• May 05, 2024, 10:10:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SRF OBD connector  (Read 2231 times)

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: SRF OBD connector
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 05:11:00 AM »

I didn't watch the half hour video to see what data the guy was getting from his Tesla, I was just going by the data requirements that Larry specified in a later post. The official app and Metrics seem useful for seeing how the bike is performing, which I think might be what he's after. Getting data out through the OBD port seems like it would be more beneficial for diagnostics, seeing when a particular issue pops up and what might be causing it.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2020, 08:18:37 AM »

You can do neat things with OBD data like run sub-systems that react to the information, add additional gauges, etc.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 02:16:08 PM »

Looks like it won’t work. Haven't used it on other ports so not completely sure but all I see is a red light. Even with the bike turned on. And nothing discovered in Bluetooth settings.

2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 08:40:41 PM »

I have an SRF and a cheap bluetooth dongle... The port is in the tank. just never tried it because my daily phone is an iPhone. I'll try this evening if I can connect with it using an Android phone.

Does it even power up? Gen2 Zeros don't even connect the 12V power lines on the OBD-II connector.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2020, 07:44:56 PM »

My Scan Gauge powers up and connects, it shows voltage and that's about it (everything else is zero).  It shows no codes when I scan (expected).  This is on my SR/F.

Update: Took a quick ride today, and kept the Scan Gauge connected.  It correctly tracked RPM and MPH and distance on the trip mode.  As expected MPG is was infinite :)

Steve
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:11:13 PM by stevenh »
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2020, 05:41:49 AM »

> My Scan Gauge powers up and connects, it shows voltage ...

> ... It correctly tracked RPM and MPH and distance on the trip mode. 

Cool!

> As expected MPG is was infinite :)

Haha, I bet some OBD-II readers will have software that malfuntions from that!

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2020, 09:01:09 AM »

My Scan Gauge powers up and connects, it shows voltage and that's about it (everything else is zero).  It shows no codes when I scan (expected).  This is on my SR/F.

Update: Took a quick ride today, and kept the Scan Gauge connected.  It correctly tracked RPM and MPH and distance on the trip mode.  As expected MPG is was infinite :)

Steve

Okay, motor speed, ground speed, and trip distance are nice to have. Did any other data come out of it?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2020, 04:17:49 AM »

No, but it did correctly show a fault code due to my 12v battery sucking.  This was after I attempted to update to version 17 firmware from 16.  I need to get the battery replaced before that's going to work.  I was also able to clear the check engine light using the scangauge.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2020, 12:55:21 PM »

@stevenh are you sure you cleared it with that OBD port? Cause these errors will clear themselvers after toggling key ignition 3 to 4 times (I think it's 3 but it's been a while). As long as the cause went away obviously. This winter I"ve been riding with the CEL on most of the time so I know.
--- Belgium ---

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2020, 05:31:52 AM »

@stevenh are you sure you cleared it with that OBD port? Cause these errors will clear themselvers after toggling key ignition 3 to 4 times (I think it's 3 but it's been a while). As long as the cause went away obviously. This winter I"ve been riding with the CEL on most of the time so I know.

Yes, I watched it clear with the bike powered up.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2020, 06:49:20 AM »

Steve

Just to make things less clear, I've also seen the check engine light spontaneously go away when I was doing nothing more than playing with my tire pump.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2020, 05:17:48 PM »

Steve

Just to make things less clear, I've also seen the check engine light spontaneously go away when I was doing nothing more than playing with my tire pump.

Good point, but the timing was pretty suspect.  Connected the scanner with the bike on, scanned, saw the code.  Hit clear codes (check engine light goes from on to off, and the scanned code is gone).  Seems like it worked...

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2022, 05:38:49 PM »

Digging up this old topic as I realise I never got back to this. The problem was that that Chinese blue obd2 dongle wasn't properly copied and only supported limited subset. I've since then removed the board of it and just used the housing and the connector for an usb to ttl board so I could connect to the serial interface on the zero using proprietary pins. That is documented on the well known zero wiki.

I've also tested other dongles and some do work with standard obd commands. The data I retrieved that way was rather limited. Think of SOC (using SOH obd command) and non EV stuff like temps, ODO, vin...

Haven't found any way into can bus with these dongles. My zero is gone but if you want more info I would look into that serial communication or proper wired can adapters (non tested) instead.
--- Belgium ---

ms_smart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2022, 01:25:17 PM »

I am using a Raspberry PI Zero W with a small housing. The OBD2 port is connected with a simple USB cable (TTL converter). That works great to me. Since I am a shell script man this is what I did:

# Set Serial Line parameter
stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 0:0:1002:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0
# Read line in background
tail -f /dev/ttyUSB0 >$LOG &
# send commands to line
echo >/dev/ttyUSB0
sleep 1
echo time >/dev/ttyUSB0
sleep 1
echo bms interface >/dev/ttyUSB0
sleep 2
echo performance >/dev/ttyUSB0
sleep 2
# stop writing to log file
pkill -P $$
# delete non-printable characters
strings $LOG >$FILE
# Do what you please with the log file $FILE (analyze, store params to mysql database, FTP to your server, ...)

I am sure it will be no rocket science to apply this logic to any script langue you prefer to work with. The Raspberry PI is permanently connected to OBD2 and USB and stores data to a mysql database. This way I learned a lot about the bike. I also tested a simple 2G hat to permanently connect the device to the internet, but learned, that the PI Zero with the additional hat draws too much power from the Zero USB port and malfunctions. For now I only store data in a local database and synchronize if connected with WIFI.

RightRudder

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2022, 10:50:30 AM »

Is this also true for other bikes 2020 and newer in the zero lineup or just the SRF?

[/quote]

This is no longer true for 2020 models. For EU regulations, they had to add an OBD compliant port that works with standard readers. There are now two OBD ports on 2020 non FST bikes. It also has 12V supplied where you expect it. The FST platform bikes have one port but it works just fine with readers :)
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2]