• May 13, 2024, 08:02:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero FXS J-plug installation  (Read 1325 times)

staples

• View Profile
Zero FXS J-plug installation
« on: July 20, 2021, 08:42:38 AM »

I've been iterating on my accessory charging for my FXS. I started by putting all the bits in a bag that I would strap to the back seat. When I'd pull up to a charger, I'd un-bungee the bag from the back seat, lay it out and start connecting all the cables. moving the bag and charger around got a bit annoying, so I found a way to mount the charger on the back seat. This was nice. No more bungee cords. Just pop open the trunk to grab all the cables and wire everything up. That too has become annoying. So I permanently installed most of the cables and my J-1772 inlet. Now my charging process is, pull up, plug in the J-plug (which starts the OBC), then grab the DC cable from the trunk and plug that into the charger and aux port. I no longer have to mess with the AC side of things at J stations.

INSTALL:
The process of installing it was somewhat easy.
1. Removed the seat and both front fairings.
2. With the right front fairing removed, I started by lining up where I thought it would fit best. In this image I actually have all three tails of my inlet going through the frame to the other side in front of the OBC. So much space in there.

3. I then drilled the main hole into the fairing with a hole saw.
4. Placed it back on the bike to ensure it lined up.
5. Removed the 4 mounting bolts from my inlet and placed it in the hole...
6. ... so I could drill the 4 mounting bolt holes for the inlet.
7. Then bolted the inlet on to the fairing.

8. Ran my accessory charger power cable through the bike right in front of the onboard charger and back under the seat along side the brake lines. It pops out between the rear fender and side fairing.

9. Plugged the C13 tail of my inlet adapter into the onboard charger and left the other two additional outlets to dangle out the charger hole.
10. Mounted the front fairings and seat back on the bike.

FAQ:
Is the inlet in the way of me knee? No. I'm 5'11" and still have a couple inches of space in my normal riding position.
Are the cables in the way of the front fender when the wheel is turned? No.
Why have the receptacles stick out like that? For the most flexibility in charging. I can unplug the accessory charger here and plug it directly in with an extension cord if I want to run it without the onboard charger. This flexibility even gives me the option to plug a double plugged extension cord into the spare receptacle to power the OBC and accessory at the same time without using the J-1772 inlet.
Did you fail at lining up the hole saw? Yes. You can see I had to epoxy a small crescent of plastic back onto the fairing, because despite my best efforts I was off by about an inch with my hole saw. If it bothers me in the future (it doesn't now), I'll replace that fairing and do it right the first time.
What about the badging? The "FXS" on the right fairing had to be removed because it was in the way for the inlet. I also noticed today that the R of ZERO on the left front fairing has fallen off. I'll probably just remove all of them.
Unrelated: Why does it say FX on the rear fairing? I've always wondered that, but never cared. That's what they gave me on the bike when I ordered it with the givi trunk and mount.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Zero FXS J-plug installation
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 11:14:34 AM »

Nice! ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 06:41:52 PM »

Staples didn't anyone tell you this can't be done?
Because if a J plug and aux charger could be put on the FXS platform then the FXE would surely have it.
Right?
RIGHT?
Come on Zero.

Sorry, just letting out a bit of frustration.   :)

Nice job.  What is your total charge speed now?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 07:08:04 PM »

I think Zero is still selling to non-EV users.  A j-plug is extra complication (but future proofs).  See also Don-tom and his nema-50 rant.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 08:03:13 PM »

Staples didn't anyone tell you this can't be done?
Because if a J plug and aux charger could be put on the FXS platform then the FXE would surely have it.
Right?
RIGHT?
Come on Zero.

Sorry, just letting out a bit of frustration.   :)

I'm right there with you.

Nice job.  What is your total charge speed now?

I have a 3.3 elcon, plus the onboard, I usually see 3.7ish when charging. Complete full charge would be about 2hrs, but who ever does that? It's not great, but better than 9.

I'll be putting this through a big test next month for the Lake Michigan Circle Tour. I'm planning 8 days, and planning to carry about as many electrical adapters. J stations at an FXS interval don't quite exist on the north half.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 09:46:39 AM »

Very functional. Not pretty, but functional!

Next step is to hardwire the DC cable?

and maybe rainproof things a bit... maybe put a shower cap over the charger. :)

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 09:58:56 PM »

Very functional. Not pretty, but functional!

Next step is to hardwire the DC cable?

and maybe rainproof things a bit... maybe put a shower cap over the charger. :)

I'm thinking about hardwiring the DC cable, but I want the flexibility to remove the charger when I don't need it. The thought of having the DC connector exposed while riding in the rain seems like a bad idea.

The charger itself is IP67 rated, so I'm not too worried about that component. I'll probably just put a baggie and rubber band around the AC power connections or something. Maybe an umbrella while charging? Still figuring these things out. I haven't charged in the rain at all, but should be prepared.
Pages: [1]