• May 07, 2024, 08:52:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bike alarm for zero  (Read 1355 times)

xsi3rr4x

• View Profile
Bike alarm for zero
« on: March 09, 2016, 07:32:47 PM »

Hey guys, my new DSR is coming in early next week, as my excitement grows I am doing some research on some alarms that I can use for the bike being that I want to use the bike as a commuter to work and I work inside of a mall. I have been looking at these two way pager systems, but most of them seem to want to be wired to a battery. From what I understand the Zero bikes do have an accessory outlet of some sorts where you can get 12 volt power from, but would that work with these kind of alarm systems?
The particular system that I have my eye on is this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-9100-Motorcycle-Paging/dp/B00J3QM4OC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1457529762&sr=1-1&keywords=gorilla+motorcycle+alarm

I would like to have something that would page me or let me know through an app if the bike is being tampered with and such. If that wont work out for me I assume my next best option would be a disc lock system with an alarm, but of course that wont give me any notification that its being tampered with if I'm at work or away from the bike.

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Bike alarm for zero
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:59:19 PM »

Yes, the Zeros have a 12V DC-DC converter that you can use for accessories. Unfortunately, it only runs when the bike's keyed on, so you don't have power continuously unless you arrange for an auxiliary battery for the alarm or something...which could be done, but it would be a bit of a project. Doctorbass figured out how to turn on the DC-DC converter when he wants, but of course then you'd be draining the main battery whenever you leave it running.

I went for the disc lock myself. Granted, I don't leave it parked at a mall very often, but in a very public place like that, an alarm should be pretty effective at scaring off thieves. In fact, I think mostly the thieves would see the disc lock and go pick an easier target.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 05:07:34 AM »

You can buy 14V lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery that are compatible with car/bike. (they are starting to replace lead acid as main battery)
You can wire one across your DC-DC output to keep alarm active when bike powered off.
You can buy at RC hobby stores or online from Hobby King http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__218__85__Batteries_Accessories-LiFePo4.html
two of these wire in series would be OK
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14466__Zippy_Flightmax_1100mAh_6_6v_LiFePo4_2S1P_Receiver_Pack.html
Batteries they have working range of 12V to 14.6V (4 cells in series 4S)

Cell voltage
Min. discharge voltage = 2.5V
Working voltage = 3.0 ~ 3.3 V
Max. charge voltage = 3.65V
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 06:12:30 AM by firepower »

LeftieBiker

• 42 Years of Motorcycling - 13 years with EVs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 05:35:38 AM »

I have a couple of the old-style license plate style alarms that mount under the plate, and are powered by a 9V battery. If I can get one to work at the extreme angle on the Zero, I'll use that.
EV Ownership:

2001 Oxygen Lepton
2008 X-Treme XM-3000
2011 ZEV 5000LA
2015 Zero SR
Too many electric bicycles to list, mostly EZIP
Pages: [1]