• May 15, 2024, 06:33:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2010 S Chain rattle, any mods?  (Read 1846 times)

wapit

• View Profile
2010 S Chain rattle, any mods?
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:31:31 PM »

I really enjoy using my 2010 S however there is just one thing that bugs me, the chain rattle noise.

I've experimented by over tightening it and this had some effect but still rattles a bit so I put it back to the correct tension. There must be some after market chain guards or extra rubber bits that I can add somewhere to reduce the noise.

So I just wondered if anyone has already had some success with a modification or two?

Also considered converting to a belt drive but Zero says there are no kits to do this?

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: 2010 S Chain rattle, any mods?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 08:51:03 PM »

You might try replacing the chain with an O-ring type. Those are typically quieter than the non-O-ring "heavy duty" types.  An O-ring chain will last many times longer than an non-O-ring chain, require much less maintenance, will be more expensive, heavier and have more of a drag on power until thoroughly warmed up.  Unfortunately exposed chain drives will always make noise, especially when there is no IC exhaust to overwhelm the chain noise.  Other than installing an O-ring chain, I don't think there is anything that can be done about the nose - other than wearing earplugs.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

wapit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 09:17:06 PM »

Thanks for the reply I might try that out but to be honest the general noise of the chain when running on a smooth surface is fine.

The "rattle" noise I am describing is made when I go over bumps etc... the chain must be hitting the swing arm in some way, as it's hollow it makes a very noisy chinky/rattle sort of sound. Maybe I simply have not got the tension right but even when I thought I had over tightened it would make some of the rattle sound going over bumps.

The chain itself does not seem to have much space between it and the hollow swing arm.

Or maybe it's not the chain at all perhaps something is just about to fall off!  :-[

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:41:45 PM »

If the chain is hitting the swingarm, or something else, you should be able to see the damage.  If it is hitting the swingarm, you could probably purchase a nylon swingarm chain guide, which is use on most IC motorcycles, from a Japanese or European bike dealer. Just check out various motorcycles on the showroom floor and look for a guide that seems like it would fit your bike.  Then cut it to fit your bike and glue it on the swingarm, if that is where the chain is hitting or rubbing.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:05:03 PM »

The chain can't hit the swingarm because ZERO already has a nylon chain guard there. The sound we hear is the chain hitting the nylon guard.

I have this annoying rattle on both my 2010 DS and my 2012 DS because I modified the 2012 DS to a chain drive for dirt riding (belt too vulnerable to damage). I haven't come up with any way to avoid it, except when right after I re-adjust the chain. It soon stretches enough to return the rattle.

One thing I might consider is a spring loaded chain idler wheel. I've done this on some custom bikes I've built but I haven't given it serious thought yet for the ZERO. I've made some quiet idlers by machining urethane skateboard / scooter wheels (have to deep freeze them with liquid propane, to machine the soft urethane). Hmmmm....................

Trikester

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
Re: Re: 2010 S Chain rattle, any mods?
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:12:59 PM »

There are no bolt on kits for belt drive but you could machine an adapter plate for the rear pulley to fit a 2011 to 2010. Not sure if you'll run into any other issues but I don't foresee any problems.

Unfortunately little clearance between the chain and swingarm will prohibit you from using o-ring chain.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 11:37:15 PM »

The drag of an O-Ring chain will lower the mileage. I'm willing to put up with more noise if it will get me farther on my battery. Also if I had to push a dead bike home, I wouldn't want the extra load of an O-Ring chain. In fact, using a "regular" chain, I carry pliers to remove the quick link, just in case I have to push the bike. Without any chain, I could also coast any (even slight) downhills I might come to on the way. These bikes roll pretty easily when not turning over the motor.

Trikester

Brammofan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 11:57:45 PM »

The drag of an O-Ring chain will lower the mileage.
I changed the chain on my Enertia from standard to o-ring and did not notice a change in my range.  I say that with some confidence as my commute follows the same route every day and I arrive home with a state of charge that varies from 28 - 40 percent.  That may seem like a wide margin, but it's always been that same margin.  I attribute it to wind, temperature, and riding style. 

When I changed to an o-ring chain the noise reduction was amazing.  Because of that, I was predicting that my range would actually increase, probably because I was attributing the standard chain noise to increased friction, to a resulting limitation in the range.  I was wrong, however.  The range has not varied at all.  I will say, however, that the lack of sound from the o-ring chain will probably make you FEEL like you are sailing along.

If Harlan is correct that you are not able to use an o-ring chain (and I have no reason to doubt this very knowledgeable dude) then, that is unfortunate.
2010 Brammo Enertia

ed5000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 12:00:22 AM »

The drag of an O-Ring chain will lower the mileage. I'm willing to put up with more noise if it will get me farther on my battery. Also if I had to push a dead bike home, I wouldn't want the extra load of an O-Ring chain. In fact, using a "regular" chain, I carry pliers to remove the quick link, just in case I have to push the bike. Without any chain, I could also coast any (even slight) downhills I might come to on the way. These bikes roll pretty easily when not turning over the motor.

Trikester
I had to push my 2010 DS with a stock chain drive 5 city blocks and I found the bike very easy to Push.  It was somewhere between a bicycle and a heavier gas bike but closer to the bicycle.
2010 Zero DS                                             Track your ev mileage:  evclub.org

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 12:09:54 AM »

I guess the definition of easy is relative. Both of my ZERO's are noticeably harder to push with the chain on, compared to with the chain off. True, I could push them a fair distance while turning over the motor, but it would definitely be more work and I couldn't coast slight downhills. With the chain off it rolls as easy as a bicycle. I could probably even kick it along. Well worth the short time to remove the chain, if you have a quick link.

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 09:19:16 AM »

I guess the definition of easy is relative. Both of my ZERO's are noticeably harder to push with the chain on, compared to with the chain off. True, I could push them a fair distance while turning over the motor, but it would definitely be more work and I couldn't coast slight downhills. With the chain off it rolls as easy as a bicycle. I could probably even kick it along. Well worth the short time to remove the chain, if you have a quick link.

now, how about a regen charging while we push them ? push a mile, ride a bit ???

OK, guess that much energy to generate by "push" is a big ask. but push up to a hill and coast down & charge ?
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 01:50:55 AM »

I had the same gripe with my 2010 ds, lots of rattle from the chain. There isn't enough clearance for an oring chain. i rigged a couple of rollers that sit on the top of the swingarm that prevent the chain from slapping the side of the swingarm and that helped a bit. I replaced the rear sprocket from stock, it's a 51 tooth I think, with a 61 tooth and got rid of the chain slap and improved the acceleration a lot, but I haven't checked the range now since I mainly ride around the neighborhood and local trails. I have a 2012 ds that I want to do the chain conversion, i have the parts.

wapit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 02:43:19 PM »

Hi, thanks for getting back to the topic.

Are you able to show a picture of your rollers or let me know where you sourced the larger sprocket?

These sound like good soultions
Pages: [1]