• May 05, 2024, 06:53:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How tough are these Zeros?  (Read 620 times)

droidish

• View Profile
How tough are these Zeros?
« on: February 12, 2023, 01:35:04 AM »

After five and a half years of great riding on my 2017 SR, I screwed up and crashed it on my way to work four weeks ago.

I’m (mostly) fine. Bruised ankle, bruised ribs and bicep and re-injured rotator cuff, all on my right side. My gear did its job. I rode my bike home after the crash. So lucky.

The obvious damage to my bike is nuts and bolts type stuff. Bent front brake lever, ground up bar end, throttle tube and grip. The right chin fairing is scuffed. The right foot peg broke off and the clevis where it mounts is ground down to the pin. The rear brake pedal peg is ground off and the pedal is bent. The threads at the right end of the rear axle are garfed up. That’s it!

Hopefully.

This is where my question comes in: How tough are these things?

I have to think that the dual sport versions of these bikes get thrown down the road once in a while while being ridden in the dirt. Are the battery packs or electronic components susceptible to damage from the shock of impact with the road?

Should I be concerned about “hidden damage”?

I will appreciate any feedback from the collective experience here.
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: How tough are these Zeros?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 04:11:45 AM »

UK S Rider has had some electrical issues after crashing his, still hasn't diagnosed it yet: https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=12372.0

I'm surprised you managed to damage the end of the axle. I bought some axle sliders that stuck out well over an inch and laying the bike on the floor they weren't close to touching, the peg and end of the handle bar touch first. However the chin plastic also doesn't touch the floor yet I managed to crack mine too on a high side. That one also bent my bars and hand guards. I also dropped my bike while stationary off road and as I was in a rut the plastic fork guard contacted the ground, didn't crack it but there's a white patch around the mounting bolt from the stress of it bending. Luckily my two drops on road were on the left so no damage to the throttle or brake levers.

droidish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 04:45:22 AM »

Quote from: TheRan link=topic=12427.msg117455#msg117455 date=
I'm surprised you managed to damage the end of the axle…

I think once the peg broke off it allowed the axle and the chin fairing to touch down.

So yours hit the ground twice and no electrical issues, that is encouraging.

I read the thread last night that you linked to. That is worrisome.
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 05:16:24 AM »

One thing mine does have going for it is it's a 7.2, so when it does hit the ground it's got less momentum behind it to jar stuff loose.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 10:46:57 AM »

[2016 DSR] Last September a young buck decided to commit suicide in front of me & I obliged & rode through the debris field.
I was going about 45 miles/hr & fortunately it was an adolescent (50-75# or so) & I was able to keep it upright.
There was substantial front end trim work damage as well as a crack in the frame (I fabricated a metal strap band to mitigate).
Initially I thought that this incident had lead to my recent Ground Isolation fault but now contribute it to a component I installed that was not waterproof (corrected but not rain proven as it hasn’t rain since fixing).
I now have about 80.5k miles with minimal issues other then warranty replaced battery & overheated charge plug (replaced with an upgrade).
In my case it’s been a good investment as a commuter.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

CagivaRider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 08:24:15 AM »

My friend managed to crash my SR within minutes of me letting him ride it. He has decades of experience and several local road racing championships. I have a very aggressive 'Custom' mode and told him to stay in 'Eco' until he was in the open road. He's a racer so how long do you think it took him to switch to Custom. Anyway, he faceplanted taking most of the right-side plastic and front brake lever/master cylinder with him. I bought a whole bunch of parts, put it back together and have ridden for a year with no issues.

BTW, I an willing to give the scraped up parts away if anyone out there wants to pay for shipping from Washington State USA.
2021 Zero S
2019 Zero SR
2015 BMW F800GT
2001 Moto Guzzi V11-Sport
1987 Cagiva Alazzurra 650
1985 Yamaha RZ350

droidish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 12:27:11 PM »

My friend managed to crash my SR within minutes of me letting him ride it. He has decades of experience and several local road racing championships…

Your story is helpful to me on two fronts. First because your bike has been good since the crash. Second, and almost more importantly because your friend is an experienced rider.

I have been beating myself up since my crash because I feel like I should know better. Sometimes these things happen and you try to but you can’t explain why or how.
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 07:54:07 PM »

My friend managed to crash my SR within minutes of me letting him ride it. He has decades of experience and several local road racing championships…

Your story is helpful to me on two fronts. First because your bike has been good since the crash. Second, and almost more importantly because your friend is an experienced rider.

I have been beating myself up since my crash because I feel like I should know better. Sometimes these things happen and you try to but you can’t explain why or how.

In my opinion/experience being an experienced rider can be a bad thing if you treat an electric bike the same as an ICE bike.
With an ICE bike you crack the throttle & wait for the engine to spool up & then back the throttle down to match the required output from the engine.
When you do that with an electric bike you end up spinning the rear tire & bad things happen. 

With electric you have to ease the throttle incrementally until you have the required output from the motor. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR
Pages: [1]