• May 11, 2024, 10:03:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anything I can do with dead 2010 DS?  (Read 2551 times)

Magpie3469

• View Profile
Anything I can do with dead 2010 DS?
« on: July 23, 2015, 10:04:48 PM »

So as I have detailed in other threads, I now am the proud owner of a 2010 GS with dead batteries and a possible controller issue. Does anybody know anything that I can do with it, given that I am NOT able to do things like put in new batteries myself? I would definitely be interested in the thing that people have done with leaf batteries to revive them, but have no way of doing that myself since I am not very mechanical. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I guess it will just go to the junk heap...

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Burton

• View Profile
Re: Anything I can do with dead 2010 DS?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 12:18:16 AM »

3 months before I bought my first motorcycle (4 or 5 years ago) I downloaded the service manual and read it cover to cover a couple times. Then I went online and read the 'wiki' associated with the bike to learn of all issues, how to do things etc.

Previous to this I changed my oil myself once.

I got my bike home and the first thing I did over the course of a week was strip it down to the frame, then systematically clean it, reassemble it, and tune it to spec. I wasn't going to trust any used bike with my life less I set it up. I found myself buying more specialized tools which hadn't been gifted to me and becoming more knowledgeable.

After doing this I realized I can really do anything I put my mind to. (<< that is the lesson here)

If it were me I would do research into leaf transplants, buy a new controller, buy a new BMS (for the leaf cells) and go for it. You have several EV communities you can fall back on for advice. You have the Vetrix guys, the Emoto guys, the endless-sphere crew, and us.

If you can turn a wrench to remove an oil filter, replace an oil filter, and fill up oil to a set level you have the potential to do this IF you really want to learn how to do it. Empower yourself and stand on the shoulders of those around you who want to liberate your mind.

Other than that ... sell it to someone who will convert it to a leaf pack. OR pay someone to convert it to a leaf pack.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:13:13 AM »

Others have replaced the cell pack using Nissan Leaf packs, they have same voltage so BMS and charger will work with them. They also weigh less than original packs and have less voltage sag under load.
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4498.0

Don't junk it, at least sell or offer it free to someone who is willing to upgrade it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:17:05 AM by firepower »

Magpie3469

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 09:53:20 PM »

Thank you both for responding, and for your suggestions.  Burton, I share a lot of your sentiments, and have done many such things in the past.  In fact, the thing that got me excited again about an EV is that I just installed a 9.6kW solar array by myself.  Like you describe, I spent several months researching the feasibility of someone who knew nothing about electrical work doing such a project, and despite being warned off of it by many, found that I could and did do it with only help from the internet.  However, time is limited, and I'm already on to other projects in my "spare" time, so I'm not sure if I am willing/able to commit that kind of attention to this.  You have gotten me thinking about it, though, as doing the project with "just" replacing the batteries with the Leaf ones doesn't sound SO overwhelming.  I had read that thread that Firepower linked to, and I just searched for Leaf batteries, but it looks to me like the supplier that people have gotten them from are out of stock, and I didn't see anyone else selling them.  If anyone knows a way to get a hold of some, please let me know, or if there are other relatively simple fixes with other batteries I'd be interested in that too.  Finally, if someone in Colorado has experience doing this, I'd love to consult with you, and perhaps see if you'd be willing to do it or help me do it.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 10:22:17 PM »

Looks like these guys are out of stock, probably the place that was sourcing modules in the other thread. You might email them and see if they expect to get more modules in soon.
http://hybridautocenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67&Itemid=620

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Magpie3469

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 03:28:36 AM »

I emailed them,  but no response yet.  Found this on ebay,  buy I'm guessing they wouldst woeful with the same bms?

Up for sale is 6 BRAND NEW Li-ion modules manufactured in Japan by LG Chemical for the Leaf EV, Renault, etc. Sold in quantity's of 6- 8VDC modules totaling 48VDC 66AH 3kw. Does not include terminal bolts, connectors and spacers shown in picture, which are optional. Listing is for the 6-modules only. Excellent for the replacement of 48VDC battery systems in golf carts, NEV cars, etc. Can be placed in series for additional voltages and in parallel for additional amperage. Maximum voltage for the 48vdc module is 50.4VDC and minimum is 36VDC. Nominal voltage is about 46VDC. Inexpensive BMS is also available from seller. Contact seller should you have any questions regarding this listing.

Use of a protection system (PCB/BMS) to keep the battery and its pack from over charging and over discharging is recommended

Magpie3469

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 03:43:46 AM »

I got an email back,  and despite what the website says they still do have those modules in stock. Can anybody point me to a video or other Internet resource that would help me understand what I would need to do to replace the batteries with those leaf modules?

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 01:18:04 PM »

Magpie3469

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 10:31:17 PM »

Thanks,  i have read that thread through a couple of times,  but it's still hard for me to get a sense of the project and complexity. I'd  love a brief overview of the steps if anyone knows that,  and especially the more technical aspects, so i can gauge whether i could do it.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 11:38:10 PM »

Basically have to remove the battery, which entails disconnecting everything safely, then lifting game and bike over the battery or drop the battery down out of the frame,
Once you have the battery on a table you have to completely disassemble and then retrofit make brackets probably to hold the new leaf cells then connect all wiring back together accordingly and reassemble the battery then the bike.

It would take a skilled person who is knowledgeable about the platform a few days to complete this, 8hr days,
It can be done faster or slower but it most importantly you need to work at your skill level because you can easily short sensitive electrons or more importantly shock the SHIT out of yourself, and you will have high voltage wires and buss bars that you will have to tighten with a metal wrench, I highly reccomend coating most of your tools will some type of electrical tape or liquid electrical tape.

There are a few good write ups around on how to convert them, read a little more then make your decision
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Magpie3469

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 01:07:55 AM »

Thank you a ton foot that;  it's exactly what i was looking for.  It sounds pretty daunting to me,  buy i forwarded it to someone i know who has worked on ZEV scooters to see what he thinks.

I've searched for writeups and videos about the process,  but can't seem to find any other than the one thread on this forum.  If you can direct me to any other resources,  I'd be grateful.

Did you do this process yourself?  Are you happy with the results?

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 03:33:48 AM »

Only few people have did this so documentation is really scarce. So be sure to take lots of pics for the next one that might try it.

It would take a skilled person who is knowledgeable about the platform a few days to complete this, 8hr days,
It can be done faster or slower but it most importantly you need to work at your skill level because you can easily short sensitive electrons or more importantly shock the SHIT out of yourself, and you will have high voltage wires and buss bars that you will have to tighten with a metal wrench, I highly reccomend coating most of your tools will some type of electrical tape or liquid electrical tape.
I would rather advise to get proper isolated tools for the job, the are not that more expensive.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Magpie3469

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 08:44:21 PM »

Thank you for that.  I will check them out today...

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »

I have seen Ben's Vetrix in person and I think he even had some more leaf cells. He really knows what he is doing. I would definitely reach out to him if you can. I believe I have his email address / business card at home I can message you later if you cannot locate a way to contact him.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9
Pages: [1] 2