Makes And Models > Harley LiveWire Forum

Livewire fast charging

(1/4) > >>

RZ:
Would regular fast charging a Livewire - lets say 100 fast charges over a couple of years - have a detrimental effect on battery life and capacity and/or charger life?

MVetter:
It shouldn't at all. More important is how the battery is cared for/stored during the non-charging times.

ADVENTURESonZERO:

--- Quote from: RZ on July 19, 2023, 01:39:10 AM ---Would regular fast charging a Livewire - lets say 100 fast charges over a couple of years - have a detrimental effect on battery life and capacity and/or charger life?

--- End quote ---

I have over 25k miles on my ELW, and a LOT of fast charging and some serious touring - my battery health is at 98%

heroto:
It helps that LW DC charging isn't very fast.

SwampNut:
Everything has a measurable effect on battery longevity, so I assume the question is what has a really noticeable effect.  I've spent a lot of time studying and working with lithium batteries, and what they do over time.  Every fast charge takes a bit more out of them than slow charge, but unless it's REALLY fast, it's not going to be major.  Tesla has documented this pretty well and hundreds of fast charges do have a couple percentage points more loss than not fast charging.

Charging to 100% and leaving it there will do far more to reduce life.

Leaving a battery near zero also is terrible.

Repeated HOT fast charging is also tough.  If you can let a battery cool before charging, that's good.

Bottom line though, is enjoy your bike and don't go crazy with anxiety over it.  I had battery care anxiety with my E mountain bike, and realized I was hurting my enjoyment.  How stupid, right?  Now it's fun first, then I think about how to care for it that won't impact enjoyment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version