• May 09, 2024, 09:36:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hertz dumping 20K EVs into the used car market  (Read 501 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Hertz dumping 20K EVs into the used car market
« on: January 13, 2024, 08:30:00 PM »

I saw an article in my newspaper recently (which I managed to misplace) that said that Hertz was selling off 20,000 of their electric rental cars. They gave several reasons for doing so, such as the cost to maintain them, the cost to repair them, the fact that they were getting into accidents more than their ICE cars, and the rapid drop in resale value of the cars. The article seemed to imply that Tesla's were the thorn in their side.

Other recent articles have said that the public's interest in buying EVs is dropping. Interestingly, yesterday I heard a radio news report which reported that Toyota was designing and planned to manufacture a new type of ICE engine. It is starting to look like the vehicle market is not going to be ready for many countries mandate that no more ICE-powered cars be sold starting in 2035 (or earlier in some cases).
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Starpower

• View Profile
Re: Hertz dumping 20K EVs into the used car market
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 10:47:15 PM »

There are some super deals to be had, but most are in FL. I personally don't believe that the interest in buying EV's is dropping at all.
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 12:53:58 AM »

Id love to see some electric trucks from them.
anyone have a link to the auction house for these vehicles?

Aaron

Edit:  Richard I just looked at their official car sale site and they don't even have florida listed as a place they got cars for sale at.  They are listing mostly in Texas, and the price they want for those electrics.  50k miles for a chevy bolt at 21k dollars?  That's a bit high imo.  I think you can get them low to mid 30's fully stuffed brand new, and 50k is some miles on the battery already, and being a rental, you know it was driven like it was stolen

edit x 2  the tesla's are all in florida
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 01:01:34 AM by Specter »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 04:16:38 AM »

Here is a link to a short CBS news article regarding Hertz selling some of their EV inventory: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tesla-cars-used-hertz-discount-ev-fleet/
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 02:35:55 PM »

Im not sure these deals are all that great.
Ok, looking at tesla Model 3.  Their starter car basically

I can get a brand new one for 46 grand, long range
Thru the auction I can get a 2022 for 32 grand.
ok that's 14k savings  BUT......

The car is 2 years old, the manu warranty is gone afaik.  The battery is good for 120k miles, this car has 71K on it.  that leaves you 50k left on the battery warranty.with that much use on it, the batteries capacity is already down probably 15 percent to 20 percent, they typically are warrantied for 80 percent cap after x time.  So you basically just paid 7k extra for an extended range car, that now is back to normal range car from the wear.

This gives you maybe 2 to 3 years driving time on the car before it's battery warranty is gone as well.

Note:  The batteries are warrantied for 8 years total if you don't hit the mileage marker first.  THIS is because time has shown that 8 years is about the length of time these things last before the MAJOR problems start showing up on the batteries.  ie their capacity crashes, they dendrite over and catch fire, etc etc.

If you really want an electric car, then yah, hop on it but this don't seem too snazzy a deal from my pov.  I honestly don't know. but not impressed.

Oh, and also, Tesla is a bit sneaky on their pricing for the car.  they apply an estimated savings to the total price of the car.  so the show you the final list price of 54k,   AFTER taking off the estimated 3 to 4k of gas savings they claim you'll have.    Have you seen the price of electricity lately?  It's going WAY UP, so how much does the electric cost me to charge the fucker?   Also, does the free charging at tesla charging stations carry over with it?  Hertz never had that because they are commercial entity I believe they had to pay to charge at a tesla station.  or charge their own, so you don't even get that perk anymore I don't believe.

Buyer beware.

Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 04:36:22 AM »

Here is the city of San Jose's plan for making recharging your EV convenient for residents owning one who live in a new apartment. It is an interesting idea, but I wonder about maintenance and how the apartment owner will recover or apportion their increased monthly electrical costs?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 04:41:01 AM by Richard230 »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 08:11:05 PM »

Here is the city of San Jose's plan for making recharging your EV convenient for residents owning one who live in a new apartment. It is an interesting idea, but I wonder about maintenance and how the apartment owner will recover or apportion their increased monthly electrical costs?

Easy, they'll hire union dirt bags to install the thing at 4x the price, and just bump the rent up another 1k a month.  When it breaks down in 6 months or so, it'll sit there for the next year broke, and thus join the growing fleet of nation wide chargers that don't work either.   Either that or just run a 50 amp feed out there, and put up 6 chargers at 115v/15a each and there's your charger bank.  If you leave your car plugged overnight it should be charged enough for you to goto work in the morning.  Getting back home, well that's your employers problem, use HIS charger.

This would be a great place for Energica to sell all the Dealer Cert Used bikes they are getting back,  here you go!! A vehicle that will get you back and forth to work AND fully charge overnight.  A win win for all!!

Aaron
Pages: [1]