• May 04, 2024, 10:26:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tesla Supercharger DC - compatible with Zero? Is an adapter possible?  (Read 5179 times)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Tesla Supercharger DC - compatible with Zero? Is an adapter possible?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 09:09:14 AM »

Possible, yes. Reasonable or likely, no. Expensive, low volume, and likely to be shutdown by Tesla if attempted.

The CHAdeMO charging station to Model S inlet adapter has been "Coming Soon" since last year.

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/chademo-adapter
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 09:47:55 AM »

Possible, yes. Reasonable or likely, no. Expensive, low volume, and likely to be shutdown by Tesla if attempted.

The CHAdeMO charging station to Model S inlet adapter has been "Coming Soon" since last year.

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/chademo-adapter

I see, now that Tesla has "open" their patents reverse engineering the adapter might be possible but letting us charge at their stations might be another story :-\

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »

I see, now that Tesla has "open" their patents reverse engineering the adapter might be possible but letting us charge at their stations might be another story :-\

Even before Tesla open-sourced their patents, they'd said that they were happy to talk with other mfrs about using the supercharger stations, provided the other mfrs bore some of the financial burden of building, maintaining and powering the supercharger stations. Presumably that would also be contingent on Tesla verifying the other mfr's equipment performed properly and wouldn't damage anything.

That's a far cry from saying they'd welcome you or me to use our home-brewed equipment on their station.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 10:47:39 AM »

Here are the specs: seems to be within zero voltage specs.

Supercharger 120Kw, 2Vehicles, North America
Input voltage : 480V AC
Input current : 160 A
Phases ; 3Ph + N +  GND

output voltage : 50-410V DC
output current : 210 Amp Max continuous

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 08:48:18 PM »

output voltage : 50-410V DC
output current : 210 Amp Max continuous

That's very encouraging. But I've been thinking a lot about fast-charging options, and I don't think the superchargers would be a very good solution. Tesla's putting them too far apart, and too far away from cities, at least here in the States. They've designed their network to make it possible for vehicles with 200+ mile range to make long trips, and that's not going to work for us. Maybe in 5-10 years their distribution density will reach the point where it works for us, but maybe not even then....they just don't need them that close together.

It's extremely disappointing to me that CHAdeMO isn't working out for us...there are a lot of those things near me, and I could get all around southern California if they worked. But in the absence of that technology working, it seems like the best option may be J1772. I'm anxiously awaiting Brandon's charge tank solution becoming available.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.
Pages: 1 [2]