• May 05, 2024, 08:22:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Battery problem  (Read 2536 times)

Fran K

• View Profile
Re: Battery problem
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2021, 06:44:30 AM »

BTW, I'm not at all convinced that they would replace a single module on a BMW with any real mileage because they need to be similar impedance and its almost impossible to match a a new battery to an old one. Zero learned this when people tried to add powertanks to older MY bikes or when replacing one module on an fx.

So buying an FX3.6 and another battery in a few years isn't a good idea?

Don't the police and military bikes come with 4 batteries two spares and two to use?  I could see having a fleet of these might be pretty easy to get a pair that have quite a bit different amount of use.  Do such instructions come with these models to keep the batteries in pairs?

Fran

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2021, 07:05:13 AM »

They do, and yes. Generally mixing and matching batteries of different ages is bad. Police and gov units buy batteries at the same time as the fleet or replace them all in a batch. This way they all should be fairly similar on age/number of miles.

Generally, if you have say a 2020 battery and a 2016 battery in a bike, you'd expect to see increased wear on the 2020 battery, decreased performance, issues at lower SOC and SOC fluctuations. Just due to things like different battery chemistries and wear levels. It's a bit better recently since the chemistry hasn't changed since 2016MY. but the wear issue is huge,

About a year ago we had a rash of powertank/monolith bikes stranding people because the newer power tank and older monolith discharge at different rates on a ride, and the voltages were too far apart to safely close the contactors once they tried to go again. Software fixes were applied, but the issue remained. Most of those bikes got both their batteries replaced, and Zero started mandating no power tanks for bikes past a certain age.

Generally we advise people to buy 2 modular FX batteries if they want that, and a powertank soon after the monolith for the same reasons. Zero seems to be moving away from the modular FX, I think they stopped selling them in the EU.

I feel bad for the people who's batteries give out outside of warranty. They're expensive, replacing them isn't always cost effective. I'm sure Zero would love to allow us to do cheaper cell box repairs, or charge for refurbishment, it just doesn't seem to be possible with today's battery tech.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 07:16:17 AM by Auriga »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2021, 12:19:08 PM »

This won't be an issue once there are more EVs in the world and recycling batteries has become more formalized and less haphazard.

Yeah, it's a big cost... But you'll be able to send those older batteries off to their second life or the recycler and subsidize the cost.

Being not repairable here actually makes them much more durable.  And lighter.  And have more capacity.  And the larger unit is more easily replaceable.  And there's not much difference in the safety between 60v and 100v.

-Crissa
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:39:55 AM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

centra12

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2021, 02:18:31 PM »

The FX models are just further proof that Zero only delivers technical rubbish.

A motorbike with a C-rate like this is simply bullshit!
The rated voltage of my c evo is 133 volts, which is not very high, but still better than the ridiculous 102 volts from Zero.

Zero is also proud of a 900Amper controller on its SRF/S models, which alone shows that they have not understood electric mobility.

centra12

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2021, 06:20:37 PM »

This won't be an issue once there are more EVs in the world and recycling batteries has become more formalized and less haphazard.

Yeah, it's a big cost... But you'll be able to send those older batteries off to their second life or the recycler and subsidize the cost.

Being not repairable here actually makes them much more durable.  And lighter.  And have more capacity.  And the larger unit is more easily replaceable.  And there's not much difference in the safety between 60v and 100v.

-Crissa

-Crissa

The statement about voltage only proves that you have absolutely no idea about electricity.
 This is about the touch voltage and there is a clear difference between 60 and 100 volts.

Why don't you go to Amazon and buy a reference book on electrics.
Now with Corona is the right time to educate yourself.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 06:22:11 PM by centra12 »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2021, 11:51:46 AM »

This is nuts.  The battery in an FX can be charged at 1 C.  The battery of the C Evolution is said to be stuck at 0.3C.  What are you even talking about?  The FX's onboard charger is dinky, that's true.  But an FX also weighs less than 1/2 what a C Evolution does.

This is about the touch voltage and there is a clear difference between 60 and 100 volts.

Why don't you go to Amazon and buy a reference book on electrics.
Now with Corona is the right time to educate yourself.
Yeah.  You don't know squat, but thanks for pretending you do.

The safety is the same for 60v as for 100v because the tools available don't make a difference between them.  I'm not going to need different insulators, or connectors for a 60v line as 100v.  Yes, one is almost twice the other but there is no practical difference, I don't want to touch either at the amps these batteries put out.

I don't have a clue what you think you're talking about.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

centra12

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2021, 01:44:24 PM »

And another proof that you have no idea about the technology of electric vehicles. The C-rate has nothing to do with the temperature but with the maximum current consumption of the vehicle in relation to the battery size.

The tools for repair are the same, I agree, but the safety requirements are clearly easier at <60 volts.
Even live parts can be touched without protective equipment without getting a fatal shock like at 100 volts.
The series connection of the individual modules is also an advantage during repair. If this is interrupted, you are immediately in the safe area. Try this once with the Zero battery

As I said, try it once at Amazon  ???

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2021, 01:53:12 PM »

And another proof that you have no idea about the technology of electric vehicles. The C-rate has nothing to do with the temperature but with the maximum current consumption of the vehicle in relation to the battery size.
Of course it has to do with temperature.

But I didn't mention temperature.

And I didn't miss how you didn't correct your statement about the FX but instead distracted again with another ad hominem.

Are you done pretending you have authority here?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

centra12

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2021, 02:10:01 PM »

This is nuts.  The battery in an FX can be charged at 1 C.  The battery of the C Evolution is said to be stuck at 0.3C.  What are you even talking about?  The FX's onboard charger is dinky, that's true.  But an FX also weighs less than 1/2 what a C Evolution does.

-Crissa

Then you'll just have to express yourself more clearly?!

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2021, 04:29:13 PM »

Then you'll just have to express yourself more clearly?!
You literally said C rate, then quoted yourself and I using it, and now you're confused?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

centra12

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2021, 04:40:08 PM »

Please inform yourself about the technical terms of electromobility.

If you don't know them, that's not my problem, or are we in nursery  here?!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2021, 07:43:23 PM »

Is this a pissing match?   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2021, 03:51:58 AM »

I have no idea what they're on about, Richard.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]