• May 05, 2024, 10:37:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero S out of order after maintenance  (Read 1229 times)

Syawedis

• View Profile
Re: Zero S out of order after maintenance
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 07:30:48 AM »

It is possible that irreparable damage was done to the motor. Tesla’s with permanent magnet rotors like ours are not recommended to be towed on flat surfaces past 5mph. Doing so could demagnetize the rotor. 

rogerpiano

• View Profile
Re: Zero S out of order after maintenance (help me)
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 07:39:23 PM »

Update

The bike has been at the dealer for a week and he says it is being worked on and that he awaits the response from the Zero technicians.
If just a week is not enough to understand the problem, I imagine that I will be able to get the bike back in a few months

In the meantime, I publish here the logs of the maintenance he carried out.

I am not able to fully understand them and I hope someone here can help me.
Surely in the final part of the files I notice some not very reassuring messages, and I wondered if the bike could be put back on the road after a maintenance in the presence of those messages.

Please give me a hand to understand what I can do :'(

Auriga

• View Profile
Re: Zero S out of order after maintenance (please help me)
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2021, 01:55:52 AM »

The second set of logs you posted are from the 28th, and do not include the dates you had the issue. My best guess of the isolation fault + temp jump in the motor from your original logs are that the coatings on some of your motor windings have partially worn through.  If that's the case, it'll probably be a couple weeks to get a new motor and a few hours to install it.

I'm assuming that its not the encoder/commissioning process, as that doesn't usually cause isolation faults and should have been apparent before you rode it away.

rogerpiano

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2021, 02:39:51 PM »

The maintenance was done on May 28th, I went home on the 29th and got back on the bike on June 3rd when the problem occurred.

I would also like to think of an unfortunate coincidence of the event but I find it hard to think that nothing happened for two years and immediately after the engine maintenance, as soon as I exceeded about 90 km / h, the problem occurred. Even only from a statistical point of view it would be a really curious coincidence.

I'd like to understand what the last lines of the maintenance logs mean where it seems to me there are anomalies (I am attaching the extract of the logs)

Unfortunately, several solutions are coming to mind if the problem does not resolve itself quickly, including completely abandoning the two wheels.
I would not be able to switch to a petrol bike, I liked my Zero and the dealer promptly offered me to trade it in to buy another one, but the prices offered are beyond all logic.

The disappointment is great
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 02:45:56 PM by rogerpiano »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2021, 02:44:57 PM »

Those dates are... out of sequence.  The corruption was probably from the system crashing after the faults, but ouch.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

rogerpiano

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2021, 11:03:05 PM »

Update

Eventually I had to replace the engine.

It is not clear what happened and whether the failure is related to the commissioning carried out a few days earlier. The dealer's hypothesis is that the engine was defective, but the timing of the breakdown remains very doubtful.

Now the new engine has a one year warranty and I would like to understand how I should adjust for the engine to be put into service at 600 miles, as I have great concern about that.

On the one hand, I think that if I hadn't done the commissioning in May, perhaps nothing would have happened, but then I also think that the problem was perhaps caused by having done it at 8500 km (again because the first dealer was unaware of its existence)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2021, 10:58:31 AM »

I would be rather upset if a repair didn't come with any warranty.

I'm glad you were able to get back on the road!

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2021, 04:57:35 PM »

Now the new engine has a one year warranty and I would like to understand how I should adjust for the engine to be put into service at 600 miles, as I have great concern about that.

It was explained to me that the performance of permanent magnets does vary and may drift out of specification after heat cycling (in-use from use of the motorcycle on rides). The most significant shift occurs in the first 600 miles approx. of use, and after that there is no significant expected shift to occur so then it is preventative maintenance to detect whether there is some bigger problem or failure.

rogerpiano

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 06:59:48 PM »

I would be rather upset if a repair didn't come with any warranty.

I'm glad you were able to get back on the road!

Thanks Crissa. Unfortunately I had to pay for the replacement, even though Zero gave me a discount on the engine.

I would like to understand which hypothesis, in your opinion, is the most likely:

1) Failure to put into service at 600 miles led to engine failure
2) Incorrect dealer commissioning led to engine failure
3) Proper dealer commissioning triggered something that led to engine failure
4) Extreme bad luck

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2021, 07:05:50 PM »

Definitely 4, but my money is on who-touched-it-last.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: 1 [2]