• May 04, 2024, 02:54:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Still powered after removing key  (Read 3719 times)

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: Still powered after removing key
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 08:53:55 AM »

I know, :) I just think Tesla model of direct customer rather than dealer model would be better. I also know traditional motorcycle dealers and oem don't want to push electric vehicles until they have their own models. Zero is in hard place to be.

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 04:03:03 PM »

It's alive!

The dealer had a session remote session with Zero this morning. After waiting for this to happen for the past 5 weeks they got it up and going in the space of a couple of hours. The bike was running ancient firmware (previous owner had never had it updated) and apparently came back to life after an update. It's now just returned to the original issue where it won't de-power after removing the key. They've removed the ignition so it doesn't look like an electrical fault there but have another session tomorrow morning to look a little further. Progress!
2014 Zero SR

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 08:34:08 PM »

Have they tried disconnecting the Dc to dc  converter?
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 02:59:14 AM »

Phreak - not sure if this helps, but to test for an internal short in the Sevcon DC-DC converter for a 2012XU  (which is what led to my lights staying on)

from Zero techs -
-------
Measure voltage between 3 and 5 with the key off (connector still connected from the back of the wires).
It should be 0 (or very low).  With the key on, it should be pack voltage.
If it has pack voltage in the on position and 0 volts in the off position but the lights stay on, it means the DC DC converter is staying on internally (shorted).
-----

Not sure what converter you've got, but in case it helps...
Peter

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 06:55:51 PM »

Thanks for the pointers peter, Cortezdtv.

Been diagnosed as a faulty MBB. The importer in Australia doesn't keep stock so they're shipping out a replacement.
2014 Zero SR

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 10:13:13 PM »

MBB are one of the most replaced parts. Not having stock is very bad customer service. S, DS and SR would all use the same MBB. I would have expected that part of being granted import rights would also be expected to carry common spare parts for warranty. Especially MBB. BM and MC and motors. Also chargers and dc-dc converters.

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2015, 02:55:41 AM »

Agree, firepower.

Phreak, good luck. My experience with the power staying on problem with our 2012XU was that it was first diagnosed as the MBB, which was replaced and didn't solve the problem. The DC-DC converter was next. Might be worth asking the shop to just check that the DC-DC converter is ok while they wait? Assuming that's possible, that is - maybe someone more knowledgeable on the forum could chime in here?

Peter

BenS

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 11:05:21 AM »

MBB are one of the most replaced parts. Not having stock is very bad customer service. S, DS and SR would all use the same MBB. I would have expected that part of being granted import rights would also be expected to carry common spare parts for warranty. Especially MBB. BM and MC and motors. Also chargers and dc-dc converters.
While I agree, and think it would be great have spare parts at hand, for replacement and diagnosis, here in Oz, for warranty issues, I also think it's understandable that Zero, being a small company, probably don't want excess parts on the other side of the world, especially if they are potentially a "bad" part. Although I hate waiting, I'd rather get an up-to-date part, straight from Zero, for any warranty issues, so that there's less chance of the problem again. Most manufacturers(I work at Holden), these days, operate on a just-in-time business model, so that if there are any part problems, they aren't left with excess, useless stock.
2015 FX 5.7, DIY Electric "Jesse James" chopper bicycle, and DIY Electric 26" Lowrider bicycle. ('10 KTM 530exc, '06 GasGas EC250, '06 YZ450F, '06 GSXR1000.)

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 12:11:17 PM »

100% agree. The number of Zero's getting around Australia would, at my guess, be double figures at best. Keeping spares stock does not make sense. Absolutely no problems waiting for a new part to arrive, waiting 5 weeks for the thing to be looked at though is another story...

Also, peter, correct me if I'm wrong but from reading your posts the 2012XU would keep power to the LV but the motor would still be disabled with the key - this one is keeping power to everything.
2014 Zero SR

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2015, 12:45:01 PM »

Woooot! The new MBB is in and the bike is back in the land of the living. The dealer is running it through a few charge cycles over the next day or two then hopefully all good from here on in. A little worried about potential impact to battery as it's been down for the past 2 months but will see how it checks out when I get it back. All going well, should be able to get stuck into a ride and beginning to de-uglify it this weekend.
2014 Zero SR

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2015, 02:43:05 PM »

I have just been reading through this post and wanted to add a thought.
I am on holiday at the moment and dropped my 2015 SR into mototecnic to be repaired while I was away. Its been 4 weeks and its all fixed they tell me (email). I had a SOC issue related to charging and some other minor stuff.
The US can connect to the bike remotely and change/do stuff. But when we are at work, they are asleep, and the other way round. Some one has to work at 3 am (or there abouts). This could be the hold up.
Also I am a computer programmer and the computer system I worked on could run diagnostics on itself with an incredible level of accuracy. But it cost over $1,000,000. Give Zero time, amazing things will be possible in the future but it costs a lot of money (and time) to develop really smart software.
As for the importer holding spares - I would be happy if they gave us the option to pay extra for the spares to be air freighted "overnight" or pay no extra and wait a week or two.       

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2015, 07:38:40 PM »

Our 8:30am is 3:30pm over on the West coast so still get a decent amount of overlap - it's anything East of Texas thats a PITA. There just seemed to be some serious communication issues in getting the initial session lined up. However there could have been something else I'm not aware of which made things difficult too. It sucked not having the bike for so long, but super happy to be able to start putting some kilometers (/miles if you're that way inclined) on it soon.

+1 of the express parts freight option too. Once the SR is running nicely the car and bike #2 will be off to new homes. After this point, if it does need a need a part, forking out for air freight is more attractive that no bike for up to a month and spending a fortune on Ubers.
2014 Zero SR

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2015, 05:37:45 AM »

F*$)#&$)#&#

Just had a call from Mototecnic. Was about to shoot out and pick up the bike, however during testing this morning the dash has started flashing again. The mechanic is flat out now so doesn't have a chance to look at it until Tuesday. Back to square one.

I've contacted the dealership this was purchased from to begin organising a return if it is not up and going in the next week. I *really* want to like the Zero's, but after 2 months with a dud, not sure how on board I still am.
2014 Zero SR

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2015, 02:05:07 PM »

Finally, some good news. After a remote session with Zero earlier in the week they were able to get everything going. Unsure what the issue was at this point as the guy who deals with the Zero's wasn't there, but have asked for details to satisfy my own curiosity. All parts and labour covered under warranty too which was awesome.

Only downer is after getting home I noticed the ODO was showing 118,174km - it went in with 640km. Unless the bikes been sitting on the dyno continuously for the past few months I'm guessing this is down to the MBB swap out so will have to take it back in to get it all matched back up.

After running through a charge today, I've got to say, it's one addictive machine. After switching it over to sport mode and heading out to a nice twisty stretch of road, I'm fairly sure I've burnt through my adrenaline stores for the next month. I see what you guys mean about the seat as well. That thing gets mega uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:13:55 PM by PhreaK »
2014 Zero SR
Pages: 1 2 [3]