General Category > General Discussion

Reducing Washington State electric vehicle fee

<< < (2/3) > >>

Keith:
I ride 95% off road so the EV tax really rubs me wrong. The only fair solution I can think of is a tax on tires. That would equalize the pain in direct proportion to actual vehicle weight and amount of use if properly done. Tire size and weight rating would affect the rates. But a flat yearly per vehicle fee is just not fair to anybody, especially me!

MostlyBonkers:

--- Quote from: Keith on January 13, 2018, 12:11:18 AM ---I ride 95% off road so the EV tax really rubs me wrong. The only fair solution I can think of is a tax on tires. That would equalize the pain in direct proportion to actual vehicle weight and amount of use if properly done. Tire size and weight rating would affect the rates. But a flat yearly per vehicle fee is just not fair to anybody, especially me!

--- End quote ---

Very clever! I've never heard of a tyre tax.  Spot on though; tyres don't lie - a vehicle needs the right tyres to do the job.  I always look at the rear tyre of a motorcycle to help judge the performance of a sports bike.  I'm surprised the Zero SR doesn't wear bigger shoes, considering all that torque. That's the only exception I can think of!

Ever thought of a career as a tax man Keith?

Keith:
I do my own taxes and for a few others too, so maybe. But I'd NEVER be politician! That's who needs to hear these ideas and actually do something right. I'm not holding my breath. The big EV manufactures could lobby for it, but they'd be up against the tire industry. Changing laws is always complicated and never keeps up with tech.

Richard230:

--- Quote from: Keith on January 15, 2018, 02:25:02 AM ---I do my own taxes and for a few others too, so maybe. But I'd NEVER be politician! That's who needs to hear these ideas and actually do something right. I'm not holding my breath. The big EV manufactures could lobby for it, but they'd be up against the tire industry. Changing laws is always complicated and never keeps up with tech.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, in the U.S. (and likely elsewhere) it is all about influence bought with money. Our legislators only seem to really respond to "donations" to their reelection campaigns. If you can't afford to buy yourself a congressman, you don't get any respect, much less any favorable legislation introduced.  I am sure that Zero knows that, but they just can't afford the high price of government influence - and there goes the chance of any electric motorcycle incentives.  :(

Rogercoulter:
Update:  The legislation got all the way through the Senate, and then Senator Rolfes pulled a lot of strings to get it to the House, which amazingly held hearings with one agenda item (MY BILL!) It moved through both committees and to the floor of the House on the last day of the session. Sadly they ran out of time and it didn't get the last vote it needed to go to the Governor's desk. Huge Kudos to Senator Rolfes and Representative Morris for helping it along.   There was a terrifying moment when the House transportation committee was considering it, and no one was there to speak for it. There was  a lot of joking and mocking about special interests and Representative Morris finally put two and two together and figured out what was going on and why this was in fact fair for motorcycles.   We may try again next year.  Importantly, i hope the replacement program considers motorcycles. I love the idea on the tire tax - very clever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version