• May 10, 2024, 09:05:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Zero SRSuperbike  (Read 2923 times)

Gains

• View Profile
Zero SRSuperbike
« on: June 03, 2020, 11:43:51 PM »

Zero SRSuperbike

Hello everybody
My wife has a zero 2013 s ,so did i.We use them also in winter,so it is nice to have some protection against wind and rain.We had both a three bricks battery thus limited range.There were no full fairings on the market so i decided to make them myself.It had to be aerodynamic, comfortable and beautiful.
Later i bought my 2017 sr and made again a fairing.This one has another top since everything around the handlebar is differend on the post 2013 models.I had the idea of bringing the mirrors inside the fairing.After two prototypes i found the right place to install them.They give a good view except when riding with a passenger.
I tested it on the highway in eco at 113 km/h twice.
First time at 12°C ,i had a range of 155 km
Second time at 25°C i had a range of 180 km
This was even better than i expected.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Zero SRSuperbike
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 11:57:06 PM »

Wow, those fairings look really good and integrate with the tank. I'm impressed!

US unit conversions:
96 miles in 54F weather
112 miles in 77F weather

Those are really good figures for 3-brick batteries! 8-9kWh suggests 80Wh/mi?

Please see if you can provide a better pack estimate for the efficiency calculation, and let us know how fast you were going.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Gains

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 12:01:56 AM »

Those figures are not from the 2013 s but from the 2017 sr (the red one)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 12:04:18 AM by Gains »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 12:05:10 AM »

Aha. So, taking the 13.0Kwh max-rated battery for 2017 as 11.4kWh nominal:

119Wh/mi in 54F weather
101Wh/mi in 77F weather

Those are good figures and represent a solid performance at highway speeds. Do you have a set speed or speed range you covered that distance within? Just trying to compare it to mixed riding or entirely-70mph (113kph) runs.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 12:24:59 AM »

Those look awesome, nice work. I particular like how you reused the stock headlight and extended the sides out so it would shield the legs, looks like it would be a nice place to put some chargers too. I take it the windshield is fixed to the handlebars and turns as you steer? Interesting design and certainly not the easy route, any particular reason you did it that way?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 12:26:47 AM »

I've cross-posted this over to the FB owners' group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/zmcowners/permalink/2968162839919571/

I also like the flaring of the fairing. Is any air taken in front around the front battery plate? That might help with cooling and some drag relief around the inherently flat front.

MyNamesTaken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 01:50:20 AM »

I want - nay, I NEED these fairings.
I'm throwing money at the monitor but still no fairings :(
Seriously, I want my Black Forest to get a decent range when riding faster than 90 km/h. How do I get my paws on these?
They look at least as good as the SR/S, if not better.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 02:01:26 AM by MyNamesTaken »

Gains

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 02:03:36 AM »

I did highway in two directions and looked at 50% soc how many km i had left.
The top turns with the handlebar so there is no big gap to turn the handlebar in,pure aerodynamical reason.
The air that goes passed the front wheel goes up to decrease the underpresser behind the winschield ,and a part of it comes out between my knees and the battery for the same reason. There is a plate that covers the front of the battery witch goes up to the front leggs,it keeps out dirt and water,but there is no coolingair to the battery

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 02:10:22 AM »

I did highway in two directions and looked at 50% soc how many km i had left.
The top turns with the handlebar so there is no big gap to turn the handlebar in,pure aerodynamical reason.

The Vetter nosecone/turret design is similar in this respect and really rare among fairing designs, but I like how it works and looks. The Hollywood Electrics fairing (HE) uses setback risers for the handlebars to clear the upper fairing at full swing instead.

The air that goes passed the front wheel goes up to decrease the underpresser behind the winschield ,and a part of it comes out between my knees and the battery for the same reason. There is a plate that covers the front of the battery witch goes up to the front leggs,it keeps out dirt and water,but there is no coolingair to the battery

Those sound like reasonable choices. Is the updraft through the center of the fairing behind the windscreen weak or strong?

One reason the battery often requires less air behind fairings is because of the reduction in power demand at speed. If you can arrange it, try to test how battery temperature rises at high speeds in hot weather.

Do you have previous experience in fairing design or aerodynamics, or is this your first design?

mistasam

• View Profile
    • newzeroland
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 02:19:57 AM »

Holy cow, that's so well done!!

Gains

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 02:40:08 AM »

The updraft behind the windscreen is rather weak,if you don t hold your hand above it you don t notice it.The air intake behind the wheel is very narrow, just 3 cm wider than the front leggs.
I made fairings for my moto guzzi 30 jears ago (yes i m old) and i learned about aerodynamics when i was aircraft engineer.

These fairings fit only on zero s / sr  ,sorry MyNamesTaken

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 02:47:47 AM »

Well done, then! Updraft should be not so strong that raindrops travel with the air through the fairing (obviously the rider doesn't like to get wet, but also the moisture collection can wear on the equipment).

The integration against the tank looks so seamless that I did not notice it from the side and thought you had fabricated a new tank.

The mirror placement looks "under arm" which might vary per rider. An owner could use bar end mirrors (like I did with the HE fairing) and use those spaces for paneling (12V power or phone mount).

Like the HE fairing, I suspect this might still work with DS/DSR bikes if the owner: (1) removes the DS high front fender and adapts the S low front fender, and (2) either swaps the handlebar or uses setback risers.

Gains

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 03:07:45 AM »

It actually is a new tank, and it can hold 18 liter. Everything inside stays dry even in heavy rain.
Speaking of heavy rain, have you noticed the rear wheel hugger?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 03:16:52 AM »

Wow. This keeps getting more impressive. Yes, that rear wheel hugger looks quite good.

Okay, so what we all are dying to know is can you produce these? I can't imagine it can be done terribly cheaply, but maybe you have enough plastic fabrication knowhow and access to make this feasible.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 04:35:33 AM »

Awsome work!!!! I sure want one exactly like that.  8)  I also have a SR2017 fully quiped but no fairing :-\

I know many in the fast shared their plans or even offered to sell the material or parts to make tghese like the famous Aprila RS125 that was fabulous!

Gain, even if you offer some plans or instructions to help us to ralise a project like yours, it would be apprecaited!

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon
Pages: [1] 2 3