• May 21, 2024, 06:56:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Charging cable(s) SR/F  (Read 2558 times)

enaef

• View Profile
Charging cable(s) SR/F
« on: October 13, 2019, 09:05:04 PM »

Is the Zero SR/F delivered with charging cable(s)?
Living in Switzerland, I'd need a Type 2 (Mennekes) to Type 2 cable, as well as sort of an adapter for home charging (Type 2 to home socket in  230V 10A) I guess.

Thanks
2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger

Hans2183

• View Profile
Re: Charging cable(s) SR/F
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 10:06:43 PM »

No cable or adapter included. To charge from a 220V circuit you can buy an adapter zero branded voor 530 EUR. Saw a promotion at a local dealer where they included one for free but that's an exception.

For charging on the road you'll need a type2 charge cable which you should find for 150-200 eur online.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 11:19:17 PM »

For a standard SR/F you can suffice with a 1 phase, 16A cable (about 150-200 euro) because the 3kW single charger is connected to L1 / Phase 1 and uses "only" 3000/230 = 13A

For a premium SR/F you would need a 3 phase 16A cable (about 200-250 euro) because there are two 3kW chargers, connected to L1 and L2, each using the same 13A on the 2 phases

If you would ever get a chargetank rapid charger module you would need a 3 phase 32A cable, because the 6kW rapid charger is connected to L3 and uses 26A on L3.
you COULD use a 3 phase 16A cable with a rapid charger module but then the rapid charger would throttle back to 3.6 kW (16A) for a total of 3+3+3.6 = 9.6 kW

How i know the rapid charger is only connected to L3? There is a connector under the tank already prepared and this is only connected to L3.
I took a picture of it when i had the tank off.

For at home charging i use a portable EV chargerbox (1 phase 16A capable)
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 01:06:29 AM »

AFAIK, it comes with a L1 cable and a L2 inlet (J1772 or Mennekes based on region) and L2 charging stations come with their own cable.

I don't know of any optional cable for the SR/F.  But dang they're pretty at the showroom ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 01:27:07 AM »

Thanks remmie and Hans2183 !

As a total tech-dummy this all is completely new land to me ....   :-\

I plan to buy the bike only next year - was never on a heavy motor bike before and will have to learn to ride genuinely. (I'm bicycling and drove a moped some 40 years ago ...).

It will surely be the premium version and I assume that in the end I also want the rapid charge option. I'm not sure if I will order that from the beginning or if I want to start without it and first have a look and feel how things evolve. In the latter case I nonetheless would buy the 3 Pase 32A version fromt the start).

Regarding charging at home (living in a rented flat); we got a free T25 socket. I guess that exists only in Switzerland https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Swiss_3hd.html . One internet source sais it's 3L / 3x400V/16A; 230V/16A.
I wonder if I could use this one somehow. However, I'd need a cable of about 15 - 20m length ...
So - no idea if that would work and what I'd need for that. I think I somewhere read that electricity home installation is not designed for heavy use like 3x400V/16A over a long period. I guess I will have to ask an electrician.
Also I have asked the owner (pension fund; building with 10 flats) if he'd be willing to install a wall box. Then I would not need the solution for the T25 socket. But I'm not very confident that the owner will do it. I'm just checking my options in advance ...

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 01:33:02 AM »

.... and L2 charging stations come with their own cable....

-Crissa

Neither the two next two T2 charging stations near where I live nor the T2 station where I work have their own cable, so I definitively will need one ...

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 01:36:30 AM »

Neither the two next two T2 charging stations near where I live nor the T2 station where I work have their own cable, so I definitively will need one ...
Really?  Weird!

I wonder if it's a security method?  I don't even know what the other end of a Mennekes cable should look like!  It's not in the standard on wikipedia.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 01:40:33 AM »

And by the way - aren't there other Zero bikes than the SR/F coming with a 'direct inlet' from home socket (230V/16A for Switzerland)?

First, the cables which seem necessary for different charging situations for the SR/F are not cheap and second, where can I put it all when I'm on the way with it? Especially if space is used up by the fast charging option ....

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 01:48:31 AM »

Crissa, the sockets of the charging stations look identical compared to the one of the SR/F. So, just Mennekes

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 03:35:37 AM »

The older Zero models - the S/SR/DS/DSR/FX/FXS - all come with an L1 onboard charger that has the same inlet as a personal computer or other electronics device (like a guitar amp, for instance, which is where I got my overbuilt cable for my used 2014 S).  For them to charge at an L2 you need an adapter or the 'Charge Tank'.  All Zero motorcycles - even the SR/F - come with at least one charging cable.

It's really unusual and probably just some local (to your neighborhood or country) that the L2 chargers near you don't have cables.  The included SR/F cable might be what you need if you're buying it from a local dealer.  You'd just have to ask.  Maybe carry a photograph with you so you can compare.

The cable you refer to for the stations without one is probably like this:  alibaba marketplace

It should not cost more than ~$150 US/EU.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 03:40:01 AM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

reini

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 04:21:20 PM »

It's really unusual and probably just some local (to your neighborhood or country) that the L2 chargers near you don't have cables. 
In Austria almost no charging stations have fixed cables, except the CCS/ChadeMo/44KW chargers. Really weird that Zero doesn't include cables here...
Energica SS9+

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 06:50:47 PM »

Same in .no.
No public L2 chargers have cables attached to them.
Only L3 (DC fast charge) have that.

Zelidar

• SR/F Premium 2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 09:35:15 PM »

How i know the rapid charger is only connected to L3? There is a connector under the tank already prepared and this is only connected to L3.
Did you share that picture already? You got me (us) curious.

Earlier this month I tried ordering the SR/F (in Switzerland) with the rapid charger since it was said to be available in fall 2019.
No luck, still not available. I settled on the Premium with "only" 6 kW.

My dealer also said that, as for previous generations, it would keep on being mounted afterward at the dealership. As a result, there will be an added cost for the work needed.
- Zero SR/F Premium (since 22.11.2019)
- (2007-2019 nothing and no car since 2017)
- Yamaha FJ1200 (2nd), FJ1200 (1st)
- Honda CBF 750, NX 650, MTX 125

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 10:26:29 PM »

... and probably just some local (to your neighborhood or country) that the L2 chargers near you don't have cables.

Seems it's more than a local 'problmem'. Austria, Switzerland, Norway ... May be it's how it is in Europe ...
In my neighborhood also the charging stations with DC have cables. The next station to my flat has two different DC types, therefore two cables and one L2 without cable.

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 10:48:30 PM »

Did you share that picture already? You got me (us) curious.

Earlier this month I tried ordering the SR/F (in Switzerland) with the rapid charger since it was said to be available in fall 2019.
No luck, still not available. I settled on the Premium with "only" 6 kW.

My dealer also said that, as for previous generations, it would keep on being mounted afterward at the dealership. As a result, there will be an added cost for the work needed.

Here's the picture of the connector, its a amphenol radsok A connector with 4 large poles an 2 smaller. 3 of the 4 larger poles are directly connected to the L3, N and PE terminals of the type 2 connector on the bike. The 2 smaller poles are for the CAN communication (i followed the wires through the harness). There's even a sticker on this particular harness with "chargetank"  on it. The connector has a blind cap on it and is tucked in between the other wires.

https://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Industrial/ELR4A04?qs=%252B6g0mu59x7KnOuP3J9Girg%3D%3D

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:57:42 PM by remmie »
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)
Pages: [1] 2 3