• May 05, 2024, 04:30:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Anyone replace SRF tank lid themselves?  (Read 554 times)

gstrub

• View Profile
Anyone replace SRF tank lid themselves?
« on: February 19, 2020, 10:58:17 PM »

I’m getting the new non-gapped tank apparatus in the mail since I am 350mi from the nearest dealer. Anyone do this themselves and if so have pics/instructions?

siai47

• View Profile
Re: Anyone replace SRF tank lid themselves?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 11:25:24 PM »

I have removed and reinstalled the lid for another reason.  Pretty straightforward, however there are a couple of things to look out for.  You need to remove the tank (which is easy) by removing the six fasteners that hold in to the bike.  After that, there are a ton of screws to remove to take the "tank" sides off.  This will give you access to the pins that hold the lid to the tank.  This is the only tricky part.  With the lid fully open, the springs will be relaxed.  You need to look carefully at the end of the pivot pins to see how they are retained.  There is a small spring loaded pin that keeps the pivot pin in place.  I used a small pick to depress the small pin each time it passed through the supports and the tank lid.  There is a small plastic spacer on the pin on each side of the tank cover that you don't want to loose while removing the pins.  Take a picture of the area where you are working before you start so you won't be mistaken about spacer or spring location when you put it back together.  Reinstalling the pivot pin is simple as the retaining pin just pushes in as you slide the pivot pin into place.  I wish I had taken pictures but I did not and seeing how I no longer have my SR/F, I can't take any now.  However, like I said, pretty easy.  Just keep an eye on the little parts and where they go. 
1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 12:19:07 AM »

Thanks!

I'm wondering if there is any documentation from Zero that might have some instructions/diagrams...did you just give it a go or did you follow something? No YouTube videos unfortunately:(

siai47

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 07:59:13 PM »

I "just give it a go"  It's not hard to do and I doubt a video is necessary.  I pointed out the only things to look out for and it's really pretty easy to do.  Get a friend to help if you are unsure and take a lot of pictures with your phone.  Its simple and rewarding to do it yourself especially if you are 350 miles from a dealer.  You will learn a little bit about what is "under the hood" when you take the tank off and what's unique about owning a Zero.  I would do a video for you (maybe someone else will) but as I said, I no longer have the SR/F.  You could post your pictures on this site after you do the replacement of the lid to help assure others how easy it is to do this kind of maintenance.   
1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 04:47:53 AM »

Did it. Zero dealer sent me their instructions which was super helpful:)

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 08:27:51 PM »

gstrub is that something you can share? Those instructions. Or wasn't it in a shareable format like PDF or so.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 12:48:07 AM »

Done, I posted it in a new thread

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 12:43:05 PM »

Awesome thanks! I haven't received the updated Lid yet. My dealer asked for it but didn't get any updates so far.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 02:21:31 PM »

By the way, there's the other thread the instructions are in:  https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9929

Just in case someone searching finds this thread instead.  I always hate that, when I end up with that result myself ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]