• May 04, 2024, 11:12:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Preventing water ingress from front wheel spray (2014)  (Read 1629 times)

remmie

• View Profile
Preventing water ingress from front wheel spray (2014)
« on: August 03, 2014, 03:30:14 AM »

Much like the topic in the <=2012 section of the zero's http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=3857.0 I was looking for a way to prevent front wheel spray from entering the bundle of electric wires just above and in front of the battery on my 2014 SR. After removing the tank assembly and some careful measuring, it looked quite easy to make, just a flat sheet of metal or plastic cut in the right shape.

I first made  a mock-up in cardboard outlining it with a pencil along the frame and that fitted very well. So off to the DIY store to look for some suitable material.
Maybe not the most suitable but i used a 2mm thick piece of plexiglas and cut it in the shape of the cardboard.
In the frame there are 2 unused holes with some plastic covers on them. Drilling two holes in the right position of the plexiglass sheet right over the holes made the sheet fit perfectly and secured and it is now preventing front wheel spray to destroy the electrics.

I don't know if zero left it open on purpose (cooling ?) but I think the danger of water ruining electrics is greater. 

The cardboard with all dimensions (they are in millimeters by the way) is shown in one of the pictures below, if somebody want to make the splashguard for their own bike. Mind you, that is (off course) at your own risk  ???
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:03:46 AM by remmie »
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

mikeisted

• View Profile
Re: Preventing water ingress from front wheel spray (2014)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »

Looks like a great job.  Well done.  Regarding the cooling, there is a unit of some kind sitting immediately behind that area above the battery on my 2012,  It's not the charger or the controller, and given that their is still airflow through the area, I judged it to be OK. So far so good, but maybe someone more knowledgeable could identify that unit?

mikeisted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 12:29:48 PM »

Just noticed the last photo - you've covered the top too?  Something I've been thinking about as I managed to induce a fault from washing the bike some while ago.  But I haven't done it yet...

mikeisted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 12:31:40 PM »

Oops - just realised that's the template you made up. My bad!

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 12:47:07 PM »

Very nice, thanks for sharing with us.
I never had problem with battery temp, the only thing overheating is the Electronic Speed Control under the saddle.
I've been using duct tape during winter to protect the bike. Not as nice as your solution !!!
Laurent

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 04:43:14 PM »

Dont you think this hack could reduce the air flow & the cooling of the BMS / other components ?

V

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 06:04:06 PM »

I don't think so because the Airflow i'm blocking is hitting the storage bag holder.
The square unit behind the storage bag holder, which i think is the contactor (big relais that switches the battery on and off) should get enough cooling (if it even needs it) by the openings on the side.

The bms is on the front of the battery and is not blocked.

I've ridden in light rain only once for 5 min and once after it had rained, but still I found muddy water residu all the way underneath the storage bag holder and a lot on the wires and connectors which are directly in the 'spray zone'
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

trekguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 07:58:48 AM »

Don't you think with Zero's extensive. exhaustive, comprehensive quality control measures they would have thought of those ramifications ahead of time?

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 01:44:46 PM »

The same quality controls that lets the front sprocket loose on 2013 bikes, rear shock leaking and front fork breaking up ? And that's only the things that happen to me....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:37:51 AM by Le Z Turbo »

pdm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »

Don't you think with Zero's extensive. exhaustive, comprehensive quality control measures they would have thought of those ramifications ahead of time?

I love sarcasm. :)

tommi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »

I love sarcasm. :)
Not sure if sarcasm or sarcasm sarcasm...
Using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]