• May 06, 2024, 10:57:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 10/01/2019 Updated Zero app in the Google Play Store  (Read 948 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: 10/01/2019 Updated Zero app in the Google Play Store
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 06:15:00 AM »

It seems to be a different codebase, in addition to the UI facelift.

I don’t have a bike to test it with, but reports from Facebook indicate better but not perfect interaction around the Bluetooth connection with the bike.

The interaction and UI layout are definitely improved, and it seems to offer more app-dash display options.

My one real annoyance is the font. It bothers my eyes and I cannot figure out why it was chosen other than to look cool. You can tell that the kerning isn’t top notch by noticing uneven spacing between characters. Maybe it’s more legible while riding but I would guess the opposite.

Now that you mention it, it did seem to connect to my bike much faster and easier then in the past.  So maybe that was the big change.  ??? If the font changed, I didn't notice it. But then I wasn't looking for fonts, just a change in information displayed on the screen and checking to be sure that my custom settings didn't change.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 04:24:57 PM »

I noticed two things with the update.

1)  When I opened the app after the update, it asked me what bike I had.  I correctly entered that I have an FXS.  Weird that it needed to ask, but OK.

2)  The riding screen displayed 113 ft-lbs of torque when at full throttle.  I wish that was accurate.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 04:06:47 AM »

I spoke too soon about the app working well.  When I gave it a try today it connected via Bluetooth and then said that it was "an unknown model".  The opening screen also looked a little different and had battery information that was incorrect.  It did not ask me what Zero model that I had.  I opened and closed the Zero app and also turned my bike on and off several times and eventually it recognized my bike. The screen didn't look any different than before the "update", but at least all of the information was correct.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 04:25:54 AM »

The first time you connect with the new software, it asks you what model Zero you have, rather than detecting it automatically.  Once you select your model it connects quicker than the old version did.  The first screen after that "Connection" looks pretty much the same, but the sub menus have changed drastically.  The dash layout was remembered from the previous version but the font they use now is pretty damned tiny and is hard to read out of the corner of your eye.  I have the clock front and center but it is no longer easy to read unless I take my eyes off the road to look at it.  Bad design.  I know there's a clock on the dash, but it is wildly inaccurate at the moment.  I set the correct time when we "Sprung Ahead" for daylight saving time but it is now eight minutes fast.  Next month when I "Fall Back" I'll set the time correctly again.  No point in doing it more often as the app shows the correct time.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 04:53:34 AM »

The first time you connect with the new software, it asks you what model Zero you have, rather than detecting it automatically.  Once you select your model it connects quicker than the old version did.  The first screen after that "Connection" looks pretty much the same, but the sub menus have changed drastically.  The dash layout was remembered from the previous version but the font they use now is pretty damned tiny and is hard to read out of the corner of your eye.  I have the clock front and center but it is no longer easy to read unless I take my eyes off the road to look at it.  Bad design.  I know there's a clock on the dash, but it is wildly inaccurate at the moment.  I set the correct time when we "Sprung Ahead" for daylight saving time but it is now eight minutes fast.  Next month when I "Fall Back" I'll set the time correctly again.  No point in doing it more often as the app shows the correct time.

Once my app connected to my bike, I didn't notice any of the changes that you mention.  When I first connected after the update, it didn't ask what model Zero I owned. The first screen initially had a some boxes and a slider, but none of it did anything before it finally connected to my Zero at which time it reverted to the previous screen.  ???

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 07:47:47 AM »

The dash layout was remembered from the previous version but the font they use now is pretty damned tiny and is hard to read out of the corner of your eye.  I have the clock front and center but it is no longer easy to read unless I take my eyes off the road to look at it. 

Just goes to show you that solving one problem makes another. In previous versions of the app, fonts were too big on my phone.   Numbers took up two lines and were bigger than the boxes in the riding screen, so I'd see the bottom half of one number and the top half of the digit after the decimal on the next line. Now it's perfect.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 04:30:42 PM by domingo3 »
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR
Pages: 1 [2]