• May 07, 2024, 08:08:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: fairing fitment questions  (Read 4539 times)

quixotic

• View Profile
Re: fairing fitment questions
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2016, 08:41:42 AM »

I think quality on a fairing relates a lot to how many attachment points there are to the bike.  That affects the rigidity. 

That is certainly food for thought. Thanks for sharing your updates all around - the bike certainly looks good!

Thanks Brian.  Much appreciated.
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 07:53:15 AM »

I finally got around to getting some decent photos of the fairing and bike.  Next on the project list (but way off in 2017 some time) will be something to utilize those indents for a motor cooling vent system.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 07:13:57 PM »

Looks neat.

I'm planning to do something similar with a more tourish kind of fairing.

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 07:28:39 AM »

Well, I finally got around to installing the vents.  I used what I elsewhere called on this site "poor man's fiberglass" (sheet-rock paste, white glue, blue shop towels, and rust paint and varathane for sealing).  The intake plate is 1/8", 3-ply plywood.

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 07:29:43 AM »

...and a rear view.

(the various images on the tank area were pasted on with weather-proof Mod-Podge)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:32:31 AM by quixotic »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 09:25:21 AM »

Nice hack! What was the mold or form you sculpted around? Was it like paper mache?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 08:51:05 AM »

Nice hack! What was the mold or form you sculpted around? Was it like paper mache?

Thanks Brian.  I made the form from a big chunk of styrofoam I got from Michael's craft store.  Easy to cut with a bread knife or a drywall saw, etc, and then smooth down with a rasp.  Then I wrapped it with saran wrap and bit of tape so the paper mache wouldn't stick.  Not quite paper mache, but a heftier version made from drywall cement, white glue and blue shop rags that come in rolls like paper towels.  This page, about 1/3 of the way down has the recipe, but I think I use a bit more water than she does: http://www.ultimatepapermache.com/paper-mache-recipes
I'd estimate that this formulation is in the ball-park with fibreglass for strength.  Probably 3/16" thick of the former equals about 1/8" thick of the latter for cross-sectional strength.  And it's MUCH easier to work with.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2017, 12:17:41 AM »

Thanks Brian.  I made the form from a big chunk of styrofoam I got from Michael's craft store.  Easy to cut with a bread knife or a drywall saw, etc, and then smooth down with a rasp.  Then I wrapped it with saran wrap and bit of tape so the paper mache wouldn't stick.  Not quite paper mache, but a heftier version made from drywall cement, white glue and blue shop rags that come in rolls like paper towels.  This page, about 1/3 of the way down has the recipe, but I think I use a bit more water than she does: http://www.ultimatepapermache.com/paper-mache-recipes
I'd estimate that this formulation is in the ball-park with fibreglass for strength.  Probably 3/16" thick of the former equals about 1/8" thick of the latter for cross-sectional strength.  And it's MUCH easier to work with.

Yeah, nice hack.

I'm thinking of doing something with gesso or bondo over styrofoam.  Can get good surfaces that way.  Did you have any trouble getting the left and right to match?  (I could see myself worrying the right and left, back and forth, end up cutting away too much...)

So I'm thinking something with a CNC router might be a better starting point for me, and gesso or bondo on that, and then use that as a mold.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:11:12 AM by togo »
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3]