• May 14, 2024, 12:23:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best place to get a j1772 adapter  (Read 4983 times)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Re: Best place to get a j1772 adapter
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 07:58:13 AM »

BikerJared, dgh853,

What aaronzero means is that you are not going to be able to charge at any GE Wattstation or PEP station.The GE Wattstations and PEP require communication with the BMS before they will deliver power. All other systems once it detects the pilot signal will then deliver power to your bms.

To date those are the only brands of J1772 charger that I have not been able to charge at. When you look on Plugshare it should say what kind of system it is although sometimes you need to look at the photos to tell.

clockfort

• 2015 Zero SR; Silicon Valley USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 01:33:45 PM »

I grabbed two of harlan's programmed elcon's and made my own j1772 with a used inlet from a smart car from EVWest ( http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=355 ) (the inlet was only $48, and is only trivially more with some connectors / resistors / diodes / wires)

Got it working like a charm :-)

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 06:28:13 AM »

If I wire this wrong, is there a chance I fry my onboard charger?
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 10:06:16 PM »

made my own j1772 with a used inlet from a smart car from EVWest ( http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=355 ) (the inlet was only $48, and is only trivially more with some connectors / resistors / diodes / wires)

Would you be able to post more details on how you built the adapter, ie. what connectors / resistors / diodes / wires you used? Looking to do something similar.

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 10:36:57 PM »

made my own j1772 with a used inlet from a smart car from EVWest ( http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=355 ) (the inlet was only $48, and is only trivially more with some connectors / resistors / diodes / wires)

Would you be able to post more details on how you built the adapter, ie. what connectors / resistors / diodes / wires you used? Looking to do something similar.
Or, more explicitly, is this a replacement option for the $400 part from Hollywood?

Cheers
--G

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 11:53:39 PM »

Or, more explicitly, is this a replacement option for the $400 part from Hollywood?

You read my mind... I don't mind doing a bit of soldering to save $300+

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 07:27:38 PM »

Aaron,

Can you explain what is involved in the vehicle authenticating itself by J1772. I'm not aware of anything in the J1772 standard that requires authentication including vehicle details.

Thanks,
David

My understanding is that the negotiation protocol looks like this:

1. J1772 plug inserted into inlet with latch depressed. EV provides 2.7 k ohm resistance on proximity pin and 2.74 k ohm resistance on pilot pin behind diode (EV ready). EV reads 3V on proximity pin.
2. J1772 plug latch released. EV reads 1.5V on proximity pin.
3. EVSE provides 1 kHz control pilot signal on pilot pin; duty cycle indicates maximum current available.
4. EV configures its onboard charger to limit maximum current and provides total 884 ohm resistance on pilot pin behind diode (EV ready; charge begin).
5. EVSE supplies power to AC pins and charging begins.

Schematic
More details (PDF p11-18)

My guess is that passive J1772 inlets, including Zero's, only provide 884 ohm resistance on pilot pin. Some EVSEs may refuse to supply power on AC pins if they detect that the vehicle is in a "charge acceptance" state prior to proximity latch or the EVSE indicating maximum current available.

There are several adapters that will handle the control pilot signal. Note that they ignore the maximum current advertised by the J1772 EVSE, which can cause an overcurrent error (best case) or damage the connector / cable / EVSE (or cause a fire, worst case).

TucsonEV sells an inlet adapter that has a manual switch for setting EV charging.

EVwest sells an AV2 module that provides the proper resistance on both control pilot and proximity pins, and provides both normally open and normally closed relays that can be used to initiate charging. (instructions)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:31:14 PM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »

TucsonEV sells an inlet adapter that has a manual switch for setting EV charging.

Hmm, this is a tempting option vs building my own. I think I would go with the remote pilot box version for simplicity of mounting / packing.

clockfort

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 10:20:52 AM »

This is before I cleaned it up and put it in a project-box that I can mount as a side-luggage-thing that I can use on long trips.

http://imgur.com/a/mWxYf

I ended up not putting a switch in front of the onboard charger, as well, as I believe this will not work (need to open charging contactor?). The intention of the switches is that you can use them to manually configure the charging to whatever amperage the charger you find in the wild supports, without opening up the box and rewiring.

All the wires for the low voltage / low current J1772 stuff are some dinky gauge, all of the stuff that needs to push 10.5A is beefier wires.

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 08:17:08 PM »

This is before I cleaned it up and put it in a project-box that I can mount as a side-luggage-thing that I can use on long trips.

Thanks clockfort. Looks a little over my head actually :)

Can anyone confirm that the TucsonEV solution will work with the Zero onboard + DeltaQ or Elcon chargers?

clockfort

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 10:33:36 AM »

Hah, sorry. For the ~$350 price delta between Harlan's connector and my solution, you could probably find an electrical engineering / nerd friend to do it. (Might have to dig into the price delta a bit with some beers to convince said friend though)

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2015, 10:46:02 PM »

So, almost 2 months after deciding to go ahead I finally received the TucsonEV J1772 adapter with remote pilot box. I had emailed back and forth with the owner, Rush, who assured me it would work with the Zero and that other Zero owners were using it successfully.

I sent him payment via Paypal in early July and it was supposed to be sent to the hotel I was staying at in Colorado about 10 days later. I got to the hotel, no package :/  I tried emailing Rush a few times over the next few weeks, no reply. Finally I heard back from him, he had some medical issues but is feeling better now. He shipped it to my PO box in Niagara Falls, NY and I went to pick it up this morning. Unfortunately I had to pay $30 cdn tax/duty which I wouldn't have had to if bringing it home from CO (was out of Canada for a week), but oh well. Glad Rush is feeling better.

The unit looks very well built. I'm now thinking about ways to mount it permanently on the bike, maybe with a plate hanging from the rear area, underneath the luggage rack and tuck the cable under the seat?

I haven't been able to test it yet as it comes without a plug, so I guess my next stop will be Home Depot to get one. It will just be a single plug for now since I don't have an extra charger right now. I'm thinking about getting one in the future now that I've sold my BMW gas bike. The damn thing wasn't getting ridden since I brought the Zero and I couldn't justify the huge insurance cost ($1200/year) for one or two long road trips per year. I bought a much cheaper to purchase, insure and maintain Suzuki V-Strom for that purpose instead.

Not really related to the story, but I did toy with the idea of riding the Zero to Niagara Falls. It is about 180km round trip taking the freeway, probably longer via backroads. I decided I would be pushing my luck without any fast charging capability. I took the V-Strom instead, which is a dream on the freeway IMO. I needed to put some KMs on it anyway so I can get its 1000km service done before my week long trip to NYC in early October :)

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2015, 12:14:04 AM »

Found a 5-15R plug in my parts bin. Hooked it up to the J1772 adapter, plugged in the bike and EVSE, switched the pilot switch on, and prayed to Jebus. It works!

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2015, 10:08:10 PM »

Went for a bit of a ride this morning, just over an hour. Was at 55% when I got home.

I was curious whether the bike would charge any faster (with the standard onboard charger) at 240V vs my regular 120v wall outlet. The website for Zeros own adapter says it does not. Based on the data from the bike it does; peak charging watts using 240V is 1470 vs 1260. Amps 14 vs 12. Estimated time to full charge also was about 25% lower.

jheth

• View Profile
Best place to get a j1772 adapter
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 01:51:04 AM »

Anybody live in south SF Bay Area that has a J1772 adapter (from Zero or homemade) that I could borrow to try charging my Zero using the L2 charger at work. If successful, I might build/buy my own. Send me a PM or reply here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 [2] 3