• May 07, 2024, 04:04:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: starting my first electric motorcycle NEED HELP  (Read 2253 times)

hereicome

• View Profile
starting my first electric motorcycle NEED HELP
« on: June 19, 2008, 07:56:39 AM »

ok so i'm about to start building a motorcycle but i need some help with what i need to do to make it

just so everyone knows i have a basic understanding of electronics and i have a medium budget

1) what are all the parts i need to make the bike, costs, and how do they connect to one another

2) what bike frame is best suited for this (i would like it to be a sport bike)

3) is there any miscellaneous things i need to know before starting

thanks

Bogan

• View Profile
Re: starting my first electric motorcycle NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 05:51:50 PM »

Obviously you will need a motor, controller, and batteries.
Other things are a battery charge monitor (essentially a fuel guage).
A 12v converter to step down the series battery voltage to power the indicators and lights, many people just take it directly off one battery, but this loads one more than the others, so will wear it out earlier, especially if u ride with headlights on.
A good battery charger, some can charge straight to the main voltage, while others need to be connected to each cell individualy.
How they connect is usually fairly self explanatory, as long as you get matching components, suppliers will be able to help you out there.
Bike frame depends on your design (batteries and motor placement) and mechanical aptitude, i recomend a diamon tubular aluminium frame (common on 90's bikes), if you can weld aluminium of course. This type of frame means you have a large clear space lower down, and requires only the addition of more material, which will not compromise frame strength, this is the frame im using in my current conversion (see high performance homebuilt sportsbike). On the other hand the double cradle frame type (80's bikes), allows for less mechanical work, as there are frame supports down low, however these are generally unable to be moved so if your parts do not fit well then you're buggerd.

hope this helps
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 05:42:13 AM by Bogan »

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 09:47:33 PM »

note to mod, post should probably be moved to the tech section.

Done.  Good info Bogan.

Gregski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:12:08 PM »

I am new too, and someone recommended the book The Secrets of El Ninja, $39.95.  No I am not affiliated, just trying to help.  I am contemplating buying it, education costs, right?  I know that the answers are out there for free among the dozens of do it yourselfer websites, but I am tired of reading 90% unrelated or duplicate material looking for that 10% of valuable information.

http://www.21wheels.com/elninja.html

EVAlbum.com is a great resource also

Pages: [1]