• May 09, 2024, 09:59:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: EV vs new ICE model ranges  (Read 1339 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: EV vs new ICE model ranges
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2023, 09:07:44 PM »

edit:  How about that cyber truck I was going to put a deposit on $40k for the base and 7K for auto pilot.  Something like choose 1, 2, or 3 motors and take deposits but they seem to be coming out with a 4 motor one first.
I like the 4-motor idea, but I don't understand why anybody would pay for Autopilot, yet many do. I tried it when they had the 30-day free trial. After I tried it a few times, I would rather just drive my own car. Besides, needing to keep hands on the steering wheel at all times defeats any practical use for it.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

flynnstig82r

• Just another lanesplitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2023, 11:00:37 PM »

I have a feeling there are going to be a LOT of broken chargers in the future.  Unless YOU / WE want to pay 75 cents to a dollar a KW/hr to make it profitable for someone to put one in, (I think we all know the answer to that one) I just don't see it happening for long.  The govt grants are mostly bullshit and so restrictive, and I don't think they cover continual maintenance and repairs.

Oh and just wait until the states figure out how to tax them more and the price to charge is 3 dollars per Kw/hr because of all the extra fees and taxes

Aaron
I agree, and it seems that we're headed for a real crunch sometime in the next few years as people keep buying EV's and the charging network continues to rot. Tesla will likely increase prices for other OEMs and use their network as a profit center for other EV's, and people will pay the higher prices after they get tired of the unreliable Chargepoint, EVGo, and EA networks.

I love electric motorcycles, but I'm kinda glad that I'm on gas right now. What I really want to see is a comfortable and powerful plug-in hybrid bike that can handle short trips on battery power and then switch to gas. I'm open to series or parallel hybrids, and I think there are a lot of interesting possibilities with either approach (like an ungeared gas motor that acts as a generator until high speeds and then helps drive the wheels). In terms of environmental and equitable sustainability, a small battery that saves a large amount of gas is the best combo given the manufacturing emissions and supply chain concerns of lithium-based batteries. Honda has shown that you can have a middleweight bike that gets 65+ MPG in the NC750X, so I don't think 80+ MPG with strong acceleration is out of the question if and when hybrids mature in the market. I'm watching the Ninja 7 and Z7 with interest, but I don't think sales of this first gen will be strong so it's an open question whether successors will be pursued.

Meanwhile, I'll sit pretty with my ~40 MPG FJR that is all-day comfortable and runs sub-11 second 1/4 miles because life is hard.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2020 Energica SS9 13.4 kWh
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800
2012 Yamaha FZ6R

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2023, 11:22:49 PM »

I love electric motorcycles, but I'm kinda glad that I'm on gas right now. What I really want to see is a comfortable and powerful plug-in hybrid bike that can handle short trips on battery power and then switch to gas.
Check this out.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2023, 02:33:36 AM »

I like the 4-motor idea, but I don't understand why anybody would pay for Autopilot, yet many do. I tried it when they had the 30-day free trial. After I tried it a few times, I would rather just drive my own car. Besides, needing to keep hands on the steering wheel at all times defeats any practical use for it.

-Don-  Reno, NV
[/quote]

falling asleep   Doesn't it steer by the white lines on the road. 

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2023, 05:52:44 PM »

IF the lines are in good condition.  also if you are that tired you really should not be driving.  what next drunk driving, so it can help you stay in the lines?

They use many inputs to navigate with the lines being one of them but as with many highways, they are not always in pristine condition and I think it warns you and deactivates if it's not on a road that is specially conditioned to run autopilot cars on

aaron

flynnstig82r

• Just another lanesplitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2023, 10:41:11 PM »

-Don-  Reno, NV
I like the idea of the Ninja 7 and Z7, but I couldn’t give up the saddle and creature comforts of the FJR just to get an extra ~30 MPG. It’s a good first step, but it seems like Kawi needs to refine it, and they might not bother if sales are slow. It’s great that it has strong acceleration, but are people who want quickness even going to look at a hybrid? And if people want efficiency and utility, it’s a hard sell over the Honda NC750X at the likely $12-14k price point. The EV-only mode is interesting for European city centers, but won’t most of them just get a 125cc-equivalent electric scooter?

Don’t get me wrong, I really like what Kawi is doing with these bikes, but I don’t think they will be a huge sales hit in this first gen attempt.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2020 Energica SS9 13.4 kWh
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800
2012 Yamaha FZ6R

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2023, 09:56:04 PM »

Was the tesla 4 motors or 3?  I seem to recall seeing 3 motors somewhere.
The cyber truck looks to be a beast, however all that stainless, in the bright sunlight, I can see that thing blinding the other drivers with the glare / reflection off it.

Aaron
Pages: 1 [2]