• May 04, 2024, 01:57:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Anderson connector extention  (Read 1847 times)

Martin

• View Profile
Anderson connector extention
« on: September 10, 2015, 03:58:22 AM »

Anyone know of or make an Anderson connector extension for easy of access for the faster charger?

2014 SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Anderson connector extention
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 05:22:26 AM »

I see what you mean; a permanently installed extension that led out to somewhere accessible would save some hassle hooking up a charger. Count me curious; a web search didn't turn up anything obvious.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 06:17:14 AM »

Working on building one unless someone has some input, I'll let you know how it turns out if I can figure out the requirements.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:28:15 AM by Martin »

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 01:00:58 AM »

Anyone know of or make an Anderson connector extension for easy of access for the faster charger?

2014 SR

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=196

I have mine zip-tied in place on the Givi mount, for touring with the pair of ElCons that replace the Givi bags for longer trips...  I'm sure you could make a single extension for a bit less than Zero's $250 for the Y-cable!
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 05:39:32 AM »

I have mine zip-tied in place on the Givi mount, for touring with the pair of ElCons that replace the Givi bags for longer trips...  I'm sure you could make a single extension for a bit less than Zero's $250 for the Y-cable!

That is a nice arrangement. I've tucked my single Elcon into a Givi E21 and a custom cable for NEMA 14-50 and J1772 inputs into the other. I'll make a decision about the splitter or an extension if it turns out to be inconvenient.

I wonder whether the splitter would allow a permanently-installed CHAdeMO plug and Elcon to co-exist easily. Naturally, I wouldn't be able to use both concurrently [and I'm still wondering about the DC input limit on the 2013].

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 02:33:36 AM »

I've installed the splitter, using a zip tie to ensure it curves away from the rear shock absorber and the passenger peg holds it steady for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 12:39:44 AM »

I found the perfectly-sized bungee cord to hold the plug ends in place while I ride, and then loosen for charging. It's a nice setup now, not having to reach behind the motor and the DS rear suspension spring!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 12:45:40 AM »

I've installed the splitter, using a zip tie to ensure it curves away from the rear shock absorber and the passenger peg holds it steady for now.

So, a word from the fool here: don't do this, or at least remember to take it out before going through a downpour.

Reason: the splitter is energized at least in the pins, and if even a bit of water sneaks past the rubber boot and rest in that area and cause intermittent shorts on the signal circuit, causing the system (BMS, I'm inferring) to shut down to protect itself. I experienced this recently after riding through a downpour, where every time I made a complete stop, the bike would cut out. Pulling out the splitter fixed the issue. Light rain did not cause this, though, so the risk profile is sneaky.

Related: I am very much looking forward to a SuperCharger, and possibly a newer Zero where the Anderson port is more accessible than on the 13.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 01:49:37 AM »

I had a similar thing happen to me right after washing my '14 SR once. It thought the charger was on and wouldn't "start" the bike. In retrospect, I'm pretty sure it was exactly what you're saying, a leakage path between the signal pins on the Anderson connector, which is stock on my bike. The light on the dash indicated the charger was on, though the power cable wasn't in place. It ran fine once it dried out and has been running great ever since....but I don't wash the bike any more. I use a waterless wash product, which also feels right because of California's water situation.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 02:51:46 AM »

I used a sponge to wipe down mine in the winter, but to be fair, it was indoors, so there would have been other problems using a hose.  I was advised that the Zero's connectors are particularly reactive to the road salt in the Northeast.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 07:38:24 AM »

In a related question, does anyone know the model or name of the anderson connector to plug into the zero?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 08:59:12 AM »

In a related question, does anyone know the model or name of the anderson connector to plug into the zero?

SB 75x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]