Makes And Models > Energica

Charging Plug Indicator

(1/2) > >>

Specter:
Just thinking out loud here.
More than once I have 'forced' the plug on my bike, it was connected, and that stupid little lock thing was up, and I wiggled and snapped the plug out of the charging port, because the bike was done charging, it said remove plug, but didn't release the sob.  I heard it snap as I forced the plug out past it then said, oh shit, hope I didn't break anything.

With a lighter gauge AC J plug you can kind of feel if it's latched or not, but still they can get stiff sometimes and you may not notice it's still holding, especially if you are someone who is newer to e bike charging.

Forcing the charge cable out is a BAD thing, you snap that latch or booger up the switch, it's a done deal, you won't charge anymore until you jump or fix that thing.

Now, a smaller cable you can kind of feel, a BIGGER cable, say for a full blown CCS charge, that thing is rated at 100 amps or so, it's HEAVY, plus since it's so thick, it's awkward, and you have to smash it's ass down to make sure the latch thing is fully seated or it won't initialize properly.

You have no clue if that sob is latched shut or not, the frame flexes and pops so you may not hear the 'click' when it does.

How about a little red light / green light led by the plug to let you know if the lock latch is up or down?   For future bikes of course.
OR, and no you can't redesign the control pad on it, too expensive, but you CAN change the software a bit.  How about wording then on the charge screen, latch engaged, latch free.. or something to that affect to let people know HEY, it's still LOCKED, don't yank on it?  Maybe also a little icon that lights up by a picture of a charge plug on the charging screen  or something, that shows if the switch that tells you, ok the plug is fully inserted, is activated or not.  This way you KNOW you got the plug seated fully and properly, and the charge start request won't fault out on you because of that error.  (It doesn't even tell you why it faulted most the times either, it just times out or gives a general fault, how hard would it be to add verbage, plug switch not made?)

The signals are already coming into the bike, or at least a 'last command', 'last state' byte is should be available to look at.  This is an eazy peazy upgrade that would be a really GOOD thing, and make charging a bit easier overall.

It's these little classy things, that while are very minor, make people go, wow, that's a nice feature, and want to buy the bike...  just my 2 coffee beans worth of opinion.

Aaron

jotjotde:
Totally agree!

Just thinking, while they are at it, they could reinforce the whole charge slot at bit. When I need to CCS my Ribelle on a 150 or 300 kW charger the cables are so stiff and heavy I can actually see how the weight pulls the slot to the side. That can't be healthy!
If Energica removes that blingy flashing logo that no one needs from the 'tank' top, that even could be done without a cost increase.

Specter:
Id like to see the plug on the side of the bike maybe, under the seat area maybe? with maybe like a cover on it like an outside receptacle would have.  That way you don't have to fiddle dick with the seat and that latch to charge it, just plug it right in there.  Possibly use that bit of area under the seat then for a mini storage area. It'd be an awesome place to put a quick tire patch kit and inflation cartridges or very basic small tools.

Another thing that kind of scares me is, I live in Florida, we can literally have a thunderstorm brew up in like 5 or 10 minutes,  I have nightmares of that seat being open, all that shit exposed and here comes a gully whumper dumping half an inch of rain in 5 minutes into your charging bike before you can get off the pot and out to disconnect it :/

Aaron

smithy:

--- Quote from: Specter on March 26, 2024, 08:41:48 AM ---Id like to see the plug on the side of the bike maybe, under the seat area maybe? with maybe like a cover on it like an outside receptacle would have.  That way you don't have to fiddle dick with the seat and that latch to charge it, just plug it right in there.  Possibly use that bit of area under the seat then for a mini storage area. It'd be an awesome place to put a quick tire patch kit and inflation cartridges or very basic small tools.Aaron
--- End quote ---

Like the Experia side panel charge port..?? Although you can't keep anything under the seat and it's a bit of a pain to remove the seat anyway.

Smithy.

SBK74:
latest '24 model Ribelle has the charging port angled, towards the low side of the bike while on the side stand, so that was improved. Would they revise the whole setup of the legacy bikes and invest in new tooling for a charge port on a different location?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version