• May 05, 2024, 04:56:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Crashed 2019 Zero S  (Read 874 times)

UK S Rider

• View Profile
Crashed 2019 Zero S
« on: January 14, 2023, 10:40:52 PM »

I did a boo boo and dropped my Zero S, not very fast but I ripped the left front indicator off and left foot peg off.

The bike still works, but the front headlight, horn & rear break light are not working..........could this be just because the indicator is missing or perhaps a more sinister think going on?

I literally pulled away  (it was a bit cold and slippery) and the bike high sided me, and broke my collarbone.

Help from any electricians out there...

Thanks

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Crashed 2019 Zero S
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 11:52:20 PM »

The first thing I would check would be the wiring that runs between the fork leg and the headstock of the frame, I think they're on the left side. There is a stop on the frame that is supposed to stop the fork turning enough to pinch these wires but with a hard enough impact that may have snapped. You can also try removing the headlight (just two bolts on each side) and checking that all the plugs under there are fully secured, instead of wires getting pinched and cut there's a chance they may have got tugged and pulled some connections loose. By rear brake light, do you mean it's completely out or it just doesn't get brighter when either of the brakes is pressed?

UK S Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 12:03:13 AM »

Thanks TheRan

I will check the forks.

The rear light just doesn't illuminate at all. neither does the front. I took the headlamp apart, and couldn't see anything really wrong.

I think the impact was hard enough as I thing the bars are a little bent, the left hand bar weight is gone too. The foot peg ripped away, so perhaps you're onto something. Will check in daylight.

Thanks.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 02:07:25 AM »

I also had a high side at a pretty low speed and it was still enough to bend my bars quite badly, I'd be surprised if yours managed to make it through unharmed. I also had hand guards fitted which would have allowed the end of the bar to slide more instead of digging in.

Is the number plate light also out? It has a separate plug to the tail light under the seat but it probably ties into the same part of the wiring harness as the tail light. Come to think of it I don't think it's that likely that the rear lighting wiring would run forward and under the headlight, that wouldn't make much sense. Are all the other turn signals working? One other idea I did have is perhaps where the turn signal has broken off it caused a short and blew a fuse, which could take out some of the other lights. If you wanted to check those are all under the seat, it's just two large torx bolts near the rear.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 03:28:35 AM »

My Zero S fell over once at a stop light and broke the right rider's foot peg off. I found that the passenger peg was a direct replacement until I could order a new foot peg.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Yamanatc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 11:55:33 PM »

I did a boo boo and dropped my Zero S, not very fast but I ripped the left front indicator off and left foot peg off.

I literally pulled away  (it was a bit cold and slippery) and the bike high sided me, and broke my collarbone.

Thanks

Just a note, the exact same thing happened to the guy i bought my S from - your description of what happened is almost verbatim, including the fractured collarbone.

He had to have a pin put in his clavicle, and being aa newlywed with an expectant wife, he was under orders to sell the bike 'or else;' I got it with 350 miles on the odometer.
Most Recent:
'74 TZ750
'69 TD2
'62 TD1A
'58 Goldstar
'55 YA-1
Coming Soon:
'18 SR

mjbaynes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 06:13:12 AM »

Ouch!

One other idea I did have is perhaps where the turn signal has broken off it caused a short and blew a fuse, which could take out some of the other lights. If you wanted to check those are all under the seat, it's just two large torx bolts near the rear.
The owners manual for your model gives the fuse 5 as supplying "Flash Lights, Turn Signals, Horn, Brake/Tail Light" - so seems highly likely the turn signal coming off blew that one.
Headlamp is not on that fuse.

Zero S 2021

UK S Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 11:16:40 PM »

Thanks for all your responses. I've been a bit lazy and just concentrating on recovering. But I can now move my are quite well so I can start looking at it in more detail.

The rear light and number plate light just don't come on at all.

I took the seat off and checked all the fuses, 2 x 5amp's and 4 x 10 amps, all fine.

I checked to see if the wiring that runs between the fork leg and the headstock of the frame was damaged, I can't see any.

I checked the error codes on the dash, nothing! code 0 meaning everything is fine.....odd!

Another search online pointed me in the direction of an Anderson connector under the frame on the left side, ahead of the shock absbr. So my next mission is to cut the cable ties holding it in place, as some people have said that the ties are too tight and leave no room for any pull on the cable.

so, update so far is, IT STILL DON'T BLOODY WORK  >:(

I'm open to any more suggestions.....I don't think taking it in to my supplier will help as they are still big ICE nuts so have no clue on Zero's.

Update soon.

Thank again.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 06:54:28 AM »

Sorry to hear of your accident.
yah these big HEAVY bikes love to tip over real damned easy.  I found that out too.
Unfortunately since it weighs close to 500 lbs, any time you flip it, whether you are moving or standing still you are going to damage something. You will take turn signals off, bust foot pedals off, brake pedals off, brake handles just from the weight of the bike when it smacks them on the ground.

Yanking the light off like that could have damaged the plug where it's wire plugs in at, if one of the pins is bent or something is shorting, it may take the whole thing out.  Another thing I have seen often when wires get tugged like that, especially on the smaller gauge wire is, it looks like it's ok, because the insulation stretched a tad then flexed back in, but the wires inside are actually broken, and you can't see it.  if you got piercing type leads, ie phone leads I think they used to call them, you might want to do some continuity checks on the wires that were involved in any twisting / stretching etc of the event.  Worse case, you rule out a possibility or two of what the problem is.

id get all the new lights and stuff in place and wired up then see what all is or is not working.

Aaron
Pages: [1]