• May 18, 2024, 10:24:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mission's IP now lives in Canada  (Read 5198 times)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Mission's IP now lives in Canada
« on: April 01, 2020, 10:15:04 AM »

So Damon Motorcycles announced they have purchased the Mission Motors IP.  The speed record setting drive trains from Mission will live on and I hope will make it into customers hands this time.

mistasam

• View Profile
    • newzeroland
Re: Mission's IP now lives in Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 04:56:18 AM »

WHAT!  Please let this not be an April fools joke  ;D

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 09:24:14 PM »

I know right?  Nope no joke.

This was their joke.
edit
Sorry the FB police won't let me link it.
It's on the Damon FB page, it has dual Tesla "not a flame throwers" to burn up the track.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:27:16 PM by NEW2elec »

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 08:33:39 PM »

I was told Honda Mugen had licensed it, used it at TT Zero.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 07:41:10 AM »

I saw a certain Forum member on Damon's FB page talking about the Mission IP with the guys at Damon.
And even though he did a little mocking of my excitement of the Damon HS and calling it out as the dreaded vaporware, I forgive him.
I won't say who it was but his father was a legend in motorcycle aero design for speed records but that could be any of the forum members.
 ;)

Makes it a little more exciting company now doesn't it?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:38:09 AM by NEW2elec »

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 08:41:52 AM »

I did send the Damon guy a friend request but he hasn't responded yet :(

I did call it vaporware at first and he politely but firmly responded that he was doing everything he could to make this bike happen. So I'm going to give him some space and watch, but I have my doubts. The Mission stuff is fascinating because there is hidden tech in that bike that no one else uses. Kinda like the ancient battle suit/armor in the movie Alita: Battle Angel. If they can incorporate it into what they're doing the bikes could become VERY attractive.

Lots of IFs.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 04:10:10 PM »

Oh hi Morgan what brings you by?  LOL

I hope it works out for them too.  I think like so many startups it will come down to good old money and what spending will be like post Covid.

I work with two guys, one is a Busa rider and the other rides an R1.  The Busa rider rags on my "electric scooter" DSR at every chance.  I told him I'd race him any time and he shot back how much?  I said you name the amount and I'll name the place.  He said all I had and I said across a muddy field and he called it off.  The R1 guy is nicer but no interest in the DSR.
When I showed them both the Damon they both lit up.  The Busa rider thought the ride position change "was awesome" and the R1 guy said damn now that's a sharp bike. Neither one cares about a 21kWh battery or the copilot tech but the claimed 200MPH got their attention.
That's when I felt they really had a bike that had a broad appeal and if things go right could be successful.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 01:30:58 AM »

Yes but this is basically what the Lightning was supposed to be and it’s a train wreck. Did you show them the new Energica EGO+?

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 02:11:29 AM »

Their bikes go over 150MPH so they weren't interested in going slower.  They are pretty dang good riders just don't tell them I said it.  Plus the front end of the Ego could use a redo.  Have yall gotten an updated release date yet?

I've thought about how I've never seen a Lightning team or even like a second or third in command.  That may be part of their problem.

Very far side note, did you see the Atlis battery day video talking about their approach to battery cell design and thermal management?  Claiming a possible 0% to 100% in 9 minutes and 26 seconds.  It's a long video but pretty interesting if just a white board demo.  I'd like to know what you and Brandon think about it.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 02:49:44 AM »

Release date? People are getting bikes delivered. Our very own togo here took delivery of his SS9+ last week. I hear a full container is due to arrive late next week.

As far as Atlis there's a myriad of miracle-breakthrough tech people who all claim the same thing. It tends to be all talk. Prismatic cans are not new. They're used in the EV car side of things. The only bike that uses them is the LiveWire. Yes, thermal management is huge. Incredibly essential, really. There's just no room for the sort of cooling it demands on a motorcycle. I'd love to be proven wrong, though!

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 05:13:08 AM »

Oh they are out already?  Very good.  I had been checking Cycle Trader as one dealer showed them as coming soon.

When all this stuff is over I'm looking forward to yalls big multi bike road test and review.

Atlis is talking about a bit more than just a prismatic cell though.  The cells would be in an insulated case and the whole thing in a liquid solution.  He seems like he is excited about it anyway.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 07:06:51 AM »

I got my SS9+

Way more battery, and *less* weight.  Instead a cast battery box, it's now precision cnc machined.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 08:40:39 AM »

Awesome Togo.  Can you do a few discharge and recharge legs to show Dontom it's better for touring than the old model.  He doesn't think it is but I feel it has to just be a spec typo.
Enjoy the ride when you can.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 11:07:41 AM »

Battery is bigger in the Plus models vs the priors but charge rate isn't higher (yet).  So if there are enough stations the only time difference is fine station/plug/activate/unplug get going overhead.

Future firmware updates may change that. Stations can deliver higher charge rates, and it stands to reason that a larger capacity battery would accept a higher charge rate.  Mine is limited to 75A since it has the latest firmware. Prior firmware allowed 80A, so it's possible an SS9 with prior firmware might even outdistance a SS9+, again assuming enough available stations.

jazclrint

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 11:15:13 AM »

I did send the Damon guy a friend request but he hasn't responded yet :(

I did call it vaporware at first and he politely but firmly responded that he was doing everything he could to make this bike happen. So I'm going to give him some space and watch, but I have my doubts. The Mission stuff is fascinating because there is hidden tech in that bike that no one else uses. Kinda like the ancient battle suit/armor in the movie Alita: Battle Angel. If they can incorporate it into what they're doing the bikes could become VERY attractive.

Lots of IFs.

I would argue it's not the hardware but the software at this point.
Pages: [1] 2