• May 22, 2024, 10:06:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My "Big" 4th of July Ride  (Read 1891 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: My "Big" 4th of July Ride
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 04:04:43 AM »

In other news: I happened to see Doug this morning at Alice's Restaurant.  He rode in to the Skylonda shopping center parking lot just as I was leaving on my BMW with a friend to go for a ride along the sunny   8) coast.  It is a small world.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 07:06:15 AM »

Curious about the outcome of your error 49. How was it fixed?

The error codes #25 ("Contactor Open Warning") and #49 ("Contactor Open Disable") are on the dash display each time I power up.

Normally I don't have my dash set up to display the error codes so I don't know exactly how long there have been problems. According to the tech at Zero the bike logs showed that there have been something wrong for a month or so (I had no idea). Someone else on the forum mentioned that the bike log error messages can keep piling up until there is no more memory - I guess that's when the bike actually stops running (what was that comment about aviation? ;))   

I'll probably leave the dash set to display the error codes from now on.

I'll contact Zero tomorrow (if they don't call me first). Hopefully I'll know more soon.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 12:27:56 PM »

Yep, that's me! What a terrific weekend we (me, my brother and his wife) had. I'm near San Diego (El Cajon to be exact) and I decided to trailer my bike up, and my brother and his wife (proud owners of a heavyweight Yamaha ICE bike) went up with me. I learned to ride in Santa Cruz at the age of 12 (omg.....41 years ago now) and have been itching to get my bike in the Santa Cruz mountains since I received it in January 2014. It was a fantastic decision.

Okay, so I didn't quite complete the ride. But doesn't somebody have to define the tail end of the envelope? For the record: me (weight disadvantage) and my bike (windshield advantage, 11.4 2014 battery disadvantage to the 2015 12.5s AND their power tanks) didn't quite make it to the end of the ride. Instead, I got to meet a friendly handyman at Casa de Fruta (Google it) who let me recharge for an hour to get home, and got to cuss out Craig Vetter, who promised a 75-mile ride but delivered better than 80 by my odometer. I MIGHT have been able to limp home; I had 7% remaining with 7.2 miles indicating on Google maps, but limping home at 30 mph on the freeway seemed ill-advised at best.

Also for the record, my bike has yet to fail to get me home, in 16,000 miles now, except on this ride when I failed IT (I asked too much of it, plain and simple...I could and should have turned around before the midpoint). It did fail to "start" once due to water infiltration, and it failed to charge once due to the onboard charger failing.

I got home two hours ago after 13 hours on the road (lots of road work causing hours of delay!), and I unloaded the bike and hopped on it to make sure everything was good. I wound up taking a half-hour ride just because I could. It's that kind of bike, it's that kind of experience, it's that kind of lifestyle.

It was a wonderful chance to meet Craig Vetter, Mike Corbin, Dave and Terry, and everybody else. I can't stand the thought of going to work tomorrow. Deep sigh.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.
Pages: 1 [2]