• May 06, 2024, 09:15:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Brake Drag-reducing Springs?  (Read 797 times)

Kocho

• View Profile
Brake Drag-reducing Springs?
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:38:04 AM »

Does anyone know if there are drag reducing springs available for the Zero front brakes? I have a set installed on my car and they do a good job keeping the brake pads away from the rotors when the brakes are not used. I'd like to install something like that on my SR as the front brakes are ever so slightly dragging ...

Something like these, but made for the size of motorcycle brakes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5PII1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
'15 Zero SR

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Drag-reducing Springs?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:00:10 PM »

I've seen anti-squealing spring clips that push against the pad edges to reduce rattling/vibrating, but nothing that pushes side-to-side to retract the piston(s) - they could be out there in motorcycle sizes, though.  The bicycle guys are fanatics about drag, they might have something that would work.

If you want to reduce pad drag, you might want to try a caliper service.  I just did mine at @ 3.5K miles, and the J Juan 25mm rear - which worked poorly and had significant drag - was awful; both sliding pins were bone-dry and one was rusty, and the piston was nearly impossible to move by hand.  The Nissin front was much better, with greasy pins & pistons that moved pretty easily, and barely any rotor drag.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 08:35:48 PM »

A properly setup brake should pull the pads back just a little bit when you release. A good servicing including cleaning of the pistons and perhaps replacement of the seals may help.

Getting brakes to work well can be a Zen thing though. I remember one race meeting where I spent most of a weekend trying to sort out binding issues that had me on the deck many times as I dropped into a corner to find the front brake was still on a bit.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 12:11:32 PM »

Any luck on this?  Did you get it resolved?
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 08:38:42 PM »

I agree 100% with the comments about regular caliper maintenance.  You want to do this often  and since it's so easy to do there is no reason not too.  Make sure your pins are smooth and shiny.  If there is some corrosion then sand them smooth with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and then wet sand with 1000 grit.

You also want to clean and relube all of the contact points between the brake pad and caliper since the old lube can get pretty sticky over time.  Use a silicone grease to lube the pins and contact points.  Make sure you don't get any grease on the brake pad surface.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)
Pages: [1]