• May 14, 2024, 05:54:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Poll: Zero dash display options: which did you chose?  (Read 630 times)

heroto

• View Profile
Poll: Zero dash display options: which did you chose?
« on: July 24, 2018, 07:49:57 AM »

Current model display options:

A  trip 1 mileage, range (before battery runs down), error code, and motor rpm

B: motor temp, trip 2 mileage, trip 1 energy consumption, motor temp, and long term energy consumption.

If I have this right, 4 choices for A, 5 for B.

Which have you chosen?  There is no right answer.
Some clever alternatives to the current factory options may be proposed. If Zero is paying attention, which they darn well should, they will thank you for your insights.

I would like to see ambient air temp and a tire pressure monitor option.

And cruise control, a low mounted high voltage charge option currently occupied by the 110 v charger, and factory option fairing. But that's a different thread!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:59:24 AM by heroto »

UW4E

• View Profile
Re: Poll: Zero dash display options: which did you chose?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 12:10:15 PM »

A: Range
B: Trip AV (what you called energy consumption)
With an electric motorcycle to Iceland - June 2018:
http://www.uw4e.de

Zero S 2015 - 41,000 km / 25,800 miles since July 2016 (Status Nov '18)

dennis-NL

• DS 2013 12.5 <<50500km 22-feb-2019>>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 12:21:08 PM »

I just make a printscreen of my app from Zero because a Zero 2013DS has the old dashboard  ;-)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 12:27:23 PM by dennis-NL »
current:  DS2013 12.5 50500km 22-feb-2019
previous: MotoGuzzi 1100Cal-96, Yamaha TDM850-00, Honda Magna700-86, Honda Shadow500-86

8) Enjoy each ride, now you can hear and feel everything around you !!!!
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8098.0;attach=9471;ima

Scotchman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 05:56:28 PM »

Range and motor temp for me.  Nothing really good on the second line, I'd much prefer range and trip 1 mileage.

ashnazg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 06:49:56 PM »

A: range
B: trip 2 mileage

I still have less than 5000 miles of riding experience across my three Zeros since 2012, so my main skill to learn is knowing "how far I can go" vs "how far I've already gone".  I know to consider the range as an estimate.

I only occasionally bluetooth my phone to use the app during a ride, since I've never noticed any different values between the display and the app.
2015 Zero SR
2015 Zero FX (previous bike)
2011 Zero XU (previous bike)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 07:56:38 PM »

Since I have never seen a higher temperature than 175 degrees F, I have my upper display set for range and my lower display for miles traveled, which I reset after every recharge.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 10:53:39 PM »

^ this is also what I've settled on.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 11:48:56 PM »

^ this is also what I've settled on.

Same (Trip AV reads as Wh/mi or Wh/km).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 12:16:17 AM »

worth noting. this number likely isn't accurate ... on my dsr the rear wheel size in the MBB was set to 2070 stock when it is actually closer to 2040 (likely below a bit as well)

This means your distance traveled, current speed, and Wh per distance unit will be off.

I have also noticed the energy at the controller is typically higher than that read on the zero app (Wh used per trip) even with the "buff" given to the zero app because of its wheel size being off.

So like all zero measurements ... take this one with a grain of salt and leave yourself a buffer. :D
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 12:27:13 AM »

worth noting. this number likely isn't accurate ...

So like all zero measurements ... take this one with a grain of salt and leave yourself a buffer. :D
I agree. I've haven't found it useful to treat these measurements as consistent nor as accurate. I find them useful, though, as figures of merit and watch them enough to know what they should be doing under different conditions. In that way I can predict if I'm going to get the range I want; or if something is amiss.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 03:18:01 AM »

While the efficiency measurements are not accurate, they do have some relative precision, in that the efficiency reading rises with increases in load and falls with decreases in a roughly proportional way.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

"Trip AV" or "Wh/mi" for reference is power divided by speed, so Burton's point about tire radius mismatch influencing this is valid. Of course, the speedometer inaccuracy will be in direct proportion to this, so correcting the speedometer via MBB settings adjustment would correct the same inaccuracy factor here.

Anyway, its visibility on the dash helps to adjust one's range estimate. The range estimate takes time to adjust to different conditions, but with a throttle lock on the highway it is straightforward enough to target a specific range or remaining SoC at your intended arrival point. After adjustments for headwinds, I can predict what SoC I'll arrive with which is very helpful on trips.

The mobile app I'm testing (an iOS port of https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mc.zero) to surface, graph, and log ride event parameters shows a lot of promise. Cycle Analyst would obviously be better but this is much more accessible.
- I've found that DC current measurement at the controller multiplied by pack voltage yields a more robust figure.
- I've also discovered that the throttle lock pretty much yields a stable current reading from the MBB for any given pack voltage / SoC state.
- Pack voltage varies quite a lot for a given throttle position. With enough testing, I can probably work out a pack impedance estimation guide from the variance.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]