• May 06, 2024, 10:16:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: EV@TucsonEV.com  (Read 3436 times)

macstructures

• View Profile
Re: EV@TucsonEV.com
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2017, 11:48:13 AM »

I have a partial answer... but I still don't know and so far can not find a video (youtube) or something showing a Zero motorcycle being charge using a Zero quick charger and a Tucson Adapter.

This is the scenario, I have a Tucson adapter, It has 2xC13 plugs and a J1772 plug.

I go to a charging station, plug one C13 plug to the onboard charger, the J1772 plug to the charging station, then plug my Zero quick charger to the Accessory Charging Port above the motor.

Question: where do I plug the quick charger? to the remaining C13 plug that I have on the adapter? or to a separate outlet?

This is the adapter.

Zero: 2016 DSR
HD: Rocker C 08 / Sportster 1200L 09

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2017, 12:19:41 PM »

I have a partial answer... but I still don't know and so far can not find a video (youtube) or something showing a Zero motorcycle being charge using a Zero quick charger and a Tucson Adapter.

Ah the Zero "quick charger". Sorry, didn't realize that's what you were referring to. I don't think  of it as a quick charger at all, since 1000 watts is only 1/10 of the 10,000 watts my 2014 Zero SR can take, and the newer S platform bikes can take even more. 

Anyone have a ZQC can answer what it's inlet looks like? Does it take C13/C14?
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=194
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2017, 01:33:25 PM »

The Zero Quick Charger is a (custom) Delta-Q QuiQ charger with a C14 inlet: https://delta-q.com/product/quiq-1000-industrial-battery-charger/

C13 is the plug for the C14 inlet.

C19 is the plug for the C20 inlet.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2017, 04:51:31 PM »

This is the scenario, I have a Tucson adapter, It has 2xC13 plugs and a J1772 plug.

I go to a charging station, plug one C13 plug to the onboard charger, the J1772 plug to the charging station, then plug my Zero quick charger to the Accessory Charging Port above the motor.

Question: where do I plug the quick charger? to the remaining C13 plug that I have on the adapter? or to a separate outlet?

This is the adapter.

Yes, that's it, one C13 to the bike, the other one to the QuiQ.  Here is a not so good picture of my bike with my QuiQ in the Givi top box.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2017, 08:57:08 PM »

This is the adapter.

Yes, that's it, one C13 to the bike, the other one to the QuiQ.  Here is a not so good picture of my bike with my QuiQ in the Givi top box.

Steve

YES!!!! thank you all finally got my answer... I apologize for not asking it the right way... but thanks, a lot of good info.

I think for my needs... the most I ride is maybe 100 miles if that... so for now no need for a real "quick charger".

I think I'm going to buy the 2xC13 (for a Zero charger) and 1xC19 (for other chargers).

Can I use a plug at the end of the C19 to change it to a C13, in case I want to plug something that requires this type of plug? Like the household plug that goes from 3 prong to 2 prong.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2017, 11:16:46 PM »

> YES!!!! thank you all finally got my answer...

Awesome

> I apologize for not asking it the right way... but thanks, a lot of good info.

No worries.  With enough patience, we get to a point of understanding each other.

> I think for my needs... the most I ride is maybe 100 miles if that... so for now no need for a real "quick charger".

> I think I'm going to buy the 2xC13 (for a Zero charger) and 1xC19 (for other chargers).

> Can I use a plug at the end of the C19 to change it to a C13, ...

Yes, I have adapters in both directions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2Q4AOY/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFPWRKO/

Beware however of running too many amps through C13/C14 connections.  They are only rated for 13-15 amps if memory serves, but of course at 220-240vac, that's twice as much power as it is 110vac.

> in case I want to plug something that requires this type of plug? Like the household plug that goes from 3 prong to 2 prong.

Oh, that makes me very nervous.  BEWARE!  If you try to pull 2300 watts out of a 110v outlet like that, you are going to melt stuff and/or start fires and/or burn down a house and/or trip a breaker.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2017, 03:32:05 AM »

Yep.  I have two 20 amp circuits in my garage so I can run the internal charger and the QuiQ on separate lines.  The J1771 does not seem to have a problem with the Tucson adapter, everything stays cool at 2400 watts.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2017, 03:48:43 AM »

Beware however of running too many amps through C13/C14 connections.  They are only rated for 13-15 amps if memory serves, but of course at 220-240vac, that's twice as much power as it is 110vac.

> in case I want to plug something that requires this type of plug? Like the household plug that goes from 3 prong to 2 prong.

Oh, that makes me very nervous.  BEWARE!  If you try to pull 2300 watts out of a 110v outlet like that, you are going to melt stuff and/or start fires and/or burn down a house and/or trip a breaker.

Oh no... the best scenario will be if I go to a charging station, and I have a Zero QuiQ ( I don't have one at this moment) I will plug it to the Tucson adapter (C13), but if for some reason I want to plug my laptop while the motorcycle is charging... i will use the C19 plug.. with and adapter to C13 on it. I was using the household plug in the picture as a way to make sure you understood what I was talking about.

At home I only have a regular wall outlet (15 amps) in the garage... so I can only use the onboard charger. I will have to see if other outlets in the garage are on a different breaker... more than likely no.

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2017, 03:56:30 AM »

The Zero Quick Charger is a (custom) Delta-Q QuiQ charger with a C14 inlet: https://delta-q.com/product/quiq-1000-industrial-battery-charger/

If I want to buy this charger, I will have to buy it from Zero, correct? Like you point out, it is (custom) and if I buy it directly from https://delta-q.com/product/quiq-1000-industrial-battery-charger/ it will not work.

Any other suggestions on where to buy it new... or just keep looking for "for sale items" on the forum?

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2017, 04:23:30 AM »

I placed the order with Tucson EV a few minutes ago!!!! thank you for all your help... will let you know how charging goes and if any issues.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2017, 05:50:24 AM »

If I want to buy this charger, I will have to buy it from Zero, correct? Like you point out, it is (custom) and if I buy it directly from https://delta-q.com/product/quiq-1000-industrial-battery-charger/ it will not work.

Any other suggestions on where to buy it new... or just keep looking for "for sale items" on the forum?

Cool on the order, I hope they get it shipped quickly (Tucson).  You should be able to get the correctly programmed QuiQ from your Zero dealer.  I'll bet someone on the board knows how to program the Zero profile into one of the standard QuiQ chargers.  I picked mine up from the dealer when I ordered the bike last year.  At the time there was a 30% kickback on taxes, so the net was $400.00.  That's gone now.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2017, 10:14:45 PM »

Update. They shipped my adapter on Tuesday... should have it Friday. Will use it over the weekend... will update if any problems or questions.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2017, 12:48:44 AM »

> If I want to buy this charger, I will have to buy it from Zero, correct?

You can probably find one used.  People who are switching to rapid chargers would probably have excess ones.

> Like you point out, it is (custom) and if I buy it directly from https://delta-q.com/product/quiq-1000-industrial-battery-charger/ it will not work.

The factory one is probably programmed for its default of 96 volts which would only charge you a portion of the way. Do they even sell it direct? You probably have to find a dealer regardless but the zero version would come pre programmed and ready to go.

I imagine people who have excess ones may not bother posting.  My own Elcon 2500 sat on a shelf unused for some time. You might want to make a Wanted post. Where are you located? If somebody doesn't have to ship it to you it might make it more attractive to get rid of.

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2017, 07:40:36 AM »

OK, I will add a Wanted post. I'm in Overland Park, KS. Thanks.

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2017, 07:34:55 AM »

Received the adapter today... will use it tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5