• May 08, 2024, 06:53:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: 200 miles highway range?? Who's interested?  (Read 6946 times)

madcow

• View Profile
Re: 200 miles highway range?? Who's interested?
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »

BMW will release a long range version of it's electric scooter C-Evolution that features a 12 kWh battery and thus should have similar range as our Zeros. Comes with integrated 3kW charging and a battery temperature management if I'm not mistaken.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2017, 07:05:39 PM »

BMW will release a long range version of it's electric scooter C-Evolution that features a 12 kWh battery and thus should have similar range as our Zeros. Comes with integrated 3kW charging and a battery temperature management if I'm not mistaken.

The 12kWh LR C-Evolution is touted to have a range of 99 miles ... that isn't acceptable. My current zero can do that and it still has a MY13 battery ;)

The LRC-X with a smaller pack somehow manages to get 185mi, actual miles tested on the road, at 55mph and 100mi at 70mph ... they are the closest to the 200 mile mark right now. The zev's bikes are really long ... you would have to extend your S / DS 13" in the rear to get the same wheel base; it also sits 6" off the ground. Couple this with a full fairing, hub motor, low seating and it seems to be a winning combination. 

For those wondering FX modules CANNOT fit on an ZEV LRC ... the battery box is too narrow. I have several bikes / scooters in a file scaled to the same size including different batteries (both tesla' packs, the fx modules, monolith etc) ... this includes bikes like the burgman and tmax so I can tell what will work and what is likely fantasy.

On a side note I don't know if a stock LRC-X could ever do an ironbutt without modification. You would have to stop to charge at least 9 times but more likely you wouldn't stop every 100 miles (which is max at 70mph) but every 60 miles to charge. This means stopping 16 times to charge for 36 minutes, round to 45 if we include setup etc so we are looking at 12 hours of "charging" and 14.28 hours of riding :/

If the bike had even better aerodynamics, a larger pack than it does now, you rewound the motor to be more efficient at higher speeds, or you chose to charge above 1C you could just make it (they use batteries which can charge at a max of 3C). Ironbutts on electrics seem to be about higher averages speeds, longer ranges, and higher charging rates if you want to come in under 24 hours with the current battery technologies ...

On far off side note ... I would love to see Cycle Analyst outputs which include gps data graphed out for EV manufactures who publish "max range at X speed" claims ... it would go a long way to proving their claims :D
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2017, 01:11:47 AM »

The trailer is a pretty reasonable option to be honest!  I have towed beer and a Honda Eui2000.  This particular trailer(trail tail) handles it beautifully.  Mind you great care was taken to align the wheels up.  I got those measurements when you need them:)

Hey, yeah, can I get those measurements?
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2017, 10:22:49 AM »

The trailer is a pretty reasonable option to be honest!  I have towed beer and a Honda Eui2000.  This particular trailer(trail tail) handles it beautifully.  Mind you great care was taken to align the wheels up.  I got those measurements when you need them:)

Hey, yeah, can I get those measurements?

The Trail tail is for the most part symmetrical, but with the gearing(I assume) spacers are used to line up the wheels.  One spacer is 1 1/32 inches or 27mm.  The other is 5/16 inch or 8mm.

Pic of my backup spacers on a zip tie.  (Apologies for the poor lighting and shadows)

*moderator edit* add width to img tag
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:10:41 AM by Shadow »

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2017, 07:22:26 AM »

Thanks!  So basically the Kawasaki version fits except for the
length of the bar going though the axle?  You just added the spacer?

I'm thinking of getting the naked steel part, making an aero tail with a
proper taper to continue the line I set with the tail I'm making for the
motorcycle.

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »

Thanks!  So basically the Kawasaki version fits except for the
length of the bar going though the axle?  You just added the spacer?

I'm thinking of getting the naked steel part, making an aero tail with a
proper taper to continue the line I set with the tail I'm making for the
motorcycle.
I assume, is the Kawasaki narrower?  These are the hollow spacers between the trailer arms and the bike.  I assume that is the main variation between bikes.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2017, 10:41:41 PM »

> ... I assume, is the Kawasaki narrower?  ...

No idea.  The only mounting kit I saw was:

https://trailtail.com/product/kawasaki-klr-650-mounting-kit/

Aikirob

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2018, 04:08:07 PM »

definitely interested in extra range and would be willing to pay $1000 AUD for it, but probably no more then that, I've seen other ideas thrown around but in a price range of $4000+ AUD, which is way more then I'm willing to pay for batteries, I would like to potentially double my range on my bike by adding aerodynamic fairings and extra batteries, but being able to pay for that has been a problem and I've yet to try to build a fairing because I haven't been able to think of a way to mount it  securely enough yet.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]