• May 05, 2024, 05:33:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Silly FX charging question  (Read 736 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Silly FX charging question
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2021, 12:55:52 AM »

I think that, instead of calling it the "FXE" (which indicates a brand new bike) they should've just called it the 2022 FXS.
The problem with that is they're still going to make the FXS (with the new dash from the FXE)

And that was silly because it just adds to the confusion, not to mention they now have to keep manufacturing two different sets of bodywork and instruments.  Well, technically they would anyway because a lot of those same parts go into the FX but once that model is replaced they only need to make the parts for damage replacement purposes.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2021, 08:03:05 AM »

If you ask me, in the next 2-3 years we'l see everything that's not based on the SRF tech get replaced with an SRF variant. S/DS/DSR/SR/FX all will get replaced. That reduces the number of parts, updates the screen and app, improves charging, and gives them the greatest return on investment.

I think this is what we were all hoping for with the FXE. Maybe it was just me, but it was a let down.

Yeah, I'm with you there. Zero's pretty small. If the trademark discoveries hold true, then we might see a DSR/X this year. That could be a really neat bike. I question their ability to design more than one completely new bike per year, so maybe its just not time.

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 02:11:08 AM »

Gotta remember too that those cheap chinese chargers don't meet US emissions regulations, and Zero has to meet those as a manufacturer. They had to develop their own 3kW charger with a 3rd party, and it's too big to fit on an FX in the same spot. Plus the J1772 inlet is larger too. So that's a new frame too.

The FX was designed many years ago, and chargers weren't nearly as small and efficient then. If you ask me, in the next 2-3 years we'l see everything that's not based on the SRF tech get replaced with an SRF variant. S/DS/DSR/SR/FX all will get replaced. That reduces the number of parts, updates the screen and app, improves charging, and gives them the greatest return on investment.

Emissions regulations?  Maybe they don't meet UL electrical standards (assuming they apply) but that has nothing to do with emissions. 

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 03:37:51 AM »

Electromagnetic emissions regs. Radio interference etc. etc.

Cas :)

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2021, 03:54:27 AM »

Electromagnetic emissions regs. Radio interference etc. etc.

Cas :)
You got it Cas. For Zero to include anything on their bike, the whole bike has to meet US FCC part 15 and EU regulations for radiated and conducted EM emissions. There's a whole round of expensive multi week testing in a lab with expensive equipment to do that work. Chargers and long cables are notoriously difficult to integrate to meet those requirements, and nobody does it unless they have to. The Chinese chargers simply produce far too much EM noise to add. If it was as simple as buying a bunch of faster chargers on alibaba and integrating them, Zero would have done it, and not developed their own parts with a charger manufacturer for a much larger amount of money.

I once asked one of the Zero engineers why they didn't use the Diginow chargers, and his answer was that it was impossible to add them and meet those requirements.. Chinese parts aren't held to the same standard, and often choose not to meet them to reduce costs. Third party manufacturers have a narrow exemption and aren't held to them either, which is why they can even be sold.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2021, 07:26:57 AM »

Here is the type of stuff new electronic  devices  have to go through. Switching power supply type chargers, as are all EV chargers (AFAIK) but out all types of garbage.

If it were not for this type of stuff, it would interfere with all types of radio stuff down the block.

At my house in Auburn CA when I set up my ham gear, there was so much noise I could not use it. No other real close by houses and this was very strong noise (hams call it "QRN"), so I assumed it was coming somewhere from my own house.

So I got to my CB box and turn off a section of the house at a time.

I get to the garage, and the noise is totally gone, not even a trace.

It was caused by the old version of one of these.

Would anybody like to guess why we cannot buy the older version any more?

-Don-   Cold Springs Valley, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X