• May 04, 2024, 02:01:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Batteries last longer if charged on a traditional charging station?  (Read 983 times)

BamBam

• View Profile
Re: Batteries last longer if charged on a traditional charging station?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 01:43:21 AM »

All excellent points, but what about the (configurable?) charging system described in this thread which the OP claims is exactly like the Elcon HK-J-H132-32, 3.3KW UHF CAN bus charger and which can be had for under $1,000.  Is this the real deal or just fake news?  If this is the wrong place to post this topic, please kindly let me know.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=8087.0

Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 08:58:12 AM »

This is off-topic for sure.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 11:17:35 PM »

I am going to try and address several comments.
As Far as Tesla saying that using Supercharger is better:
Not sure if this is still the case, opinions seem to change but,
Tesla would begin to limit the speed of the Supercharger after
a number of sessions. The claim was that it was for battery life.
I believe that All " Native " Tesla charging is DC.
From Las Year:

https://electrek.co/2017/05/07/tesla-limits-supercharging-speed-number-charges/

Nissan has also come under fire for slowing charge rate after the first or second
fast charge on a trip. Their claim, again is because of battery heat generation.
Nissan Leaf uses passive cooling until the 2019 Model

As far as trickle vs fast, while all charging and discharging creates heat,
I believe that the longer slow charge sessions create less heat. This is
and has been the belief for as long as I can rember for all battery charging,
not just for EVs. I live in Las Vegas where ( on average ) the temperature is above
100 degrees more than 20% of the year, with the average high temperature closer
to 110 from May through September. This year, it was 113 degrees on the last day of spring.
I have been driving / riding EVs for more than a decade. I also run my house on
Solar and Batteries ( Big Lead Acid batteries ), and I have never noticed any heat related battery issues
I got my 2013 FX at about a year old. Maximum battery level was generally 95% at the time.
I could coax it to 100% but the return was negligible so didn't do it often. Today, it is still 90%~95%
on a full charge. Most if it's life it has charged from the onboard 650 watt charger with addition
of a Quik or Elcon charge now and then.

As far as " Value ", I don't think that anyone is disputing the Value of the SuperCharger,
just wishing that it was less expensive. There are always "options" for DIY, but, Brandon has put
the time effort and energy into making this as much of a plug and play as possible.
You are not just paying for the parts, but his time as well.

Regeneration, as mentioned, is a " fast(er) charge of a shorter duration. In most everyday
situations, you are not in a situation where this becomes an issue. Harlan told me years back
that they did not use regeneration on the race bikes. I believe that heat was one of the reasons.
Lastly, I agree.
Just Ride It

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 04:38:01 AM »

I'm still hoping to read an expert's comments on coasting regen, which may last for just a few seconds as you coast in slowing traffic, or can go on for many minutes in the mountains, but in either case typically is low power and thus, based on other info from experts on this thread, seems to be harmful to battery longevity. 

In other words, if you don't need the absolute maximum range on each charge, the best option for battery longevity may be to to set up the custom option with zero % coasting regen and brake as necessary (high power regen while braking). FWIW, that would also help keep tailgaters at bay in stop and go traffic, and the hypermilers can do the pulse coast thing with extra satisfaction that they are prolonging battery life.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:29:33 AM by heroto »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 12:18:27 PM »

I use 0% coasting regen and 100% braking regen, as do many on here, for efficiency. Occasionally I set coasting regen to 20% or 30% for a passenger and/or in traffic for a less step-wise slowdown transition.

I also use a throttle lock while cruising on the highway to lock in a specific level of current to minimize wasteful pulsing of power and heat.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dennis-NL

• DS 2013 12.5 <<50500km 22-feb-2019>>
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 12:20:20 PM »

Don't forget Zero has built in safety margins.

I will never give up engine braking while riding.
Tried it, but going in to corners in 'neutral' is.....

I like theory craft, but riding is most important.
Want to ride as any ICE bike, only with much better power train.
On top of it: getting some energy back is also part of fun on a Zero, even if it's little, good to get something back after wasting it to get on speed!

Just drive is most important, everything what moves has wear, don't waste to much time on it.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:05:10 PM by dennis-NL »
current:  DS2013 12.5 50500km 22-feb-2019
previous: MotoGuzzi 1100Cal-96, Yamaha TDM850-00, Honda Magna700-86, Honda Shadow500-86

8) Enjoy each ride, now you can hear and feel everything around you !!!!
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8098.0;attach=9471;ima

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 08:13:43 PM »

On top of it: getting some energy back is also part of fun on a Zero, even if it's little, good to get something back after wasting it to get on speed!

There have been a few times, very infrequent but it does happen, where after a long coast down a fairly steep grade, my SoC indicator has ticked UP a point. If you see me with a shit-eating grin under my helmet, it's probably just happened.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »

There have been a few times, very infrequent but it does happen, where after a long coast down a fairly steep grade, my SoC indicator has ticked UP a point. If you see me with a shit-eating grin under my helmet, it's probably just happened.

That has happened to me once or twice, too.  But in my mind, coasting with the regen tuned off, except when braking, is more efficient and fits my method of riding better. (Besides it reminds me of my first car, a 1958  DKW Junior that had a free-wheeling clutch that would disconnect from the drive train on a trailing throttle to allow you to coast downhill. We used to call that "Mexican overdrive" years ago.  ;)  )
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

gborgan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 10:34:30 AM »

My SR can gain 3-5% just by exiting a freeway and riding at slow speeds. Just another new development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 [2]