• May 06, 2024, 01:05:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Curious about clicking sound  (Read 6960 times)

spelunker

• View Profile
Curious about clicking sound
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 08:55:25 PM »

Actually, I was thinking of doing just this Saturday morning. I have the tools, I just need the time to do it. I think I'll call Zero also. My dealer seems to be pretty clueless in this electric arena.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Curious about clicking sound
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 09:02:22 PM »

Actually, I was thinking of doing just this Saturday morning. I have the tools, I just need the time to do it. I think I'll call Zero also. My dealer seems to be pretty clueless in this electric arena.

I don't blame established IC motorcycle dealers for being clueless about this new technology.  Ideally, Zero should require at least one of the shop's technicians to attend a technical school about how to maintain and service their motorcycles, like BMW and many other IC manufacturers do, when they sign up a retailer.  Unfortunately, that takes a lot of time and money and no doubt the dealer (and maybe Zero) won't want to invest a lot of resources into sending someone to a school like this until Zero sales increase (the old chicken and the egg thing again) at the dealership.

It will take time, but they will learn eventually.  You ought to charge them for the on-the-job training.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

spelunker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2013, 03:59:16 AM »

Actually, I have a good dealer. He sent two of his guys to Zero School. It's just that electronic troubleshooting is so different than mechanical troubleshooting. One thing I do hate though, is it took eight days for Zero to get parts out to my dealer to fix my bike which only took less than two hours.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 03:07:43 AM »

Actually, I have a good dealer. He sent two of his guys to Zero School. It's just that electronic troubleshooting is so different than mechanical troubleshooting. One thing I do hate though, is it took eight days for Zero to get parts out to my dealer to fix my bike which only took less than two hours.

That's nothing, my replacement swinging arm took a month.  But its not unusual, i had a similar wait for parts from Honda a few years ago.

Nukie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 06:21:11 AM »

I am experiencing a similar problem. Had the bike about a month. I hear the noise only when stopping, at a low speed right before a complete stop. Sounds like it is coming from near the motor. It's a metallic clicking noise and seems to have gotten louder over a short period of time. Could this be the key issue? Or has anyone learned anything new about this. I will be calling my dealer and having them look at it and it would be helpful to give them some idea of what the problem might be. Sounds like I should stop riding the bike in the meantime.

I LOVE this bike!  ;D
"Life is locomotion. If you're not moving, you're not living." – The Flash

spelunker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 08:44:34 AM »

My dealer told me that the wrong sized key was moving in the slot, thus creating the clicking sound, and possibly causing premature wear. He recommended that I stop riding the bike until the repair was made.

Interesting thing… the front sprocket and key were both replaced, but the clicking really didn't go away completely. So, I got an automotive stethoscope and determined that the sound was loudest at the point of the motor casing where the output shaft exits. Maybe a bad bearing?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:47:26 AM by spelunker »

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2013, 01:49:52 PM »

Hi ! Do you know which models & serials numbers are involved by this issue ?

spelunker

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2013, 05:45:34 AM »

I can't answer as to what serial numbers are involved, but I can say they fixed mine promptly. You might check to see if the set screw is loose. After they replaced my key (and front sprocket), my clicking returned fairly quickly. It tuned out that the screw worked out a little and the clicking was caused by the washer. All the mechanic had to do was tighten it after putting some lock-tight on it. It hasn't been a problem since.

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »

Thanks a lot !

Can you send a picture of what should be loose and how to test for it ? I tried to move the belt or the wheel, but I did not feel any loose ?
COuld you also give us your serial or at least your bluetooth id (looks like the number is your bike's production order nr) ? Best,

TargeT

• $.58 a kWh... and I ride electric?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 07:17:25 PM »

there's nothing you can really check with out pulling the bike apart a bit, apparently "early" 2013 bikes had the issue a lot (mine was an early one)

is your bike clicking? if so just call the dealer!
I wonder where I can charge my batteries from at work...

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 09:50:44 PM »

Well I dont know if it is the "click". I sometimes have a noise a bit like gravel in drying machine. I does not happen when the bike is cold, only a bit later. And not at lower speeds...

V

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 02:37:36 AM »

The noise I heard WAS the click. I checked with my dealer. He explained me it's very simple to fix, and no part has to be changed... I'll do this saturday.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 03:14:03 PM »

That's interesting ! Could you give us some more details about the procedure or maybe take some pictures when you do the repair ?
Have a good week end !
Laurent

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2013, 12:10:38 AM »

Very simple procedure : in fact, it appears that the click sound is NOT linked to a wrong sized piece, and is solved quickly by putting some loctite. Have it done before you leave the dealership

V

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 09:24:01 PM »

Thanks a lot !!! Indeed I will check that when I have the bike in my garage. Right now I have all the paper I'm just waiting for the reply of one assurance compagny (the "MACIF" in France) to get the best deal and then I will take delivery. I'm a little exited !!!
There are several loctite products: one can be used on the retaining screw (like the Loctite 243) and another one will be used on the electric motor axle (like the loctite 638)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5