• May 07, 2024, 10:31:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [Review] Hollywood Electrics sport-touring fairing for Zero  (Read 1890 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
[Review] Hollywood Electrics sport-touring fairing for Zero
« on: September 24, 2018, 06:55:42 AM »

This is a review for Hollywood Electrics' sport touring fairing that fits 2014+ model year Zero's.
Disclaimer: I was discounted on the fairing price in exchange for creating installation documentation. I was already signed up to buy it, also generally in favor of supporting any vendor that makes a Zero-fitted product, and finally very much in favor of vendors who craft fairings for the Zero.
Electric Terry Hershner has been fielding this fairing for some time, with his own modifications to accommodate his dog, Charger, in the tank area. Terry’s efforts are impressive, of course, but I hope a review of my own might clear up what this fairing offers to the average rider.
Here's a reference install thread by a customer on their own: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=8093
Here’s my initial review on the Facebook Zero owners group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/zmcowners/permalink/1668738283195373/
My overview:
  • This is a combined cockpit and sportbike half-fairing that is suitable for touring, in the way that a Honda VFR 800 is a sport-touring bike.

The cockpit features:
  • The instrument cluster, headlamp, and wiring are all projected forward 4 inches and fixed to the fairing instead of the forks.
  • This cleans up all that messy wiring arrangement and makes it easier to change a bulb or connect accessories.
  • I can actually see and read the dash while riding without feeling like I can’t see the damn road.
  • You can shade the instrument cluster from the sun as I’ve done with a smoke windscreen.

Airflow details:
  • The airflow is very good and clean. Just the right amount of low speed air comes up through the bottom at highway speeds, so there’s no buffeting around my helmet.
  • The windscreen is low but it’s forward of any windscreen we’ve been able to install on a Zero before. So unless you sit back with a Corbin seat, your head will be in airflow. But it will be clean air.
  • You can tuck behind the screen like a racer if you like. There’s more room than from the screens we’re used to.

Hardware details:
  • The main bracket has a boxy core with places to fasten wiring connectors so they’re all contained and easily arranged.
  • The brackets as a whole are extremely sturdy yet minimal. My cockpit doesn’t wobbly or rattle at all at any speed.

Accessorizing:
  • The windscreen opening matches bodywork for a 2015 Yamaha R1 so you have a reasonable set of ready windscreen options for under $100. I have a higher sport touring screen on the way for my highway needs.
  • There are hard supports for the windscreen fairing section that can support mirror stalks - still waiting to see and evaluate those but they’re sport-oriented. You can keep your stock mirrors as I have here but we should figure out various options. Bar-end mirrors work for a lot of people but my DS bars are already tricky in lanesplitting traffic.
Touring/range nerd section:
  • Drag/range benefit is at least 10%. Maybe 15% but YMMV literally because you always need to adjust such things to work with your body and riding style. It’s as good as my custom windscreen mounts.
  • If you don’t put mirrors where the stalks are intended, it may be easy to use them to mount a real touring windscreen with a slight offset bracket or spacers. Obviously I’m going to investigate this personally.
  • I think I can use this to help mount a second version of my dustbin fairing.
Overall, I’m very pleased and got to think through the install and see some of their development and design process which was impressive in its persistence and crafting.
Making fairings and brackets with appeal to more than one person is incredibly difficult and I think this strikes a balance you could use to build various looks you might be interested in even if this or the other installs don’t quite charm you.
I think we should encourage each other to invest in these fairings to make our Zero’s have a more stylish and impressive look, and to get a standard set of brackets in circulation. One-offs are gratifying but we need a fairing that makes our bikes attractive.
I’ll say on top of this that I finally got a Power Tank with cells matching my 2016 and my highway range seems to stabilize around 135 miles. Which feels really awesome. I want 150 miles of highway range this year and will do my damnedest to get it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:57:40 AM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: [Review] Hollywood Electrics sport-touring fairing for Zero
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 06:58:30 AM »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 07:00:23 AM »

Photos!

My first set, taken in front of the Hollywoo sign (sic):

Some Instagram shots I took with other riders' bikes in LA:

My own bike's setup later in SF, after installing the sport touring Zero Gravity windscreen option:

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »

Looks nice and appears to fit well. What is the price of the fairing and what colors, if any, does it come in?
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 08:34:39 PM »

You can get it in any of the Zero factory colors, or in prime.  Check with Harlan Flagg for pricing.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 08:40:07 PM »

You can get it in any of the Zero factory colors, or in prime.  Check with Harlan Flagg for pricing.

Thanks.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 08:53:10 PM »

Looks like a great design.
My apologies as I seem to have missed it, but was is the weight? Thanks

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 10:24:45 PM »

Looks like a great design.
My apologies as I seem to have missed it, but was is the weight? Thanks

Not much; the bracketing is not heavy. No more than 10lbs altogether, I’d guess.

It all sits against the frame head tube very securely so it isn’t waving around or anything.

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 06:12:52 AM »

Just wishing here: Zero scoops up this intellectual property for a fair price and offers this as a factory option. Ditto diginow.

*Insert pic of a unicorn farting rainbows here*

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 12:53:35 AM »

I like the new fairing a lot, especially with the taller smoked ZG windscreen.  When will this fairing be available to the masses or is it already?
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 01:01:16 AM »

Call or email Hollywood Electrics about pricing and availability.

The price is high. The reason the price is high is that not enough people are ordering, so there is no discount of scale.

This is our fundamental community hurdle: we will get no nice things at commodity prices until we start buying things en masse. Period.

dennis-NL

• DS 2013 12.5 <<50500km 22-feb-2019>>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 06:13:53 PM »

If they want to sell more, make a better internet shop with all products and details.

Not email them, I want search, select, buy !
Diginow would also sell more, I'm sure.
current:  DS2013 12.5 50500km 22-feb-2019
previous: MotoGuzzi 1100Cal-96, Yamaha TDM850-00, Honda Magna700-86, Honda Shadow500-86

8) Enjoy each ride, now you can hear and feel everything around you !!!!
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8098.0;attach=9471;ima

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 07:38:37 PM »

I  know, right?  It doesn't look like that website has been updated in quite some time...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 11:17:45 PM »

If they want to sell more, make a better internet shop with all products and details.

Not email them, I want search, select, buy !
Diginow would also sell more, I'm sure.

True, I've emailed Hollywood Electrics in the past quite a few times about the Supercharger, but got little to no respons. Does Europe/other continent count?
Now I've  several emails out for the fairing. But no response. Not sure if it's America first? One start thinking these things when living not in America..

I'm sure there are enough people overseas who want to buy a fairing or chargers from Hollywood El. Oh boy, get a proper webshop up!

[edit: promt got a reply via mail :o ]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:16:35 AM by wijnand71 »

GilTitan06

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 01:34:12 AM »

In my case, I ordered clipons and riser at Hollywood Electrics for a delivery in France and all was Ok, delay and price. I advice you to contact Maria very sympathique person by phone or by mail: maria@hollywoodelectrics.com
On the road again...
Pages: [1]