• May 05, 2024, 02:47:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Guy Martin confirmed at Mugen for TT Zero bid  (Read 1062 times)

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
Guy Martin confirmed at Mugen for TT Zero bid
« on: February 15, 2017, 06:58:26 AM »

Just finished watching "The Boat the Guy Built" series on youtube... (and couldn't think how to plug that series and stay on topic when i stumbled across this... )

From "crash.net":

Guy Martin has been confirmed in Team Mugen alongside John McGuinness for the TT Zero race at the Isle of Man TT in June.

The Lincolnshire rider previously made his debut in the clean emissions race at the TT in 2015 on the American Victory machine and finished fourth behind team-mate Lee Johnston.

Martin, who returns to road racing in 2017 after signing for Honda Racing, takes over from Bruce Anstey in the Japanese team, who won the TT Zero race last year for the first time.

The new model will be known as the Shinden Roku and is set to be unveiled at the Tokyo Motorcycle Show at the end of March. Both Martin and McGuinness are set to the test the 2017 Mugen in Tokyo in March.

A team statement said: “In April both riders will fly out to Tokyo where they will meet up with their 2017 TT Zero machines, Shinden Roku (Shinden 6), and the dedicated team behind the machine that is expected to break the land-mark 120mph barrier for the first time this year.

“Having been an integral part of the Mugen Shinden project since the start of the programme in 2012, for John McGuinness it will be like returning to family, and for Guy Martin it will be an introduction to the battery-powered bike that he hopes will take him to his first TT Zero victory.

Morecambe man McGuinness holds the lap record for the TT Zero class at 119.279mph, which he set in 2015. The 23-time TT winner has won the race twice and finished as the runner-up on two occasions.

http://www.crash.net/road-racing/news/240225/1/guy-martin-confirmed-at-mugen-for-tt-zero-bid.html

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Guy Martin confirmed at Mugen for TT Zero bid
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 07:05:32 AM »

This is exciting and I know nothing about racing. Who are the closest-performance competitors?

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 03:49:28 PM »

GET IN!  ;D

Its no secret that he liked the Victory ride last year (though he still out an out prefers an ICE bike) and he's been looking for a TT win, any TT win for nearly a decade.
So riding for Mugen is a fairly obvious choice, though if McPint is in the other seat, he's still going to have to work for it.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 07:39:09 AM »

This is exciting and I know nothing about racing. Who are the closest-performance competitors?

Victory Racing and Sarolea. Victory is dead and their race team manager Brian Wissman has moved on to Zero. Sarolea has come to compete several times, they get faster and faster in practice but last year they failed to start completely on race day.

I'd love to see Energica field an entry .. or even Zero. Zero has been intermittently active in racing in the past, perhaps Brian will agitate for some additional real-world testing :)
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 03:34:24 PM »

Victory Racing and Sarolea. Victory is dead and their race team manager Brian Wissman has moved on to Zero. Sarolea has come to compete several times, they get faster and faster in practice but last year they failed to start completely on race day.

I'd love to see Energica field an entry .. or even Zero. Zero has been intermittently active in racing in the past, perhaps Brian will agitate for some additional real-world testing :)

To be honest, Energica themselves don't need to run. The Ego, in race fit, is almost competitive. A privateer team could enter on an EGO if they wished, which in my honest opinion would be better than Energica themselves entering. Hell if I were twenty years younger and had the money, I'd consider it. ;)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »

Guy Martin is still in, just a little change in team mate.

"Bruce Antsey will replace John McGuinness to pilot the number one plate Mugen Shinden Roku in the TT Zero Challenge class at the 2017 Isle of Man TT races. McGuinness has been ruled out of the Isle of Man TT after sustaining injuries including a badly broken right leg in a crash during practice at the North West 200. The one lap TT Zero event will take place on 4 June 2017."

McGuinness and Dixon are wished a speedy recovery, as speed is one thing they do best.

More at:
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/bruce-antsey-to-replace-john-mcguinness-for-tt-zero-1697895

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 01:39:47 AM »

To be honest, Energica themselves don't need to run. The Ego, in race fit, is almost competitive. A privateer team could enter on an EGO if they wished, which in my honest opinion would be better than Energica themselves entering. Hell if I were twenty years younger and had the money, I'd consider it. ;)

I believe battery capacity is a primary limitation of the TT Zero racers. They have to throttle back to avoid running out of battery before the end of the course. Given that the Ego's battery is not even as big as a stock Zero SR I would be doubtful it would be competitive without a battery upgrade.
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 05:39:54 PM »

I believe battery capacity is a primary limitation of the TT Zero racers. They have to throttle back to avoid running out of battery before the end of the course. Given that the Ego's battery is not even as big as a stock Zero SR I would be doubtful it would be competitive without a battery upgrade.

We'll find out in a weeks time, as a Energica semi-privateer team is indeed running. (Moto Corsa the UK dealer for Energica)
Looks like Lightning are also running a pair of their bikes! Finally we'll get to see how the LS-218 (or derivative thereof) compares to the Mugens around the mountain.

The UoN team posted their copy of the running order here.
https://www.facebook.com/UoNSuperBike/photos/a.411821838982604.1073741828.406489666182488/777748435723274/?type=3&theater
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 05:57:08 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900
Pages: [1]