• May 06, 2024, 10:00:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/F frame sliders mount location  (Read 1329 times)

didierm

• View Profile
SR/F frame sliders mount location
« on: July 18, 2020, 07:01:56 PM »

After a recent low speed low side (which invoked minimal damage thanks to mounted bar ends, fog lights and swingarm spools : https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=10306.msg94006#msg94006), I'd like to install both front/rear axle sliders and frame sliders.

Measurements with the bike down on its side, indicate that 50mm axle sliders should be enough to even keep the (standard SR/F, non-lowered) foot pegs from touching the pavement.

The following sliders seem (apart from the "ABS plastic" moniker ; no Delrin I guess) like a good fit : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32921994076.html .
I do not care too much about the quality of the plastic, as long as its appearance is non-intrusive, and it preferably withstands at least one moderate fall/crash.

(Other sliders which specifically mention Delrin are :
* https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32883311111.html (no dimensions) and
* https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000210679364.html (96 mm !))

* With a bit of homebrew DIY (https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9554.msg84051#msg84051) and a 6mm threaded rod, I guess these may work as axle sliders ;
* for frame slider purposes, the 6mm thread should fit the trellis frame holes (see pictures).

However, I am a bit worried about the best location to mount the frame sliders : I would absolutely like to prevent major damage to the frame should the sliders take a hit : in a low speed crash last year, the factory crash-bars on my DSR protected my legs, but may have invoked some tearing of the frame (resulting in a total loss).

Does anyone care to comment on the most appropriate (i.e. least frame damaging) mount location, or does it not matter one bit ?

Thanks in advance !

ultratoad

• View Profile
Re: SR/F frame sliders mount location
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 09:32:14 PM »

"Frame Slider" is really a misnomer for most of these products.  Single point mount devices of this nature are  designed to protect in a minor "tip over."  They can save expensive bits while doing little to no frame damage.  However, in a good "get off" at speed these products frequently tear away, provide little protection and may even cause undue damage at the mounting point (frame/engine).  There are industrial grade Frame Sliders for those with trick bikes.  These usually mount at 3 or more points on the bike and can provide serious protection.  You need to know what you are asking for !?!?

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 10:23:49 PM »

If I was going to DIY something I'd go for something that spans between those two points you have circled and mounts in the middle of them. That way if it breaks off in a slide it snaps the mounting point on the spanning part and not where that attaches to the frame (hopefully). Also it may allow some lateral flex to absorb some energy instead of transferring it straight through the frame and battery.

didierm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 03:30:47 AM »

"Frame Slider" is really a misnomer for most of these products.  Single point mount devices of this nature are  designed to protect in a minor "tip over."  They can save expensive bits while doing little to no frame damage.  However, in a good "get off" at speed these products frequently tear away, provide little protection and may even cause undue damage at the mounting point (frame/engine).  There are industrial grade Frame Sliders for those with trick bikes.  These usually mount at 3 or more points on the bike and can provide serious protection.  You need to know what you are asking for !?!?

Seems like one falls between a rock and a hard place (no pun intended) : I'd like to have the minor tip-over protection, but also prevent undue damage at higher speeds.
And preferably without a cage construction.
Argh.

didierm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 03:34:11 AM »

If I was going to DIY something I'd go for something that spans between those two points you have circled and mounts in the middle of them. That way if it breaks off in a slide it snaps the mounting point on the spanning part and not where that attaches to the frame (hopefully). Also it may allow some lateral flex to absorb some energy instead of transferring it straight through the frame and battery.

Unfortunately, such a construction would be far beyond my DIY skills, and seems exactly what my dealer has developed for SR/F police duty (and completely out of my financial scope) : https://schockaertmotors.be/product/zero-srf-drop-bars-by-schockaert/
It seems they're using the exact same mount points I've indicated.

didierm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 02:14:48 AM »

I went ahead, and installed "sliders" on both front and rear axles (by means of 6 mm stainless steel threaded rods), and the earlier mentioned mount points.

While the front axle protection is a bit superfluous (the bike rests/slides on the other sliders and the handlebar ends), I nevertheless installed the front axle siliders  to respect some kind of symmetry ; in reality, the sliders are visually quite unobtrusive (for my taste).

Nice bonus : the installed fog lights are somewhat protected (though they'll probably have to endure a hit when siding).

didierm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 02:15:41 AM »

At its (left) side :

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 01:35:17 PM »

Props for laying your bike down to see what touches the ground!  8)
Did you also try to lay the bike on it's side without the protection in place? Would be interested to see what touches first.

** Please don't take the following as criticism **
I have nothing but respect for homebrew problem solving, I have learned so much in the past 20 years doing exactly this sort of thing.

I suspect that at speeds above 25 mph the size of the bolts (M8?) securing the frame sliders would shear off. When parked or at low speed they should stay in place and absorb impact energy. However that might cause more damage to the bodywork vs if they were not there. By moving where the ground contacts the lower parts of the bike it could cause the top parts of the bike (tank and tail fairings) to receive impact. Is there no possible mounting locations higher up on the bikes frame?

didierm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 03:32:45 PM »

Demoni, thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.

The bolts and rods are M6 (the bolts fit the original mounting holes on the frame).

The sliders shearing off at high speed does not concern me too much. If such an event would occur, I guess I'll have other things on my mind than some bodywork damage.

The top parts of the bike are  'protected' by the handlebars hitting the ground first, and "elevating" the tank and other parts.
I learned this first hand after hitting a curbstone during roadworks at night. My bar end had a shaving as the bar end, fog light and swingarm spool took the impact, protecting the bodywork : https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=10306.msg94006#msg94006 .

I do not immediately discern mounting locations higher up the frame ...

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 07:07:25 PM »

Nice work. I've ridden with skateboard wheels on my axles but didn't reinstall after the first time the wheel had to come out. Your solution is way better.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

RoryRed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 10:47:09 PM »

2020_SRS_Commuter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 02:02:19 AM »

Thank you Rory! I was preparing to assemble a mount for additional lighting on either side of the bike The parts I had assembled are all on the bench waiting for my day off. I intended to put extra lights EXACTLY in the position those sliders are in. This may be worth it in terms of fabrication time so I dont have to make the mounts.

2020_SRS_Commuter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 02:04:17 AM »

I tried purchasing from Trex and they are out of stock. I filled out the thingy that promises to email you when stock returns, but havent heard back yet.
Pages: [1]