• May 07, 2024, 05:53:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: fairing fitment questions  (Read 4538 times)

quixotic

• View Profile
Re: fairing fitment questions
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 08:29:51 AM »

As a lighter alternative to the two adjustable hooks I'm thinking you can use a metal band (gear clamp?), the heavy duty kind for securing plumbing? Just cut/drill a slot on the sides of the front piece of aluminum close to the end where it makes contact with the steering column, pass the metal band through there, and wrap around the steering column? Or instead of drilling, use a bolt like you have, but instead of sideways, have it vertical and use both ends of it (above and below the aluminum piece) to pull with one band each towards the steering column?

I'm thinking like these, but perhaps heavier duty, maybe a pair?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-4-in-Galvanized-Steel-Worm-Gear-Clamp-MC4HD/203626508?fbtLinkClicked=1465954177901|203626509

EDIT.  Now that I look at your photos, there might not be space for the bands on the rear side of the steering column...

Thanks Kocho.  There are probably quite a few ways to skin this cat.  At the back end of the steering column though, the space is extremely limited. A heavy duty "jubilee clamp" (as the English call it) might not even fit.
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 07:24:35 AM »

Yup! I'm very interested to see how your project turns out. Another benefit of such mounting system is that it might make it possible to move the windscreen further forward than it can be mounted now. For tall folks like me, as it is I don't have enough space to duck properly behind the screen...
'15 Zero SR

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 12:12:09 PM »

Looks like Terry and Vetter, just welded a bracket to mount the fairing in one place at the head tube and 2 places on the bottom of the frame.

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/2013%20Streamliner/2013-vetter-streamliner-Hershner-p64.html

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 07:36:12 AM »

So far, so good.  I think Walt at Airtech was right when he guessed that the CR4501 would be the closest fit...even though the Zero is a bit wider than the single cylinder, 60's vintage Hondas that it was made for. 

I've got 8 attachment points, so it's fairly solid.  Took it out on the highway today.  It's not bad for reducing the buffeting, but I now need to do something about the seat, so that I can slide further back (either a Corbin or something homemade, I guess).  I also need some actual clip-ons (the clubmans are a bit too wide), as well as some round front turn signal lights (the triangles clash, in my opinion).  And, of course, a good paint job (solid yellow, but I haven't decided on decals yet). 

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 07:38:58 AM »

And here's a photo of the headlight brackets.

PS. if the mirrors on the previous post look a little wonky, it's because I forgot to extend them...they're shown in storage, or lane splitting mode).

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 12:10:31 PM »

That looks great! How much space is there for your legs to tuck behind?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 08:54:41 PM »

That looks great! How much space is there for your legs to tuck behind?
Not much space at all (maybe 3" to 4").  HOwever, since I don't have rear-set foot pegs, I had to cut off the back section.  There is a lot of flex in the unit, so if the back section was still there, the space might be increased to 4" to 5".  I think those early small Hondas must have been very skinny. 

As it is, however, the fairing nicely hides the boxy-looking battery. 

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 04:21:43 AM »

I'm wondering now if I should install a home-made cooling duct or two in the same place as the originals.  It wouldn't be too difficult.  But should I just do it on the left side?  On the 2013 S, the right side is somewhat blocked by thick wiring, whereas the left side has a semi-circular hole punched out of the battery cover (seemingly to facilitate air movement).  So it looks like Zero designed the cooling mainly to come from the left side. 

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 04:22:40 AM »

Hey, quixotic, how do you like the airtech from a qualitym and weight point of view?

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 09:39:35 PM »

I'd suggest chopping the turn signals and replacing them with LED strips that are flush with the fairing.

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 12:18:08 AM »

Hey, quixotic, how do you like the airtech from a qualitym and weight point of view?

They don't have the quality of a Parabellum fairing.  But then they don't have the weight, either.  And the Airtechs come in all those old and cool looking designs.  I think quality on a fairing relates a lot to how many attachment points there are to the bike.  That affects the rigidity. 

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 12:21:07 AM »

I'd suggest chopping the turn signals and replacing them with LED strips that are flush with the fairing.

Good idea, but it's too late for me.  I've already put in some Drag Specialty signal lights.  Two different wattages (8w and 23w), so I wired up the 23w filament.  (Very bright!)

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 06:54:05 AM »

Here's the latest.  I added turn signals by Drag Specialties.  Gives a choice of 8w or 23w (stock is 10w, if I recall).

I still need to get some actual clip-ons. I suspect they'll be Speedymoto with 2" risers.  Will be getting some yellow vinyl to replace the burgundy leather where the seat has to transition into the absent fake tank.  And, at some point, a Corbin seat with yellow piping.  And as for the indents ("oil cooler vents" according to Airtech), I may try to incorporate them into cooling vents that would extend back to the motor.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:57:24 AM by quixotic »

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 07:24:54 AM »

So I started getting nervous about that "breastplate" that stretches across to the two sides of the fairing.  Also, the lower steering stem brackets.  They're a tad close to the front fender, so if I have to make a sudden stop at the same time as I run over a pothole, the fender might smash into the fairing brackets and breastplate.

Therefore, I got out the 1/8" 3-ply plywood again and made another plate, but with a curve in it (and also with a little peephole, so I can see the battery lights).  I also re-positioned the aluminum angled brackets so that they face upwards (and give an extra half inch of spacing between them and fender).  And I painted them.  At some point, the fender might still smash into them, but it's slightly less likely now.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 07:27:16 AM »

I think quality on a fairing relates a lot to how many attachment points there are to the bike.  That affects the rigidity. 

That is certainly food for thought. Thanks for sharing your updates all around - the bike certainly looks good!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 [2] 3