Makes And Models > Harley LiveWire Forum

Improved AC charging options - 1.5kW -> 15kW?

(1/6) > >>

manlytom:
Bringing this topic up again in the hope HD reads soem of this and factors it into their product development, or aftermarket "customising" options are emerging.

Loving the country road rides with my LW1, however, road options are limited to CCS2 fast chargers and slow overnight chargers along the way. Looking for options to upgrade the sloowww onboard charger with an adjustable AC charger allowing for slow overnight and ramping up to faster AC charging. At least 3kW but the more the better. Technically replacing the current onboard charger with a similar sized unit, replacing any fuses and some cables or so, might still fit under the tank. 

Any thoughts? Anyone working on this or is HD just to hard to "customise"?

ultrarnr:
Setec makes portable 10kw CCS chargers you can plug into a 220 volt outlet: https://www.setec-power.com/10kw-dc-fast-charger/

MVetter:

--- Quote from: manlytom on January 06, 2023, 08:16:08 AM ---Any thoughts? Anyone working on this or is HD just to hard to "customise"?

--- End quote ---

H-D cut corners on the onboard charger and used the weak 1.3kW one because it was cheap. Obviously there was room for more if they put a turbocord under the seat. I don't see any feasible way to "replace" the onboard unit because the CAN communication will freak out if you put something in there that it doesn't expect; how did you intend to communicate with the bike? Also, it's almost a sure thing that the fuses from the onboard charger are small and will pop if you tried to add more current, so that's another thing you'd have to investigate.

If you just tried to add another independent charger to bolster the onboard unit, how would you tie it into the battery then? Do you tap into the inverter?

ADVENTURESonZERO:

--- Quote from: MVetter on January 07, 2023, 02:54:39 AM ---
--- Quote from: manlytom on January 06, 2023, 08:16:08 AM ---Any thoughts? Anyone working on this or is HD just to hard to "customise"?

--- End quote ---

H-D cut corners on the onboard charger and used the weak 1.3kW one because it was cheap. Obviously there was room for more if they put a turbocord under the seat. I don't see any feasible way to "replace" the onboard unit because the CAN communication will freak out if you put something in there that it doesn't expect; how did you intend to communicate with the bike? Also, it's almost a sure thing that the fuses from the onboard charger are small and will pop if you tried to add more current, so that's another thing you'd have to investigate.

If you just tried to add another independent charger to bolster the onboard unit, how would you tie it into the battery then? Do you tap into the inverter?

--- End quote ---

Without being able to reprogram software, it’s likely not possible?

MVetter:
It may be possible for someone with a giant brain, but I don't see a way to do it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version