• May 04, 2024, 10:14:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Damage to new tire: Cracked or slashed?  (Read 1100 times)

joematango

• View Profile
Damage to new tire: Cracked or slashed?
« on: March 31, 2015, 12:28:27 PM »

I have just 40 miles on my 2015 Zero S. Looked closely at the right side of the front tire (Pirelli Sport Demon) and found what I took to be cracks in the sidewall. Now I'm wondering if they're possibly slashes instead.
Right side of front tire only. Several together about 3.5" long, 3 longer single cracks, cuts, or slashes about 8" long.
(Of course I'm having the tire replaced tomorrow, but my Zero dealer is ~170 miles away, so I'm having it done locally.)
Any thoughts on what might've caused this damage?

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: Damage to new tire: Cracked or slashed?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 06:10:14 PM »

Defiantly looks like slash or cut.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 08:23:59 PM »

Yep, slash, definitely. :(
Hard to say, but given the varying angles, I'd say it wasn't from debris either.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 08:50:57 PM »

That damage looks like it was done by a sharp knife or box cutter.  At least whomever (or whatever) did that to your tire didn't do the same thing to your plastic fairing parts.  >:( You should probably replace the tire when you can.  I wouldn't ride on it for too long.  :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

joematango

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 09:39:10 PM »

Thanks for all your responses.
Wow! That's kinda freaky. I've had the bike a week, park it inside at night, and the only time I've parked it anywhere in public for more than ten minutes was on a busy public street in the day time.
How common is this? (It's my first bike in nearly 40 years.) I'd think it would be faster to simply knock the bike over, or more cruel to key the plastic 'tank.'
The only reason I can think of to choose slashing the tire instead is to a) make it harder to spot the damage and therefore obscure where it happened or b) perhaps cause me to wreck the bike when the tire blew.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 02:41:07 AM »

I have *never* had my tires slashed.
A friend of mine once had her vans tires done over though.

Very odd, either someone really hates EV's (never met one myself) or its kids being dickheads.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 03:09:10 AM »

In 53 years of motorcycle riding this is the first time I have seen a tire slashed like that.   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

joematango

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 04:22:13 AM »

That's encouraging, Richard. Maybe it'll never happen to me again!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 04:49:09 AM »

That's encouraging, Richard. Maybe it'll never happen to me again!

Let's hope so.  But it sure would be nice to find out how it happened in the first place.   ???

My recommendation for parking a motorcycle on the street, where you are not sure about the local community, is to cover it with a cheap motorcycle cover and lock the cover with a small lock though the grommets (so it  won't blow away or be stolen easily).  Out of sight is usually out of mind.  :)

joematango

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 10:19:03 AM »

I parked today in the same parallel spot where I thought it might've happened, got a sidewalk table down the street and watched while I ate lunch, just in case it would be tried again. It was a long shot, but if it turned out to be a shopkeeper who wanted to encourage motorcyclists to park elsewhere, I thought it might be interesting to see how my armored gloves would perform when fist connected with jaw.
Pages: [1]