• May 05, 2024, 06:23:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hacking the throttle line ( allow full power all the time)  (Read 4412 times)

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Re: Hacking the throttle line ( allow full power all the time)
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »

That's a 2011 right? you know there is a throttle curve in the controller, then a filter on top of that in the mbb.

I am not quite sure, but I think what you are doing could cause you to have the chance of your bike powering up at full throttle and flying away.

I would love to know how this works for you.

Yes it's a 2011.

No danger, the switch is added in parallel with the wire that connect in serie with the "filter" ( mmb) so if the magutra ( throttle grip) is not twisted, than teh resistance remain near zero ohm so the controller is not sending any current to the motor.

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 11:24:46 AM »

Doctorbass,

I'm not sure why you would prefer doing it this way rather than just adjusting the throttle curve in the MBB.  The Zero MBB does much to improve the quality of the ride by filtering the throttle sensitivity and giving it torque control rather than speed control.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 08:34:48 PM »

Harlan is correct here, just reprogram the throttle curve or get someone who can do that for you. It's all software these days baby  :)

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 10:09:37 PM »

I am not sure that the throttle map is well understod.. maybe it's me.. but if i go wide open throttle from a dead start, trhe acceleration will be the same if the curve is linear, progressive or S shape.. or even.. not a curve but an horizontal line at 100% for all throttle position...
In other words, I think that the map is not related to the motor rpm on the X axis.. or to the speed on x axis.

it's just a throttle X to throttle graph Y meaning what throttle signal is applied for what throttle position on the grip...

In the graph you could have just a horizontal line set at 100% value on Y  for all 0 to 100% X value and it would change nothing about the axeleration you get if you  go wide open throttle from a dead start.

I have to test and get the truth about that.

Doc

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »

Doctorbass,

You're trying to adjust the throttle curve in the Alltrax which will do little to change the performance.  You need to adjust the parameters that are in the MBB, that black box that Zero is filtering the throttle through.

The Alltrax does not give very nice throttle performance out of the box.  The MBB smooths out the throttle and gives it more of a throttle feel as opposed to an off/on feel like the Alltrax does by default.  If the Alltrax performed well in this application, you wouldn't have a company like Picoamps selling their Torque Control Modules for 129 Euros:

http://www.automotive.picoamps.de/en/products_more_en.htm

So I understand what you are trying to do, but this hardware hack is not the right solution IMHO.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 03:14:29 AM »

Doctorbass,

You're trying to adjust the throttle curve in the Alltrax which will do little to change the performance.  You need to adjust the parameters that are in the MBB, that black box that Zero is filtering the throttle through.

The Alltrax does not give very nice throttle performance out of the box.  The MBB smooths out the throttle and gives it more of a throttle feel as opposed to an off/on feel like the Alltrax does by default.  If the Alltrax performed well in this application, you wouldn't have a company like Picoamps selling their Torque Control Modules for 129 Euros:

http://www.automotive.picoamps.de/en/products_more_en.htm

So I understand what you are trying to do, but this hardware hack is not the right solution IMHO.

Harlan, The throttle curve will no more be filtered by the MBB. It will be optimized by the Cycle Analyst V3.0 that i installed on the zero. I will only keep the filtered part of the signal for the protection feature of the Mbb is providing to not damage the battery, motor or any other safety/protection that are actually enabled on the stock zero.

That pico amp is really nice device, but there is also alot of great device developped by the overvolted electric bicycle lovers!

Doc

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 05:30:29 AM »

How have your results been with this project so far?

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 09:37:26 AM »

How have your results been with this project so far?

Yeah.. Pimping my zero.. that's what i'm doing guys ;)

It's what's  on the list ;)

-Adding a 15 pin Anderson connection to have an easy acces to fast balance the pack at up to 30A: check
-Adding  celllog8 to monitor voltages  for each individual 14 cells string: check
-Adding a 75A Anderson connector to charge the battery FAST:   check
-Adding  6 additional fused 12V connections  from teh DC-DC output for future purpose: check
-Adding the Cycle analyst V3.0: check
-Adding an easy acces RS232-USB cable to program the Alltrax easy without dissassembling the bottom assembly: check
-Adding the throttle line bypass: IN PROCESS    ;)
-Adding a cruise control: pending

Doc

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 08:22:56 PM »

OK  Yesterday with the Cycle Analyst connected and being able to monitor the real time power. I can confirm that the throttle curve of the zero motorcycle power management IS determining the max amount of current that can be delivered  to the motor according to the speed of the motor.

That's probably why they added the shunt on the the motor wire. The Alltrax controller itself IS NOT a CURRENT BASED THROTTLE since it it not made for reading on the  motor speed. But The MBB of the zero is made to convert it to a current based throttle by overiding the signal on the throttle line according to the speed the motor is and the current reading on the motor.

Also At full speed  on flat no wind ( 108km/h) my zero is drawing 12kW and the max current i measured with the not perfectly calibrated shunt is 362A and the battery voltage sag is 6V ( battery was at 56V no load and drop to 50V, wich eman the total internal resistance of the battery including contactor and wiring IS close to  6V/362A = 16 miliohms.

More interresting real life measurement to come ;)

doc

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 01:38:20 AM »

Please post a video of how it performing in action. Would love to see and hear your results.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 01:45:42 AM »

Also At full speed  on flat no wind ( 108km/h)

You should be able to make it go faster, how much do you weigh.

I have my Zero setup through the MBB to average 120km/h (75mph) on flat rd with normal wind conditions, around 112km/h (75mph) on pretty decent uphills, and on flat Rd with a little tail wind, I have hit 133km/h (83mph). Downhill, I have gotten to 142km/h ( 88mph ).

I cant wait to put fairings back on foxy and test her out with the new stuff I have done. I have also lost some weight, so I bet I can go a smidge faster now :)

Looking forward to seeing more of what you are doing.
Pages: 1 [2]