• May 09, 2024, 08:07:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Test rode a sr yesterday. My impressions...  (Read 1059 times)

trekguy

• View Profile
Test rode a sr yesterday. My impressions...
« on: July 18, 2014, 05:12:11 PM »

New member here.  Just to clarify, I currently ride an 09 Aprilia Mana 850 with 22k miles.  Great bike, but dealer service is 50 miles away and breathtakingly expensive.

My first impression of the SR is that its really nothing much to look at. No bling! Paint quality is fair at best and the shade of red is dull.  I was  unfamiliar with the tire brand, and the rear tire looked kind of narrow. Ignition key was positively cheap.

Power was awesome and thrilling (for me), and I was really impressed with the handling.  It turned and leaned so easily, especially compared to my Mana. Brakes were fine, although I did not try a panic stop. I was surprised how adjustable the ride could be made by turning those small screws on the front fork towers to soften the bump absorbtion. Seat comfort was ok  and plenty of legroom.

Questions:
1. What is the "P" position on the ignition lock for?  I could not even get the key to go to that position.

2. Is there an outside air temperature display in the cluster somwhere?

3.How good is the headlight?

4. Can the CHADdeMo charger be added later?

Thanks for the help. Im still on the fence for purchase, and the nearest Zero dealer to me (NE Ohio) is 166 miles away.

DynoMutt

• View Profile
Re: Test rode a sr yesterday. My impressions...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 05:54:49 PM »

1. What is the "P" position on the ignition lock for?  I could not even get the key to go to that position.

That's the steering lock.  You have to turn the handlebars all the way to the left to be able to get the key into that position.
That's a pretty standard thing on most modern motorcycles as far as I know.

I have a '13 right now, so I know only that cluster.  I don't know of any ambient temperature readout on that cluster, it's much more spare than the one on the '14.  I'd suggest using a smartphone with a weather app to get nearby weather conditions.

It works.  It's very bright.

4. Can the CHAdeMO charger be added later?

Yes, it's technically a dealer-installed feature that can be added later, but if you know you want it, you'll be much better off asking for it to be preinstalled at the factory if you can.  The installation process is very involved, occupying a worker's entire day, and many dealers are not familiar with the process.  This would be a problem on the East Coast of the US especially where the CHAdeMO infrastructure is not nearly as built-out.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:37:11 PM »

I have a 2014 SR, and my fork lock is pretty finicky. Make sure the bar is ALL THE WAY to the left and it should go into the fork-lock position.

Not that I've found. If you do find it, let me know where!

As someone else said, it's good enough. I'm considering adding some Denali lights (probably the D4 if I decide to do it) but that's really for bling factor, not because the stock lighting is inadequate.

4. Can the CHADdeMo charger be added later?

Yep. I'm on the fence about this one....if I added it, I could make trips up from where I live near San Diego to visit my folks or my bro, who live in Orange County. Pretty expensive option for something I won't use a lot, however.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

AustinSZF8.5

• Zero S ZF8.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 01:15:52 AM »

Quick clarification - the P position on the ignition lock is a click past the fork lock. It's for a parking light position. The parts bin lock barrel supports it but the ignition switch below it does not. The key will not turn to that position.
Jeff - Austin, TX
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 Kawasaki Versys
09 Honda CRF230L

97 Honda Magna - sold 2015
03 Triumph 955i Sprint ST - RIP 2013
87 Honda VFR 700 F2 - sold 2008
92 Yamaha Seca II - sold 2004
Pages: [1]