• May 06, 2024, 01:43:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SRF charging in EU/UK - how many phases?  (Read 472 times)

peterwarm

• View Profile
SRF charging in EU/UK - how many phases?
« on: January 28, 2021, 04:30:42 AM »

At long last I've finished my twin under-seat charging cable, one 13AmpUK plug and one type2 mennakes.  I can now charge at smaller untethered chargers and allow my self to charge when I stay the night with friends via the 13Amp.  A great increase in apparent range. Better still my top box can now fit my helmet and away clothes. see
www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=10365.0
Without this forum, I could not have done it. Thanks to all, particularity Remmie and Hans 123 and Gary amoungst others

I have a premium with rapid charger, so a 3, 3 and 6 kW on the three phases of the type2 plug.  But what I am mystified about is that some chargers rated at 7kW wiil only use one 3kW charger, so charge around 2.5kW. Ok thats single phase I guess.  But The 22kW ones are charging at 8.5 kW, not the 11.6kW I get with the rapid tethered charges. Can anyone explain? 

And of course, back to the 7kW charger, I guess I could swap the connections round in the type 2 plug so the first connection (L1) gets the 6kW charger, not a 3kW?  Is this a crazy idea?

Thanks all.
Nov 2019 Blue SR/F  doesnt like rain - 2 rebuilds now Ok
Windscreen / 12kW Charge
Underseat 13A(UK) and Type2 cables
SRS pegs / keyless rear seat and tank hatch
... fairing......?

reini

• View Profile
Re: SRF charging in EU/UK - how many phases?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 01:51:09 PM »

Which cable are you using? Do your stations have the cable tethered or do you have to bring your own? To fully use the 12 kW on a 22 kW station, you need a 3 phase 32A cable. Sounds like you get around 3x3kW, which would point to you using a 3-phase 16A cable.
Energica SS9+

peterwarm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 04:39:46 PM »

Adding some pictures...
Windscreen / 12kW Charge
... fairing......?

reini

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 07:30:57 PM »

Thanks for the pictures. But actually, it would be interesting to know what your cable is signaling to the station. There is a handshake between the station and the cable/charger, and it looks like they are negotiating 16A instead of 32A.
Energica SS9+

peterwarm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 03:38:06 PM »

My cable has a 220 ohm resistor between PP and earth on each end, rating it at 32A according to my information. The cable is actually rated at less than that, but I'm only going to be drawing 13,13 and 26A for the three chargers, so that's fine.

It does seem that the chargepoint is only giving 16A, that would explain it.
Or the bike says it has cut the charge rate, but it only does that normally near the 90% charge point.

I'm going to go and try another few chargers!

Does your Energetica use a type 2 connection?

Windscreen / 12kW Charge
... fairing......?

reini

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 03:43:49 PM »

Does your Energetica use a type 2 connection?
Yes, but only a single phase and 16A. So I can use a smaller cable than you(https://charge-amps.com/product/charge-amps-beam/), but have to wait up to 6 hours for a full charge on L2 :)
Energica SS9+

peterwarm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 07:41:18 PM »

Interesting.  doesn't say what conductor material or mm2 is, but just 20A, so I guess that's probably copper 1.5mm2. Looks nice.

I'm following remmies lead and using 1.5mm2 with seven cores for type 2 12kW 3p, 3 cores for 13A 1p. The type 2 lead does get warm, its close to its  max rating at 70C, but the cable is a surprising small 10mm dia.  The whole lot weights in at 2kg, but really the important point for me is that it isn't in my topbox, as the rapid charger has stolen my tank storage.

I'm gradually working out charging stations on my normal routes, and here in the south west of the UK am finding that in the main motorway services stations there's far more DC chargepoints than type 2 AC. However, local 22kW and 11kw are all AC type 2.  Whats it like round you?
Windscreen / 12kW Charge
... fairing......?

reini

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 08:38:16 PM »

I'm gradually working out charging stations on my normal routes, and here in the south west of the UK am finding that in the main motorway services stations there's far more DC chargepoints than type 2 AC. However, local 22kW and 11kw are all AC type 2.  Whats it like round you?
<offtopic>
I'm naturally mostly looking for CCS stations and there are plenty around nowadays. They start to appear also away from motorways which I usually don't use (don't even have a toll sticker). The image in the attachment shows only the DC stations.
Car dealers who sell electric cars now start to install public charging stations, which is nice because they are typically not in use when I use them on weekends :)
</offtopic>
I hope you can find another charger for testing your cable, looks really nifty :)
Energica SS9+
Pages: [1]