one day at the office's heated parking):
    - no "click" when you turn the key on
    - red light flashing twice quickly, a pause, then one
    - if I turn off and on several time i finally hear the click and am able to start

Zero S 2013

Your office heats their parking garage? That is madness.

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 04:50:20 PM »

Well they dont heat it specifically, but since it is an underground parking, and office are above, it stays at a normal temperature. So the key start bug is probably no related to temperature...

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »

The red light flashing quickly twice, pause, and then one is just the fault indicator showing that your contactor hasn't closed when it should have. I don't think it has any other additional meaning.

Trikester

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 03:59:19 AM »

About 2 months ago, My 2013S wouldn't go with the first boot up. Reboot and off I went. Then it seemed like every few startups it needed a 2nd boot to go. Now it always takes 2 boots to get the bike going. Everything looks good to go with the first boot, but twist the throttle and nothing happens. Turn the key off and on and after the reboot, you hear a click and it is good to go. Whatever that click is, I don't think I  hear it with the first boot, and although it seems to be related to cooler weather, I can't say positively it is. Is that a contactor sound?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 05:34:07 AM »

About 2 months ago, My 2013S wouldn't go with the first boot up. Reboot and off I went. Then it seemed like every few startups it needed a 2nd boot to go. Now it always takes 2 boots to get the bike going. Everything looks good to go with the first boot, but twist the throttle and nothing happens. Turn the key off and on and after the reboot, you hear a click and it is good to go. Whatever that click is, I don't think I  hear it with the first boot, and although it seems to be related to cooler weather, I can't say positively it is. Is that a contactor sound?

My 2012 bike does exactly the same thing.  I am pretty sure that the "click" is the contactor switch activating.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 06:36:01 AM »

Thanks Richard. So long as it stays that way, no problem. I just wouldn't want to have to keep rebooting more than twice like someone else reported needing to do. Short ride today. AF1 replaced a turn signal relay for me and I rode it straight home and plugged it in since we are having cold weather. 46F for a high. Even 6 layers of clothes didn't keep me warm enough to do any more riding. I think the cold snap is over after today though...Unfortunately, now comes the rain. 

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 07:29:50 AM »

I had the exact same issue 3 times since yesterday, always when I turn the bike ON, but not happening after being disconnected from charge. It was 5 Celsius. Repetitive so I'm not worried.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 07:32:12 AM »

Upgraded firmware at dealer today, he said that it may resolve the contactor error, we will see.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 07:38:47 AM »

It should. The new firmware fixed my problem. Haven't had to re-boot even once since the fix.
Pages: 1 [2]