• May 06, 2024, 09:53:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New FXS owner saying hi.  (Read 469 times)

ieism

• View Profile
New FXS owner saying hi.
« on: October 17, 2019, 12:49:24 AM »

Got my 2019 FXS a few weeks ago, and I'm loving riding it around Amsterdam. I've been driving an electric car for 6 years, but this is my first electric motorcycle. It's pretty quick, I like it.

I've had to dial back the preload in the forks, and open the compression as I'm probably too light for the bike and it wasn't smooth on small bumps. Much better now.

I also wish the bars were a bit less wide. The bike is easy to steer, I think I could cut an inch of the handlebars and it would be better in traffic for me. I might switch to other mirrors as well, maybe under bar ones.

I will probably also shorten the rear fender/numberplate holder soon. It would look better imo. And if somebody knows an aftermarket brake lever that would fit and is more of a two finger design I would be interested. Something like a Protaper lever would be better for me as the brakes are strong and a two finger lever is easily enough for me and would be safer in traffic.

Also wish I could fit something like a Heidenau k73 or Shinko 003 Stealth but there probably isn't something narrow enough. Maybe I'm just not used to riding on slick and wet roads anymore, but the bike slides easy in corners under power. It's scaring me a bit, maybe I'm just getting old.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:53:47 AM by ieism »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: New FXS owner saying hi.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 01:48:57 AM »

Some of the slide is due to the amount of torque (or stopping power) that the Zero can create.  You can tweak that a little in custom.  Personally, I have default torque and regen turned waaaay down; (22% and 0%) and have all the regen attached to braking.

That might make up a little for the narrower tires, but it is something you can play around with.  Of course, I'm a newbie to all this, so I'm probably using way easier settings than you'd want to.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 01:53:59 AM »

There are no other levers that will fit. I run a Suzuki DR400SM master cylinder with a Zeta folding lever.

ieism

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 05:09:57 PM »

Thanks for the input, I didn't think of replacing the master cylinder that could be a good option too if I can't find a lever that fits.

I might stick with the tires for a while, untill I'm used to the bike more. But we have cobblestone roads and tramrails in town a lot and I think more profiled tires will do a better job at that. I also would like to ride dirtroads and trails with the bike next summer so something like a k73 would be much better for that anyway.

It's good to see such an active community for these bikes, I hope in the future I can contribute something usefull.

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 08:28:22 PM »

Welcome ! I really enjoy this model. Some ideas you might find useful:
   - adding a small adaptable windshield (30$ on aliexpress, works very well)
   - a custom seat (more comfortable for the passengers, and adds a small backseat for the driver)
   - adding a zero s front fender to stop excessive water projection on the feet (i kept the stock fender)
   - adding a small tank bag for rain pants (acerbis)
   - putting a much stronger light for the full light mode (2$ on alibaba  some duct tape needed)
   - adding a magic button that opens my garage door
   - buying a disc brake lock (it fits on the passenger foot peg fixation when not used)
    - adding hand protection that also add a pair of turn signal leds (adaptable) to be more visible when splitting lanes
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

ieism

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 12:57:15 AM »

I've seen a few post on an Led bulb in the stock housing, so I've ordered some Morimoto bulbs to get a bit more light output. I also noticed the high beams are kind off focused weird, more like a spotlight. Has anybody replaced the projector with the same type as the regular headlight to double the output for normal riding? The highbeans are kind of useless to me.
Can you buy just the left side projrctor at all?
Pages: [1]