• May 05, 2024, 09:02:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FX killed by firmware?  (Read 893 times)

bking

• View Profile
FX killed by firmware?
« on: July 02, 2015, 10:20:47 PM »

I just bought a '14 FX that had been a floor model at the dealer. It had 50 miles when I brought it home.

On my second ride it died, the throttle just stopped having any effect. I cycled power & it flashed a 2-1 code (contactor error) and would not run. Unfortunately the push home was a mile up a steep hill (cycling the power every time I stopped to rest, still 2-1). The next day it seemed OK, though I sent log files to Zero. They talked me through trying batteries one at a time & we decided one was bad. Zero also said the bike has firmware version 40 & 44 is current, so it should go back to the dealer for an update. It ran, but flashed a 2-0 code (indicator always on), so I took it back to the dealer to check out.

Long story short, after over a week at the dealer I'm told that they updated firmware & now its fixed. No battery was changed, no hardware worked on, no parts touched, just bytes. That sounds crazy to me, so I called Zero. I was told that the bike's self-check writes log files to memory and the memory filled up. Apparently the bike was programmed to stop running when that happens. (I'm glad Zero isn't in aviation.) Has anyone else experienced this? Why would a bike with 50 miles have enough error logs to fill the available memory, and why should running out of space kill the bike?

This really shakes my confidence in the bike and company; I don't know if I should keep it. I really hope this is fixed & hope to love this bike but I'm not sure I trust it any further than I'm willing to push it. Has anyone else had problems like this? As an owner how do I know when I need to return the bike to a dealer for a firmware update? If I die on a motorcycle I don't want it to be because I was trying to push it off a highway because of weak computer science.
'14 Zero FX
'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'65 Honda CB450

Burton

• View Profile
Re: FX killed by firmware?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 11:22:28 PM »

Wonder if there is a way to clear these via the MBB ? Or check remaining size.

Being a developer myself this is a serious oversight on Zero's part if this is true :/
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 03:34:11 AM »

I bought a '14 FX used from a dealership, with 219 mi. on it.  I had a number of error-message and non-starting problems from day one, which were all cured by updating to firmware version 44.

My other '14 FX (bought new from the same dealer) worked perfectly on version 36, until I made some changes using the Zero phone app.  I undid the changes and it seems fine now (no firmware update).

A lot of error indications find their way into the Zero log files.  Key on / kickstand down? Error.  Key on / kill switch off? Error. There are many more. My bike logs at least six errors every time I use it, even if the bike performs flawlessly.

Why would a bike with 50 miles have enough error logs to fill the available memory, and why should running out of space kill the bike?

For the first question, I really don't know, and for the 2nd, it doesn't seem like it should - I think I'd want a second opinion on that.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 02:32:19 PM »

This log overflow error sounds familiar, I'm sure this was fixed by an update sometime last year...
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900
Pages: [1]